• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am to Open: What Rating?

At what rating ought a player move from am to open?

• Never

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • >1030

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • >1020

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >1010

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >1000

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • >990

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • >980

Votes: 31 23.5%
  • >970

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • >960

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • >950

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • >940

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
A person should move to open when he is ready to. I moved up when the advanced comp. began to get too easy for me. "too easy" meant that I could shoot poorly and still cash.

One of the better statements in this thread yet. Each state is VERY different in terms of talent. No question. Also, why not talks of elite pros versus open players. There seems to be two distinct divisions already in pro. Those who play open cause they think they are great and those that ARE actually GREAT. Just a thought.

Isn't that kind of what happened at the USDGC? There was pro field, which was all the elite players, and then there was the other group, still all pros, but the lower tier of local pros.

I know in Indiana, Our top pro is 1013. That's not the elite 1030-1040 players. We only have 5 in IN over 1000. Top 10 gets to 985 range. So it isn't as big a deal here as some of the more powerhouse states might be (CA, FL, NC)

I just think it is wrong that people who maybe don't want the extra level of competition and stress of going pro, paying more for PDGA membership, paying more for each tourney entry fee. They get ragged on so hard for staying AM. Not everyone needs the "I have to play the best all the time and i want to be open" Many people just enjoy being out and playing tournaments for the love of playing, and the chance to play different courses and with different people. with a little on the line. Why should that person be forced to spend all this extra money, just because they happen to be good at throwing a disc?

That's why people can choose, AM or PRO. 2 different beasts in motivation, cost, stress, competition. Who are we to say what someone else can play? Are we going to pay all the extra money for that person to play the division we think he should be in? Doubtful.

I still say that if you don't like getting beat by that highly rated person, either don't play tournaments with them, get better, or quit whining. :D

Last edited:
Isn't that kind of what happened at the USDGC? There was pro field, which was all the elite players, and then there was the other group, still all pros, but the lower tier of local pros.

I know in Indiana, Our top pro is 1013. That's not the elite 1030-1040 players. We only have 5 in IN over 1000. Top 10 gets to 985 range. So it isn't as big a deal here as some of the more powerhouse states might be (CA, FL, NC)

I just think it is wrong that people who maybe don't want the extra level of competition and stress of going pro, paying more for PDGA membership, paying more for each tourney entry fee. They get ragged on so hard for staying AM. Not everyone needs the "I have to play the best all the time and i want to be open" Many people just enjoy being out and playing tournaments for the love of playing, and the chance to play different courses and with different people. with a little on the line. Why should that person be forced to spend all this extra money, just because they happen to be good at throwing a disc?

That's why people can choose, AM or PRO. 2 different beasts in motivation, cost, stress, competition. Who are we to say what someone else can play? Are we going to pay all the extra money for that person to play the division we think he should be in? Doubtful.

I still say that if you don't like getting beat by that highly rated person, either don't play tournaments with them, get better, or quit whining. :D

I see your point. but instead of using the money excuse, or the "fun" excuse why not just admit that some people are afraid of their own mediocrity in the grand scheme of things.

I think he knows who I am and meant it as a personal insult. ;)

It's apparently one of the things Chuck and I agree on. Am and pro status are, and should be completely separate and ratings should have no effect on them.

Using an ice cream analogy in reference to our classifications is just something Chuck would do.....since he equates us to other random things

Open isn't "up" from am. It's a completely different classification. It's like saying that once you have a vanilla ice cream cone you should move "up" to chocolate. Chocolate isn't "up" from vanilla, it's a different flavor.

Semantics

Not sure if this has been said, but making Am divisions trophy only would be horrible for the disc golf economy. This is where a lot of discs get "purchased", and where a lot of clubs make the money for the awesome things they do.

EVERYONE OVER 900 SHOULD PLAY PRO!!!!

(At least as long as my rating lingers at 898)

Not sure if this has been said, but making Am divisions trophy only would be horrible for the disc golf economy. This is where a lot of discs get "purchased", and where a lot of clubs make the money for the awesome things they do.

They can still sell discs. Plus....If they just give everyone discs for their entry fee. Then it would work out fine. Read the thread before u post.

Which is why its flawed. Create an Elite Am level. Problem solved

Creating extra divisions doesn't solve anything. There will always be baggers that play at the top of their division and refuse to move up.

The answer is to accept this, get better and move up yourself, or quit playing tourneys.

Creating extra divisions doesn't solve anything. There will always be baggers that play at the top of their division and refuse to move up.

The answer is to accept this, get better and move up yourself, or quit playing tourneys.

My issue isn't with baggers. U can't bag a division with no cap. We have a new name for those. Puss crack sounds good to me.

I have been playing intermediate for past 2 years cause most my friends do. I've played off and as a chucker for 5 years. I just moved up to 942 rated and plan on moving up to open this spring. And you know what? I played my first non sactioned event 2 weeks ago and got 3rd. Missed 2nd by one stroke. I want to get schooled. Better players equals better play. I will learn more and be a much better player than my friends that stay behind. I once told a local pro I'd play .50 skins with him just so he would want to play with a scrub like me(back then). I knew I'd loose but well worth it. U have to pay ur dues to get to the top!

Last edited:
When you think you can cash consistently in your area you go pro. But thats for any division upgrade.

I moved up when I was 961 I believe, but that wasn't why I moved up. I was winning most the tournaments I was playing in Advanced or getting top 3. It just felt like it was time. I think it's totally up to the player when they're ready, but if a player is able to achieve a 970+ rating with 5 or more tourneys included in that update then I think they are honestly ready to play pro if we had to base it on ratings.

A lot of the problem, which no one is talking about, is how most places nobody actually follows the lower rating guidelines. If you're rated 930 you shouldn't be complaining about a 975 player ruining Advanced -- you should be playing in Intermediate. (And same thing if you're an 890 player complaining about the 930 guy in Intermediate -- you should be playing Rec.)

Ams really shouldn't worry about what division they are playing in based on rating anyways. Their rating is usually always changing due to inconsistancy and continued improvement which makes them somewhat innacurrate. Play in the division which you feel suits you best.

Ams really shouldn't worry about what division they are playing in based on rating anyways. Their rating is usually always changing due to inconsistancy and continued improvement which makes them somewhat innacurrate. Play in the division which you feel suits you best.

Good thing some outspoken AMs got Chuck to double-weight a player's most recent rounds to reduce this problem a long time ago......but what you said remains true.