• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any pros carry all discs same color?

I'm curious if this is actually true? As in:

a) Specific color agents affect the disc making process for certain plastics/manufacturers.

Or

b) It's more something like: "When the X discs we're run in spring of 2022, when they ran the yellow ones, they happened to come out flat and overstable"

I'm assuming b is more likely.

could also be a different pellet/colorant blend needed to produce certain colors or certain color additives/plastic costs more so they run the injection machine with different parameters. Its probably better to treat each color as a separate run even though they may release at the same time.

Pros spend a lot less time looking for discs in the rough, than the vast majority of players (or they wouldn't be pros). Plus they often have spotters on high risk holes.

So selecting discs colors to that easier to find is less of an issue for them that it is for most players.

Is that really true, though? They aren't really losing discs on our television, but with all the practice they do and experimenting with shots, I get the vibe that they lose a LOT of discs.

Your statements don't contradict each other. I assume both are true:

- They lose more discs.
- They don't spend a lot of time looking for discs in the rough.

This comes from:

- They don't shank as many shots and have more experience where to search.
- Supply for stock discs is easy and cheap for them.

Your statements don't contradict each other. I assume both are true:

- They lose more discs.
- They don't spend a lot of time looking for discs in the rough.

This comes from:

- They don't shank as many shots and have more experience where to search.
- Supply for stock discs is easy and cheap for them.

You forgot that many, probably most, the pros are running as lean as they possibly can to have enough cash to carry them through the next month/season/whatever on tour. Even the ones who are now fairly successful aren't changing their stripes that fast. There is a reason you see Calvin in most of the ponds on tour fishing discs out in practice videos, etc. The sponsorship for tons of lower level pros is that they get a stock of discs with their personal stamp on it they get to sell.

Yeah, discs come easier for these guys, but money is plenty tight, too.

I see players once in a while on the course with all discs the same color. I don't recall any PROs carrying all one color. It seems like I might have seen an FPO with a lot of the same colors, maybe Tattar. I like easier to spot colors, but if all the discs were the same it would kinda drive me nuts to pick out the correct mid with four the same color.

Justin Bilodeau from Team MVP bags only orange discs. He had an in the bag video from a few years back. Not sure if this is still the case. He was on a Jomez card at Maple Hill last year and the bag still looked quite orange :)

Heather Young said that she dyes her discs, so not all are factory purple.

Kristin Tattar uses only blue and white discs because of the Estonia flag.

I know Philo was rocking red, green, and yellow discs, rasta colors, from an older in the bag. I don't think he does this anymore.

I'm curious if this is actually true? As in:

a) Specific color agents affect the disc making process for certain plastics/manufacturers.

Or

b) It's more something like: "When the X discs we're run in spring of 2022, when they ran the yellow ones, they happened to come out flat and overstable"

I'm assuming b is more likely.

Early in the Prodigy years, Nikko and others were actively seeking out lavender D1's because of the stability of that run.

Widely accepted that pink Z Forces have been the most OS stock color. My take is that the color affects the behavior of the freshly ejected disc during its cool down time. Dome, shoulder, and PLH can be interconnected and morph as the disc cools. Color can affect shrinkage and ratio thereof, if I remember correctly. The Glow pigments can also contribute, i believe. I think maybe Dave D said this many moons ago on the DGR or PDGA board.

I like the idea of a mono color bag, but the funds or replicate my bag in a single color would be substantial.

I did make an all pink and white bag for a breast cancer event and made an Ireland flag bag for st. Patrick's day this year. That was kind of fun.

His Bag looks kinda like mine, but I use more colors. I'll have to take a pic

picture.php

Don't know why it insists on posting sideways, it stays upright until I upload it to DGCR. Also, not as much like Silver's as I thought, but I like it.

I threw the wrong disc today because I grabbed this pink one (Mentor) instead of that pink one (Enigma). And wondered why it drifted so far right, until I went to pick it up. I couldn't do same colors all through.

picture.php

Don't know why it insists on posting sideways, it stays upright until I upload it to DGCR. Also, not as much like Silver's as I thought, but I like it.

That's a nice Rainbow bag you have there! :D

That's a nice Rainbow bag you have there! :D

Yeah, helps with disc selection and counting my discs between holes to ensure I didn't leave one behind.

Edit: Also if you look at my sig you can tell what each disc is. Only exception is one of the reds is actually a Kaxe Z that I'm trying out and disc in the flap is a Jarn that may be replacing my Pigs

Last edited: