• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Anode vs. Nova

natedg1976

Double Eagle Member
So for the last couple of days I have been throwing a proton soft Anode and a Nova side by side doing comparisons. I am gonna just do it simply as I can.

Nova: very grippy,even when wet, great putter, hits and sticks extremely well, hardly ever any roll offs. The Nova is touted as a great driving putter, but between rim depth and the amount of tackiness I can not get a clean release off of it in a power situation. The nova does hit and hold lines well. To me it is also a neat looking disc.

Anode: grippy, even when wet. The nova has more grip when wet, but I don't find the anode slick when wet by any means. I get a cleaner release from the anode in power situations. It is very accurate as an approach and long putt disc. I haven't notice the anode being anymore skippy nor does it have any more of a tendency to roll off then the nova. As a pure putter the anode is about tied with the nova for me.

So all that being said for me they are both great discs. I am more apt to grab the anode for approaches and long putts outside the circle. Inside the circle I am about even between which one I will grab.

I know that there are some out there that don't like either of these disc and I want to hear why, but please try and keep oh this sucks or that sucks with no reason to a minimum. Also I know a lot of you do not like the way the Nova looks. I don't care about that. The way it looks DOES NOT have any effect on the way any disc performs.

Feel free to chime in folks. People that have actually compared these discs are who I really want to hear from.

I know a lot of you do not like the way the Nova looks. I don't care about that. The way it looks DOES NOT have any effect on the way any disc performs.

Technically true. BUT, it's not unreasonable for a player to avoid a disc based on looks. Especially the Nova's looks.

...but please try and keep oh this sucks or that sucks with no reason to a minimum...

Yea, good luck with that. :\

Please elaborate...

Let's just say I'm not fond of the Nova's looks, although I admit I haven't seen one in person. I can't speak of the flight of course, but from what I've read it sounds a lot like a RFF Magic. Straight, with a grippy edge.

The Anode also sounds very similar, but I don't think MVP's overmold has the same grip as the gummy blend on the Nova. (Again, from what I've read)

Is Nova's overmold from same material as Atlas's? If so, it's much more grippier than MVP's.

I have tested Neutron Anode on wet once, and it felt awkward that the rim was more grippier than the flight plate, like it got stuck in my palm on release.

Is Nova's overmold from same material as Atlas's? If so, it's much more grippier than MVP's.

I have tested Neutron Anode on wet once, and it felt awkward that the rim was more grippier than the flight plate, like it got stuck in my palm on release.

The plastics are both pro based, not star.

Let's just say I'm not fond of the Nova's looks, although I admit I haven't seen one in person. I can't speak of the flight of course, but from what I've read it sounds a lot like a RFF Magic. Straight, with a grippy edge.

The Anode also sounds very similar, but I don't think MVP's overmold has the same grip as the gummy blend on the Nova. (Again, from what I've read)

Don't believe everything you read, the ones I've held, Sprintermatt's and the various ones they had at the USDGC, were a stiff blend of pro.

Fun fact...saw no MVP at the USDGC, anywhere.

Well I've never seen anyone throw a Latitude 64 disc. Ever.

In other words:
What we see, or what we don't see doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of disc golf.

Don't believe everything you read, the ones I've held, Sprintermatt's and the various ones they had at the USDGC, were a stiff blend of pro.

Fun fact...saw no MVP at the USDGC, anywhere.

Calling it now. Next year you will :) As it is you can see me run #7 and more with MVP on my youtube!

Well I've never seen anyone throw a Latitude 64 disc. Ever.

In other words:
What we see, or what we don't see doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of disc golf.

I don't understand how you see anyone throw anything from your keyboard.

Mike, I wanna see you qualify and tear Winthrop a new one. I've seen the YouTube video, now I wanna see you on Disc Golf Planet, minus the glitches.

Mike, I wanna see you qualify and tear Winthrop a new one. I've seen the YouTube video, now I wanna see you on Disc Golf Planet, minus the glitches.

If I understand this correctly, you want Mike to be in the Open Flight. To be eligible, he must place in the top five at a Major, or NT event next year. OR place in the top five on Qualifying Monday.

Performance Flight is...well...let's just say I could probably qualify if I had the time to play enough tourneys. :\

I don't understand how you see anyone throw anything from your keyboard.

:clap::D LOL. Right. I mean no offense Big Sky but 4110 post and only one course played. How often do you get out? I am out every day I am off and I see Lat 64 used almost everytime I am on the course. Everytime. Same as westside, mvp, millennium, gateway, all of them. Do you even play disc golf anymore Big?

:clap::D LOL. Right. I mean no offense Big Sky but 4110 post and only one course played. How often do you get out? I am out every day I am off and I see Lat 64 used almost everytime I am on the course. Everytime. Same as westside, mvp, millennium, gateway, all of them. Do you even play disc golf anymore Big?

Do I post often? Yep.

How often do I play? Well, about one round a week. Wife, three kids, and two jobs will do that to you.

Just because someone has one course listed in their profile doesn't mean they've only played one course. ;)

As for why I haven't seen Lat, I'm not sure. Luck of the draw I guess. I've seen MVP, Prodigy, Westside, Gateway, Lightning...etc. I admit it's weird, and that was my whole point to Streets. Just because I haven't seen a disc doesn't mean it's not popular.

If I understand this correctly, you want Mike to be in the Open Flight. To be eligible, he must place in the top five at a Major, or NT event next year. OR place in the top five on Qualifying Monday.

Performance Flight is...well...let's just say I could probably qualify if I had the time to play enough tourneys. :\

Hambrick in Columbus, Mike can easily finish in the top on that course! We should take up donations and sponsor him from DGCR. He can only he discs that Jonnhy Depth approves, though.

Mike, if you are sponsored by anyone else, please tell them no. We can easily raise five or tens bucks for you on here, and I can make a mean drifit with sharpie of your name, possibly also your pdga number if I have time. Also, the drifit will be used, it will be green, and it is from my private collection so it will be a few sizes too big.

Welcome to team DGCR!

Nova: very grippy,even when wet, great putter, hits and sticks extremely well, hardly ever any roll offs. The Nova is touted as a great driving putter, but between rim depth and the amount of tackiness I can not get a clean release off of it in a power situation. The nova does hit and hold lines well. To me it is also a neat looking disc.

I played with a Nova last week when i was in CA at Huntington Beach, Long Beach, & La Mirada. Would have been playing with the 2 anodes i had coming except for a mail mix up. IMHO the Nova is very grippy (almost too much) & i also could not get a clean release when trying to throw it far! It does stick to the chains well, but only on center hits, off center hits slid out as easily (IME) as any other putter. It did'nt seem to have much glide also, maybe because of the little "slits" on the rim!?
Saturday i got a chance to try out 1 of the Anode's i got, at the local course here in Las Vegas. I like the feel of the Proton Soft Anode better than the pro plastic of the Nova, but only got to use it 1 day & have yet to get used to it. I tried to throw a long approach with a lot of power & "yanked the heck" out of it hitting a tree. Off hand i think the rim may be just a little deep or i just need more time with it.

Latest posts