• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever hit a kid? Dangerous courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the problem: People on this site are not the problem.

We can talk these sheep blue, but chuckers are still gonna hit kids.

Just an fyi, I'm pretty sure home owners insurance covers whatever you hit with a golf disc. I'm about 80% sure about that.

and I agree with that somewhat but just leaving your house is dangerous enough you should pay attention to your surroundings. And how selfish is it to wander around aimlessly with no sense of respect for others using the park? You're not the center of the universe and there are actual designated walking paths and parts of town. Just like there is a dog park for dogs but no one seems to care. If you come to a multi-use park you better be prepared to deal with the multiple activities. We all share the burden equally.

The problem is that most of the people that are not paying attention have no clue that there's a course near, or don't understand the game well enough. If they do know there's a course, they may not understand that standing near the fairway is just as dangerous as being on it. They don't realize how far off the line we sometimes throw.

Of course, sometimes people are completely oblivious...

In one of my softball games a couple years ago, a woman was walking behind the backstop towards the field next to ours with a baby in one hand and coffee in the other. She seemed completely oblivious to our game, even when the batter popped a ball over the backstop and both teams were yelling "Heads up!" She finally got a clue when the ball glanced off her shoulder and into the baby's head. Never dropped her coffee though! Baby was fine, began crying immediately (a very good sign).

It Shouldnt happen EVER. Well unless your General Scales! What are the odds?

ive lost count on how many times a couple with their baby choose to set up a picnic in the middle of a hole, let alone a disc golf course.

Some people seriously need to wake up or pay a little attention to what's going on around them.

It might be "your" course. But its certainly not your PARK!

My local course is a park that opens for dogs at 7:00 pm. somehow people don't notice all the signs and have their dogs out all day anyways, i'm sure you can all imagine how frustrating it is. Not only have i stepped in dog feces three times even though there are bags and signs all over the park, some of the dogs will pick up your disc and run around with it in it's mouth. the owners don't really seem to get that they cost money and aren't for their dogs to chew on, it's extremely annoying.

My local course is a park that opens for dogs at 7:00 pm. somehow people don't notice all the signs and have their dogs out all day anyways, i'm sure you can all imagine how frustrating it is. Not only have i stepped in dog feces three times even though there are bags and signs all over the park, some of the dogs will pick up your disc and run around with it in it's mouth. the owners don't really seem to get that they cost money and aren't for their dogs to chew on, it's extremely annoying.

Now THAT is BS. Probably need to call the parks dept on that one

speaking of designated walking trails. most park goers in Archdale think that the DG course is some kind of nature trail. I've had families on different occasions walk up the fairway towards the tee pad with me standing on it holding a disc. they just have no clue what I/we are doing. I wait for them to clear because that is the respectful thing to do.

the other problem in Archdale is that the paved walking trail is sometimes used as a tee pad or bisects a fairway. I personally do not agree with this design feature.

as far as walking being a mindless activity, that could easily change if more people walked barefoot. then you have to pay attention to what you are a doing and where you are going. I hate shoes.

The problem is that most of the people that are not paying attention have no clue that there's a course near, or don't understand the game well enough. If they do know there's a course, they may not understand that standing near the fairway is just as dangerous as being on it. They don't realize how far off the line we sometimes throw.

Of course, sometimes people are completely oblivious...

In one of my softball games a couple years ago, a woman was walking behind the backstop towards the field next to ours with a baby in one hand and coffee in the other. She seemed completely oblivious to our game, even when the batter popped a ball over the backstop and both teams were yelling "Heads up!" She finally got a clue when the ball glanced off her shoulder and into the baby's head. Never dropped her coffee though! Baby was fine, began crying immediately (a very good sign).

Around here it's oblivious people. The park that is of concern is peter pan. Jones park is multiuse but has pavilions and areas for people far away from the course areas. The only issue are the people who walk their dogs from the nearby apartment complexes. They do decent job of staying out of the way they just don't pick up the turds from their dogs. That's another thread altogether.

The people at peter pan are just completely uncaring of other people's activities. Many are English as a second language but they've seen the discs flying and may even have a few close calls. I'm happy to show them the game and talk with them but they'll need to approach me the right way. Which is not during my throw and from the teepad, not yelling at me to "go ahead, you won't hit me" while they lean on a tree next to the basket. Those people are on their own. Like I said, they get a head's up now and that's it. If I had to explain all this to each idiot in the park I'd never get to play. I'm not going to give up my activity for their selfish behavior.

Everyone seems to think they are entitled to the park.....disc golfers, joggers, bike riders, etc. They are called multi-use for a reason. If you hit someone with a disc it is your fault. They didn't hit themselves. You threw it, your fault. Don't be a douchebag that thinks everyone should know what disc golf is, where disc golf courses are, or how dangerous it can be. It's your responsibility as a disc golfer to make sure that your discs aren't endangering others.

...horrifying story...

That kid is lucky, and so are you. It's better to wait, or skip a hole than to risk injuring a child, who does not know the risks involved. Plus, the parents are morons for not holding onto him until your disc hit the ground.

Everyone seems to think they are entitled to the park.....disc golfers, joggers, bike riders, etc. They are called multi-use for a reason. If you hit someone with a disc it is your fault. They didn't hit themselves. You threw it, your fault. Don't be a douchebag that thinks everyone should know what disc golf is, where disc golf courses are, or how dangerous it can be. It's your responsibility as a disc golfer to make sure that your discs aren't endangering others.

So what about this? Is it also his responsiblity to avoid all the dog sht and keep dogs from picking up his discs?

Yeah I've hit a kid but he deserved it and was pretty big for an 8 year old.

edit: oh, with a disc? no.

So what about this? Is it also his responsiblity to avoid all the dog sht and keep dogs from picking up his discs?

If it's not your dog, or your dog ****, then no it's not his responsibility. Dogs and dog **** are much different then hitting kids, or people.

If it's not your dog, or your dog ****, then no it's not his responsibility. Dogs and dog **** are much different then hitting kids, or people.

so why is he left dealing with all that BS? Because the dog owners think that the entire park is theirs and nothing else matters. So the disc golfers are stuck with worrying about themselves AND the dumbass dog walkers. instead of everyone in the park worrying about how their actions affect others.

Who said anything about it being "my park"?

I guess I was more directing that at the way the club in my town operates. Its just one of my peevs! I love the game but sometimes guys get so caught up in the course being theirs. Because of course the work and time thats put into said park on behalf of the club. That they forget that there are others that enjoy the park too.

^This basically

so why is he left dealing with all that BS? Because the dog owners think that the entire park is theirs and nothing else matters. So the disc golfers are stuck with worrying about themselves AND the dumbass dog walkers. instead of everyone in the park worrying about how their actions affect others.

Jesus Christ. Why the **** do you think I'm lambasting someone about dog walkers? I'm not.....at all.

My statement is directed towards the people on this forum that are trying to justify throwing at innocent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts