• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any must play courses in NE Alabama to Asheville, NC?

domromer

* Ace Member *
I'm staying at Lake Guntersville State Park in Alabama on a long road trip and my next stop will be Asheville, North Carolina. Any must play courses that I shouldn't drive by. I'm camping at Monte Sano tomorrow and playing there then getting to up to Asheville to play Richmond Hill.

Dom

What route are you taking? Down towards Atl, across TN or one of the inbetween?

How many courses do you plan on playing in Huntsville? If you like tight wooded courses, check out Mastin Lake (cause it is an awesome course) or Brahan Springs (because of the history and old school layout). Monte Sano is a really fun course but the tee pads suck. UAH and Indian Creek are bigger more open longer courses. Indian Creek would be my recommendation of those two unless you know someone who can get you on to Redstone Arsenal to play that course. That is a freaking awesome course that I wish I could play more often

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

How many courses do you plan on playing in Huntsville? If you like tight wooded courses, check out Mastin Lake (cause it is an awesome course) or Brahan Springs (because of the history and old school layout). Monte Sano is a really fun course but the tee pads suck. UAH and Indian Creek are bigger more open longer courses. Indian Creek would be my recommendation of those two unless you know someone who can get you on to Redstone Arsenal to play that course. That is a freaking awesome course that I wish I could play more often

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Yeah Monte Sano is cool, I played a round there yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll have time to play any other courses in Huntsville, if I do I'll look for the tight woods courses.

Check out Tommy Schumpert DGC in Knoxville. A real good but challenging course. The "low" DGCR rating doesn't accurately reflect its quality because it use to be a 9-hole course and most of its reviews were written then. Mostly wooded with a few fun open holes too.

Monte Sano is one of the weakest courses in Huntsville. You really should have played Indian Creek or Mastin Lake

Going through Knoxville, there is no reason you shouldn't take the detour to play Harmon Hills. I played Morningside in Knoxville and enjoyed it, but I think I'd've rather played Victor Ashe. You're also going through Chattanooga. I've heard good things about the Sinks.

What do you look for in a course, Dom? How much time do you have?

Going through Knoxville, there is no reason you shouldn't take the detour to play Harmon Hills. I played Morningside in Knoxville and enjoyed it, but I think I'd've rather played Victor Ashe. You're also going through Chattanooga. I've heard good things about the Sinks.

I was going to suggest detouring to Harmon Hills as well; when I go back to SC from Sincinnati I'm going to be detouring to play there myself.

Also, pro tip: while in Asheville, go take a tour of Highland Brewing. You should RSVP on the website (it's free, but you can prepay for pint glasses if you'd like), and it begins with free beer. Plus the tap room is super cool and their rooftop beer garden and beer meadow should be open this time of year. There's also a bunch of other breweries in Asheville, including some tiny ones (One World Brewing is an excellent one which is hidden, look it up on google maps, but it's down the alley and down two flights of stairs. Really good beer though). There's also Richmond Hill in Asheville, which I've heard good things about. Jackson Park in Hendersonville isn't exactly a must play, but if you have time it's definitely worth the drive to play.

I played Richmond Hill during a 11 day DG road trip, it was not a planned stop but I'm glad I played it, I liked it a lot. Bring your legs and hiking shoes, it's a lot of up and down. Harmon Hills is even better!

Latest posts