• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever hit a kid? Dangerous courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disc golfers are the only people who see a course. Everyone else sees a park. Unless the park is posted as a designated disc golf course you have no grounds for asking anyone to leave the area. I love how you characterize the guy who doesn't want to leave as an a-hole. How would you react if someone walked up to you and told you to get out of the park?

Sad, but true.....

Do you see a LARP battlefield when you see a park? That's what LARPers see. Any fringe activity is going to have that issue, we're just not that important or popular that we can expect everyone to know what we're doing, especially since our playing area looks like every other clearing in the woods for the most part.

Do you see a LARP battlefield when you see a park? That's what LARPers see. Any fringe activity is going to have that issue, we're just not that important or popular that we can expect everyone to know what we're doing, especially since our playing area looks like every other clearing in the woods for the most part.

That's exactly the point I was making Nutty

Don't think you can yell "Get off the fairway" to another OPU and expect them to have any idea what you are yelling about. They'll likely wonder why you are yelling about fairways and not even carry golf clubs lol

* OPU = Other Park User

It's funny because LARPers use Greeley Park for a weekly (maybe more, IDK) gathering. They probably use that space more than disc golfers do though.

A friend of mine has nicknamed that field "dork park."

Don't think you can yell "Get off the fairway" to another OPU and expect them to have any idea what you are yelling about. They'll likely wonder why you are yelling about fairways and not even carry golf clubs lol

* OPU = Other Park User

Do Larpers have Teeboxes, Baskets or other PERMANENT FIXTURES IN THE PARK

* OPU = Other Park User

I wasn't arguing with you, just quoted you so it was clear who the guy I was responding to was responding to, I liked your point and was just expanding on it. :)

mash, you've played Willow Stream before. People get hit all the time. The only time the park district took action was when a lady by the pool was knocked out by an errant drive. They changed the hole so that missed drives no longer hyzer out over the fence to the pool (well, some still do). The new hole forces you to throw right over a walking path the entire length of the hole.

People get hit at the park all the time, yet I have yet to see a warning sign anywhere about flying discs. The course has been in that park since the 80s. They recently put up new signs warning people of Coyotes in the area, which I have yet to see, but still nothing about discs.

When they installed the new hiking trail that cut through Fairfield the first thing they did was install signs on both ends of the trail warning hikers/bikers to watch out for flying discs.

I'd freak if there were so many people in my way. Santa Cruz put a small course in by the San Lorenzo River in a park next to the county building where many homeless like to hang out. Apparently it is standard for the indigent to be lying in the 10m circle and people just play through anyway, even the Parks and Rec DG class. I think I'd just skip playing that hole.

Delaveaga has this problem on Top of the World, because your fairway is also the path to Hole 1. Its an older course before crossing fairways was really an issue. But its almost all DGers there, not a shared space, so we are aware of the hazards. I drove there this morning and my Disc headed to the Tee for 1, but it was 8am and I didn't see anyone, so I didn't call out 4. Next thing I know I hear someone on the ground yelling "Four!". Turns out there was a couple down there playing through. They were totally cool about it though. I missed them, but they wanted people to know they were there for the next throw :) Sure enough, my buddies drive went to the same spot. That happens all the time at Dela, and you can actually reach the Parking Lot real easy, which almost happenned to me the 3rd time I ever played - I didn't even see the Disc, but I felt it, then some guys in the Parking Lot were like "You are one lucky dude...". Overall, I realize I'm super lucky because most of the courses I play are not shared, or are shared in a way where its mostly separate. Pinto Lake is shared, but you just wait for people to pass.

mash, you've played Willow Stream before. People get hit all the time. The only time the park district took action was when a lady by the pool was knocked out by an errant drive. They changed the hole so that missed drives no longer hyzer out over the fence to the pool (well, some still do). The new hole forces you to throw right over a walking path the entire length of the hole.

People get hit at the park all the time, yet I have yet to see a warning sign anywhere about flying discs. The course has been in that park since the 80s. They recently put up new signs warning people of Coyotes in the area, which I have yet to see, but still nothing about discs.

When they installed the new hiking trail that cut through Fairfield the first thing they did was install signs on both ends of the trail warning hikers/bikers to watch out for flying discs.

Most of the time, people don't make a big deal out of it. The majority of random park users hit by a piece of equipment from another park user won't ever do anything about it after the incident. You can have a ton of those incidents without ever seeing any reaction from the park district.

It only takes one person though who makes a deal out of it to cause major problems. One person threatening lawsuits to the park district is going to get their attention really quick.

I have almost hit a kid and a few adults. Like the OP the kid was playing near the basket, so I went over and explained disc golf to them and I showed them the disc. They were a good amount away when I threw, but the kid decided to run back towards the basket. Luckily I missed him. I almost hit an adult who thought he was Lance armstrong racing through the park on his bicycle. The hole was clear when I threw, but right after I let go I saw a guy zipping along the bikepath. I ended up shanking the drive and missing him by about 6 inches. I feel that was more his fault, as he was speeding along a multi-use path in a public park, and was not there when I threw. I have almost hit other dg'ers, but thats different.

I havent read all the pages, so here is my take:
The big problem is that the general public does not know about disc golf, or only knows a little bit about it. To the general public when they see a caution disc golf course sign, they think we are playing with frisbees and ultimate discs. They do not know that the discs we use can cause serious injury. Everytime I see people in the fairway or close to a hole I use it as an educational tool to those people. I show them the discs we use and the general layout of the park so they can avoid the fairways. They are usually suprised when I show them the discs. That usually gets them out of the way quickly. Use the time to educate the general public about the discs and disc golf in general, and they will be more likely to stay out of the way. We need to be good ambassadors for the sport.

Head's up works better than fore too

BOOOO! Always use FORE! If everyone picks their own slogan for an errant disc, the warning alert gets lost in the random noise. I've been considering using my big black sharpie to write FORE! in huge letters on other peoples discs when they throw on me without calling the designated safety word.

It's your responsibility as a disc golfer to make sure that your discs aren't endangering others.

If this is true, then you can NEVER AGAIN throw a disc anytime there is a tree or other obstacle wide enough for someone to be hiding behind, or, there is a blind approach/basket. This means, you can NEVER play solo again on a course with trees OR hills. If you have a friend with you, then you can play the hole only if there is always someone ahead of you who has already thoroughly checked EVERY tree/bush/boulder for a hiding child. Obviously, this is beyond unrealistic.

It was 100% my fault. I threw the disc that hit the kid. It doesn't matter that I looked and still to this day have NO IDEA where they came from.

What if a similar situation happened, but the mother was a genuine crackpot. She had been crouching behind a tree in anticipation of a really nice drive. She never really wanted this child and didn't have the balls to kill it herself. So, she wanted to avoid doing the deed herself and had been looking for a way to dispose of her child without having to accept any blame. So, she choose a disc golf course. She saw the disc in the air and purposely put the child in harm's way. Now, you come around the blind corner and see a hurt child and a crying mother. Are you still 100% at fault for throwing the disc? Of course this scenario is far-fetched, but so is any single person winning the lottery.

He was 10 feet to the right of the tee, paying close attention to her teeing off and then WHAM.

That's your problem right there. ALWAYS STAND BEHIND THE TEEBOX! It was the fault of whoever decided it was safe to let the child stand beside the teebox.

I guess my point is: unless you are playing in a flat field with no obstacles of any kind, you are NEVER 100% sure there is no one who could be hit with your disc. Every time you throw, you are merely making an educated guess about the safety of your shot.

Thus, saying it is your responsibility to make 100% sure no one can be hit with your disc means you pretty much can never play again.

I yell "FROLF'S AWAY!" before, during, and after every shot.

You know, just to be safe.

When did anyone say that?

You did when you said: "It's your responsibility as a disc golfer to make sure that your discs aren't endangering others."

There is no "sure" other than "100% sure". Anything else is just a "likely" or "probably".

Last edited:
I love the people who stand at a distance but don't move because they don't think I can throw it that far. Just because they can only throw their 150 dx Leopard 200 feet to the right doesn't mean that I can't throw 300 straight ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts