• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever reached out to a pro for a lesson?

How times have changed.

Back in the day, 'reaching out to a pro for a lesson' was called a 'money round', thus the neophyte's school was of hard knocks. His consolation was tiny stakes...

Imma save you some money on this one.

1. Stalk a DGPT course a few days before an event

Btw...this works. Maybe not as well with the virus going around. But typically no one can stop you from walking with them as they play a practice round. You can learn alot from that as well. I walked a few holes with Shusterick years ago, man he played fast and seemed only interested in drives off the tee. lol..

DGPT courses should be closed to play to anyone not in the tournament.

DGPT courses should be closed to play to anyone not in the tournament.

Why would you want that? Obviously DURING the tournament, but in the days leading up to it? Do you want the tour to pay for the park to be closed those extra days? I guess I just don't see how that helps anyone.

I walked a few holes with Shusterick years ago, man he played fast and seemed only interested in drives off the tee. lol..
Not unusual for pros to only care about getting off the tee on practice rounds, because putting is relatively routine and doesn't require line shaping or placement shots like getting off the tee. It's not like ball golf where you have to practice reading the greens.

Why would you want that? Obviously DURING the tournament, but in the days leading up to it? Do you want the tour to pay for the park to be closed those extra days? I guess I just don't see how that helps anyone.

It helps the tournament, TD, volunteers, course and pros. After hours of work on the course, laying down OB, C1, C2 circles, tee signs, banners, tee sponsorship signs, water stations, extra porta john, tables, pop up canopies.....you don't want hoardes of casuals pillaging and vandalizing all of the above.

The pros, out practicing, don't want you there.

Toboggan is closed for the entire week leading up to DGLO. Minus a pro/am draw doubles.

I am not sure the tournament club pays to close the course....but, they might.

I am not sure the tournament club pays to close the course....but, they might.

I would hope they do. If I am a local and my course is shut down for a week before a tournament and those people aren't paying I would be fairly upset.

I completely understand your sentiment for the day immediately before the event, but are you really leaving water stations up unattended for days prior to the start? I also think back to those times I was on vacation in Arizona for the Memorial week. Being able to play the Memorial layouts for all the courses was one of the best parts of the tournament, way better than actually watching the tournament. If they were blocked off I would just write off the Memorial entirely. I guess disc golf isn't for spectators, but we can at least be neutral and not hostile.

During covid distancing and various state quarantines, I would hope courses close for the week before a tournament.

Haven't experienced it in the normal times.

I would hope they do. If I am a local and my course is shut down for a week before a tournament and those people aren't paying I would be fairly upset.

I completely understand your sentiment for the day immediately before the event, but are you really leaving water stations up unattended for days prior to the start? I also think back to those times I was on vacation in Arizona for the Memorial week. Being able to play the Memorial layouts for all the courses was one of the best parts of the tournament, way better than actually watching the tournament. If they were blocked off I would just write off the Memorial entirely. I guess disc golf isn't for spectators, but we can at least be neutral and not hostile.

The park for DGLO has another 36 holes of pay to play disc golf, plus the disc golf revenue goes into the general fund. So, in this case, I am not sure how much impact the local players or course sees.

The course has to be set up several days before competition for practice. Water is usually part of the course set up for practice days.

I am not necessarily defending the process, just explaining how it usually works. I sure there may be exceptions, as well.

Played in a local C-tier last year in Atlanta. Showed up early to practice the course, and basically did what one of the posters above describe...

I was playing through the holes pretty quick and by hole 11 I was behind a local pro (Matt Dollar) and his girlfriend. Played the next 5 holes with the both of them. This was a heavily wooded course and Matt was throwing a bunch of thumbers... very accurately and making for easy birdies! Never really seen that before, so I asked him some questions regarding the thumber, and he was eager to discuss the nuances of the thumber and gave me some pointers. He seemed happy to do it :thmbup:

Reach out to Philo, he gives paid lessons. He offers both putting and driving instruction. He charges $60/hour IIRC.

FWIW after a lesson from him I'm driving about 10-15' farther on average.

Played in a local C-tier last year in Atlanta. Showed up early to practice the course, and basically did what one of the posters above describe...

I was playing through the holes pretty quick and by hole 11 I was behind a local pro (Matt Dollar) and his girlfriend. Played the next 5 holes with the both of them. This was a heavily wooded course and Matt was throwing a bunch of thumbers... very accurately and making for easy birdies! Never really seen that before, so I asked him some questions regarding the thumber, and he was eager to discuss the nuances of the thumber and gave me some pointers. He seemed happy to do it :thmbup:

Just don't brush shoulders with him! ;)

I'd like to see the pros auction off a spot on their practice round card with half of the money going to EDGE or some other charity.

DGPT coming to your town, pros that want to drop into the local club facebook page and make a post. Everyone interested makes bids, one person that wants it most pays up, plays a practice round, gets some tips and some autographs, pro picks up some traveling cash and some money goes to charity.

I think Steve Rico used to offer lessons out of Sylmar, but I'm not sure if he still does. A friend asked about him but he was unavailable so did a lesson with Super Dave, another established local pro.

In general, even the best DG pros can use the cash. Any socially appropriate method of contact ought to work for setting up a time, place, price, and expectations.

Latest posts