• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmandiscer

Banned
This topic primarily applies to PDGA pro events but some courses as well when making artificial hazards and OB.

I grew up playing mostly golf with disc golf being more of a hobby. In golf hazards exist where you have an option to either play it where it lies or with a shot penalty move to where it last crossed into the hazard.

OB is a shot which lands not on the golf course or property. Like someones backyard. That incurs a shot penalty and a re-tee or shot (which I actually disagree with it should be played where it went OB imo but I digress).

I think that disc golf currently has it wrong with pro course setups and the rules themselves. We have way to much OB where players are throwing it one place then playing from another. I grew up with the play it where it lies.

It doesn't make sense to me logically to throw it in the woods, take it out of the woods and place it on the fairway. What is the point of doing this? Just to add strokes to the final outcome? Because in a way they are making it easier by being able to place a shot on the fairway but adding a stroke for it.

Nor having artificial OB just behind the basket where two players throw long, one player 12 feet from the basket but 1 inch OB, next player 50 feet long and 38 feet OB. Both players place it 9 feet from the basket and tap in taking the same score. It doesn't make sense. Why are we always moving from one area and playing from another? It's gimmicky and illogical.

So what I think should be changed is that areas should be marked hazard and the player has the option to play it where it lies or move from the hazard with a one stroke penalty. Playing where it last crossed.

I understand why course TD's make areas OB that are thick as you can lose a disc easily. Hazard solves this by allowing the player an option to find it, either play it from where he found it or play where it last crossed with penalty.

Do you agree that the rules need to be modified and designers allowed better options such as a new hazard rule?

The rules are fine. You might argue that the terminology is wrong, but every sport has some strange terminology.

Course designers and TDs have discretion to apply them, just as they have discretion to design holes; sometimes they do a poor job, and sometimes what they do just isn't to someone's taste.

The rules are fine. You might argue that the terminology is wrong, but every sport has some strange terminology.

Course designers and TDs have discretion to apply them, just as they have discretion to design holes; sometimes they do a poor job, and sometimes what they do just isn't to someone's taste.

Official Rules of Disc Golf

806.05 Hazard

Last updated: Thursday, December 31, 2020 - 16:06
A hazard is an area designated by the Director which incurs a penalty throw.
A disc is in a hazard if its position is clearly and completed completely surrounded by the hazard., or by a combination of the Hazard and an Out-of-Bounds area.
A player whose disc is in a hazard receives one penalty throw. The lie is not relocated.
If the thrower moves the disc before a determination whether it is in a hazard has been made, the disc is considered to be in the hazard.

I would simply like to see players throw from where they landed versus the current OB rule. The hazard rule makes you throw from the lie with penalty.

Why are you penalized a throw for landing in a hazard? Isn't it bad enough you have to throw from the deep weeds or golf course sand? It is illogical.

Same thing with the OB rule, player throws it 100 feet offline then moves to the fairway to play. Does this just seem bizarre to anyone?

You didn't read my post, I said it needs changing so we can watch players play from where they threw their shot. Why are we picking up our discs and playing from different areas so much? Play from where it lies.

I feel like (again) we are watching totally different coverages of different sports. Do you have specific examples? I see players playing from where they crossed OB, or playing from a hazard with a one stroke penalty (sand bunkers come to mind). They aren't willy nilly moving their discs all over the course. A few courses have dumb drop zones on a hole here or there, but that's really it.

I think you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Which seems to be a theme......

I feel like (again) we are watching totally different coverages of different sports. Do you have specific examples? I see players playing from where they crossed OB, or playing from a hazard with a one stroke penalty (sand bunkers come to mind). They aren't willy nilly moving their discs all over the course. A few courses have dumb drop zones on a hole here or there, but that's really it.

I think you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Which seems to be a theme......

I'll give you an example. Idlewild number 16. They have 2-3 foot high rough lined the fairway. and routinely players throw it in the rough and take it back to the fairway. It's incongruent and illogical.

I would say most holes at the USDGC have been like this among other events. I don't think you watch disc golf to be honest.

Why are you penalized a throw for landing in a hazard? Isn't it bad enough you have to throw from the deep weeds or golf course sand? It is illogical.

It's still terminology. A hazard in disc golf isn't necessarily a place that's difficult to throw from. It's whatever a TD/Designer designates. You can put a circle of rope in the middle of a fairway, and call it a "hazard".

It plays like a penalty square in a child's board game -- land there, pay a penalty, but continue to play from there.

OldManTroll will keep this thread going for 50 pages if you let him. He's just trying to get everyone to chase their tails again. Nobody bit when he tried to bump his last fiasco, so he's trying something new. Soon he'll be bringing up "bad luck".

You've all been warned.

Safety has nothing to do with it. Hole 16 at Idlewild has thick long rough outside the fairway which is playable.

That should be a hazard area where if you find your disc you can play it, if not you go where it last crossed and take a stroke penalty. Just one example of hundreds.

It's still terminology. A hazard in disc golf isn't necessarily a place that's difficult to throw from. It's whatever a TD/Designer designates. You can put a circle of rope in the middle of a fairway, and call it a "hazard".

It plays like a penalty square in a child's board game -- land there, pay a penalty, but continue to play from there.

I know what it is. My point is that it is unnatural, illogical, nonsensical and gimmicky. I think you should be able to play it where it lies without penalty. It's bad enough you threw it 50 feet offline and are in deep rough, why take it back to the fairway and drop it? The OB and Hazard rules need to be changed IMO.

I have a feeling this question will be asked dozens of times in this thread. All by the OP.

We're at twice, maybe 3 times already.

Perhaps the mods can step in and either trash the thread or landfill it after a couple dozen, this time. I think I will just sit this one out.

OldManTroll will keep this thread going for 50 pages if you let him. He's just trying to get everyone to chase their tails again. Nobody bit when he tried to bump his last fiasco, so he's trying something new. Soon he'll be bringing up "bad luck".

You've all been warned.

Stick to the topic troll boy.

Perhaps the mods can step in and either trash the thread or landfill it after a couple dozen, this time. I think I will just sit this one out.

How much snow did you all get? We got more here than total for last 2 years. Which only shows how little we got the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts