• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another OB debate / rules question.

prerube

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
This thread will probably be answered quickly by one of our rules experts, but Jrawk, Kachtz, and I were talking about what the appropriate call is.

Scenerio.
Hole 18 Tie score. Thrower 1 tosses his disc towards a water hazard and lands inches from a drop off into the water, next shot should be an easy putt into the basket. Thrower 2 tosses and hits disc 1 knocking it into the water.
Is thrower 1 now OB? Did this lucky bump just give thrower 2 the win?

In ball golf one players ball can not knock another person OB, but in most DG scenerios if a disc is out of bounds it is OB no mater how it gets there. If a disc is stuck in a tree and a player hits it, you play it from the new location.

PGDA RULE BOOK: A disc being hit by another disc is no different than a disc being blown down by a gust of wind.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain you replace the disc where the group agrees it came to rest, but I'm too lazy to look up the rule to back that up. It's no different than a disc getting knocked out of the basket after a made putt, it's still good.

This was covered in the Rules School story on the Interference rule. Read 803.07B for your answer. The difference from a disc in a tree is Player 1's disc was on the playing surface.

B. If a disc at rest on the playing surface or supported by the target is moved, the disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. If a marker disc is moved, the marker disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. (If the two meter penalty is in effect See also 803.08 D and E for movement of a disc above the playing surface.)

Looks like you do replace it, thanks Chuck.

I hatez rulez
rulez.gif
:p..

Here's another question. Disc lands on, is completely surrounded by, and is supported from sinking by thick scum floating on top of OB water. Player says it's not OB and takes relief from the scum in the direction of the basket. Majority of group let's her. How many strokes should she have taken?

This is why the holeing out rule was changed. Before if the disc was "at rest" in the chains a player could then knock it out because holeing out was considered complete only when the disc was retrieved from the chains/basket. This was a contradiction to the above rule, I'm glad they changed it.

Not true, under the old rules, if your disc was knocked out you replaced it in the basket, then holed out. Now you can just pick it up and consider it holed out.

Here's another question. Disc lands on, is completely surrounded by, and is supported from sinking by thick scum floating on top of OB water. Player says it's not OB and takes relief from the scum in the direction of the basket. Majority of group let's her. How many strokes should she have taken?

Disc was surrounded by ob, so it should have been an ob stroke and distance back to where it crossed the ob line.