• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am to Open: What Rating?

At what rating ought a player move from am to open?

• Never

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • >1030

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • >1020

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >1010

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >1000

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • >990

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • >980

Votes: 31 23.5%
  • >970

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • >960

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • >950

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • >940

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
It's not so much a rating issue but when your scores would be cashing in Open every so often in your area.

Depends on the event and the caliber of competition. Same with Masters eligible pros.

Depending on your area, and competition, it will vary. The number for your area might be 950. But 950 in Charlotte wouldn't stand a chance.

I feel like this one could get out of hand..........

It's not so much a rating issue but when your scores would be cashing in Open every so often in your area.

"Every so often" is pretty subjective on its own, though.. for some players, they are fine playing open if they cash every once in a blue moon, others are fine playing open when they break even financially, others are fine playing open when on average they cash, etc.

Personally, I'd consider playing open (regardless of event) if my rating were 970+.

In my experience at least, I am usually playing 10-20 points above what my current rating is because of lower rated rounds still being counted. So whenever I reach 950-960, I should be playing in the high 900s and ready for open. I really don't care about winning plastic anyway, so I'm not as sensitive to "donating" as a lot of people are

It doesn't matter for Open because it's the top division in your area. In North Carolina, you better be posting 980 average to contend for cash at least in B-tiers and higher. In some areas, the Open players range from 925-975. A 930 player can cash and still play Am at bigger events when he travels. There's no right answer for every area and person.

Unless it's changed 970+ is considered a Gold player. Pros with below a 970 rating can play Am.

in my state, you'll want to be 980+ to have a chance at cashing in most open events.

but any rating could play open. i voted 980 just from personal experience.

I voted 970. I think the cash vs plastic equation contributes, otherwise I might have said 980. Also, when tournaments have cash added it is often only to the pro payout.

It doesn't matter for Open because it's the top division in your area. In North Carolina, you better be posting 980 average to contend for cash at least in B-tiers and higher. In some areas, the Open players range from 925-975. A 930 player can cash and still play Am at bigger events when he travels. There's no right answer for every area and person.

It matters in the sense that Am1 doesn't receive the same protections as Am2-Am4. Theoretically a 1030 rated player could be competing with a 940 rated player, in which case divisions wouldn't be serving their purpose- to group competition by skill level.

Doesn't matter in Open. That's the point. You move to Open when you don't care about playing within a skill level, just playing with the best in your area.

It matters in the sense that Am1 doesn't receive the same protections as Am2-Am4. Theoretically a 1030 rated player could be competing with a 940 rated player, in which case divisions wouldn't be serving their purpose- to group competition by skill level.

Open is a pro division. Pro is a separate classification from Am, not a division above Am1. While your scenario is theoretically possible, its simply not reality, as there are currently only two 1000+ rated Ams in the entire world and only seven rated 990+.