• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Alpha - Power Fairway

I am hoping to replace my rivers but there are not enough trees around me and I cannot find a sublime royal blue one to try. But I am loving the flight of the purple apex and pearly eternals.

Finally got a chance to throw an Alpha...hit up Disc Nation while on vacation in Austin. I tried out the Orange Apex 2nd run they have available as a tester. Have to say I was very impressed with the disc given the few throws I got in with it. Very similar to my OLFs, but probably a bit more distance potential, but its hard to say given i only got to throw it a handful of times. The Alpha was too OS for my liking for my BH, but it was very nice for 375-400' FH shots. It won't be replacing the OLFs...Good mold and a solid debut from Mint Discs, but disc of the decade is some serious hyperbole.

.., but disc of the decade is some serious hyperbole.
But it's so versatile, that it can literally cover any shot. And they have a flight chart based on disc color! Just ignore the fact that the manufacturer claims that literally every single one of their discs fly differently from each other. Of course it's disc of the decade.

After reading through all of this, I think I may be making my first non gyro purchase in a very long time. I like the idea that by purchasing three different alphas, I can cover everything but super understable. Thinking of getting a candy pink, sublime light blue, and purple apex. By looking at the color to stability chart released I think this may cover everything I am looking for. Might even get a royal blue sublime. How does this set up sound to those that have thrown them?

Last edited:
But it's so versatile, that it can literally cover any shot. And they have a flight chart based on disc color! Just ignore the fact that the manufacturer claims that literally every single one of their discs fly differently from each other. Of course it's disc of the decade.

I like that Mint has been transparent with the variation between plastics/colors. It helps the consumer determine what they should get to be happy with their purchase. It would be nice if all manufacturers would do something similar when a run flies differently than expected.

With that being said, one of the main reasons I have avoided Legacy discs is the huge variation between colors/runs of the same mold. I'd rather not have to keep track of which color is more flippy or more beefy than others.

I intentionally tried out the orange 2nd run apex because it was the most true to the intended flight numbers Of the available testers at Disc Nation. I wanted to get a sense of how the mold is supposed to fly. From my limited time throwing it, I really liked the disc, not enough to replace my OLFs but those have been my favorite driver mold for several years now. If I need more beef I have firebirds for that, if I need more turn, I can pull out a FD. It appears to be a very good disc,but the way some people hype it up is beyond overboard.

Last edited:
I like that Mint has been transparent with the variation between plastics/colors. It helps the consumer determine what they should get to be happy with their purchase. It would be nice if all manufacturers would do something similar when a run flies differently than expected.

The other thing I try to be transparent about is that this model really only works while we are small. Its going to be a challenge to scale this stuff as our runs and plastic options get larger, but it will still be a focus to stay that course. The flight number differences really only matter with drivers as well. All that is why you don't see it from any other manufacturers. I won't shy away from the fact that right now that gets us attention in an industry dominated by a few titans. Its part fan boy from my dgcr/dgr days, and part sales tactics from my years at Disc Nation.

Last edited:
The other thing I try to be transparent about is that this model really only works while we are small. Its going to be a challenge to scale this stuff as our runs and plastic options get larger, but it will still be a focus to stay that course. The flight number differences really only matter with drivers as well. All that is why you don't see it from any other manufacturers. I won't shy away from the fact that right now that gets us attention in an industry dominated by a few titans. Its part fan boy from my dgcr/dgr days, and part sales tactics from my years at Disc Nation.

Basically, this is exactly why I want to check Mint out. That, and the descriptions of these discs sound like they may fit the bill better between my drivers and fairway drivers. I need an actual control driver and the volt class and I don't get along. That and I honestly think the volt class is to close to the tesla class anyway. Right now I go from tesla class to resistor class. I'm hoping that the alpha will fit in well between the two.

After reading through all of this, I think I may be making my first non gyro purchase in a very long time. I like the idea that by purchasing three different alphas, I can cover everything but super understable. Thinking of getting a candy pink, sublime light blue, and purple apex. By looking at the color to stability chart released I think this may cover everything I am looking for. Might even get a royal blue sublime. How does this set up sound to those that have thrown them?

First Non-Gyro purchase? Wellllll... technically....... ;)

They are out of stock on that blend/color combination. If they happen to be in stock.. or have some available.... I also would like to know.

We would too...

I would seriously suggest the Apex Purple as well. They hold annys pretty well. It is best keep secret of the second run. Very similar to the Eternal Blue first runs.

We would too...

I would seriously suggest the Apex Purple as well. They hold annys pretty well. It is best keep secret of the second run. Very similar to the Eternal Blue first runs.

I need to beat my purples in more. They hold a line and make a wonderful S curve or flex shot, but I am not getting them to hold the anny line the entire flight like I can with a River or Maul. And I am hoping to remove those 2 models out of the bag... I am just getting one River beaten to the point I believe I can remove the maul.

I got a Purple Apex 2nd run and it's a good disc, just too similar to my beat-in S-PD. I'm going to carry it for a while and use it in place of my S-PD to see how it does with some wear.

We would too...

One of my purple Apexs is pretty broken in now. I've started using it for long annys and flip ups that surprise me with how little power they need. It's not much more stable than my C-line FD honestly. It doesn't so much want to turn from flat shots, but if you start it out on the anny angle it holds it for nearly the entire flight.

Late to the party here, but I recently lost a nicely seasoned champ thunderbird. I've no problems snagging another champ thundy to put back in the bag, but I wouldn't mind giving the alpha a try because I've heard a lot of praise about it (and they're perty). Any particular plastic/run/color/dome profile that would give me similar flight? Looking for that straight to fade with good glide.

I'm struggling to find my groove with this disc. The only shots I find myself reaching for it on are pretty situational. Where there's a bit of wind and I would normally throw a mid, but I worry it won't quite get there, or will get pushed around too much.

I find my pearly green just doesn't get a ton of distance for me, compared to my Teebirds. And it's pretty swingy, a fair bit of turn and fade. So potentially very workable but challenging to rip with consistency.
It could also just be that straight shots are more needed on my home course.
I think I need to take it out for a 1 disc round and try to get to know this disc a little more.

One of my purple Apexs is pretty broken in now. I've started using it for long annys and flip ups that surprise me with how little power they need. It's not much more stable than my C-line FD honestly. It doesn't so much want to turn from flat shots, but if you start it out on the anny angle it holds it for nearly the entire flight.

This is my experience as well with my purple that's starting to season. Give it just a little nudge to take that turn and it just flat out carves and holds its for most of the flight before fighting out.

Damn. An Alpha replacing an FD? I have several Alphas, but I haven't seen any that I would deem "understable" like most FDs... I'm jelly.

zj is right, i hit a lot of trees on some of my home courses lol . this is my first alpha i ever got and have been throwing it ever since. it is not as understable as my sfd yet but it is close. i think my beat up eternal is close to the purple apex from the 2nd run but less stable still.

while i was not the first to coin the disc of the decade phrase for this disc i still feel it deserves at least disc of the year. i still am very honest about how i feel about this disc and has surpassed the initial new disc phase. the new disc love usually lasts a short while for me but this has been a well received disc locally and nationally. i think a lot of people are just taking to it well because its not a super fast, overstable or understable disc,its a disc that anyone can use and build a bag around. its been great watching friends and letting new friends see what i see in this disc.

like everything else though, opinions will vary.

Depending on run/color of course, I think of it as a teebird for mortals. When I was in my earlier years of playing, the teebird was my go-to for every fairway shot. Now, probably due to extra weight and less flexibility, I find it hard to really get on top of a teebird and get that 330-350 straight flight. The Alpha can fill that spot easily.

Great disc so far. I look forward to throwing it more this winter. Really looking like it will be the go-to fairway for 2018 for me.

Well, I picked up two Pearl Eternals today - one pink and one green. I initially thought the pink was the Candy version, so I was expecting something quite OS. Apparently it is Pearl, because these two seem to fly basically the same.

After about 30 throws this afternoon, my first impressions are very positive. They fly pretty close to my seasoned Rivals, only a little longer and a little faster. On a couple throws they were getting close to touching distances I normally reach with my Outlaws. Really interesting disc that I plan to throw a lot more. I am a little nervous this mold may blow up my current fairway lineup, but we will see as I continue to test them out over the next few months.

Oh and the plastic is great. I dig the pearly look and they are nice and flat.