• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone find Discs Getting Expensive?

itsRudy

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Stopped by Dick's today for some regular plastic Valkyries to find they jacked up the price to $11.99 on all discs. It was bumped to $9.99, I wanna say beginning Covid 24 months ago, and I bought discs $6.99 starting out 5-6 years back.

What were the cheapest you ever seen them? I was thinking economies of scale would start taking over with skyrocketing popularity, surely 1-piece plastic molds can't be so expensive. Losing a couple discs now in high growth summertime is starting to get hard to swallow.

It's weird cause some nice metal baskets I just got at Christmas cheaper than ever at $150 each, that replaced a crappy portable (DGA Mach Lite) that cost more than them years back.

Yes

still have NEVER paid more than $25 for any disc...

and that was over 20 years ago for a stack 2001 CE Rocs...

Play it Again Sports has the best deals. Picked up a used Pro Beast that looked very new for $10 this morning, has a sweet fade at the end, and nice glide. All of their new DX's were $9, Star plastic $17. If you don't like a disc you can always trade in for something else, I do that quite often.

Yes

still have NEVER paid more than $25 for any disc...

and that was over 20 years ago for a stack 2001 CE Rocs...

Yeah but what is $25 from 2001 equal to in 2022? ;)

But yes, discs cost more. And stock is usually less. Pretty annoying. Wudyado? Shrugs.

$8.99 DX/ ProD
$11.99 Pro/EliteX
$15.99 Champion/Z
$17.99 Star/ESP

That's pretty standard for what I'm used to. Smaller companies a buck or two more.

$8.99 DX/ ProD
$11.99 Pro/EliteX
$15.99 Champion/Z
$17.99 Star/ESP

That's pretty standard for what I'm used to. Smaller companies a buck or two more.

Yeah except now it's

new nice Halo plastic 30$
new nice ESP plastic 30$

I am sure the other manufacturers will follow (or have already).

As the demand increases, so does the price. If it decreases the pricing will come down.....eventually.

supply-and-demand-curves-diagram-showing-equilibrium-point-on-white-picture-id1145345621

Disc prices definitely are starting to go up, but I try to maintain throwing things that are easily acquired on the shelf (or that I've previously hoarded multiples of at a decent retail price - ie $25 or below only)

My constant hoarding of discs that I like over the last 10 years is finally starting to pay off

I noticed the jump from $8.99 to $11.99 for DX discs at my local PIAS a few weeks ago.

And I don't buy the inflation or demand excuses. This seems more like price gouging to me.

My constant hoarding of discs that I like over the last 10 years is finally starting to pay off
My realization that I'm not going to live long enough to run out of golf discs and this recent price hike have lined up nicely; I'm just shopping in my basement from now on.

$8.99 DX/ ProD
$11.99 Pro/EliteX
$15.99 Champion/Z
$17.99 Star/ESP

Going back a few years (3+), I was paying $6.99 for DX and $9.99 for Pro from Discgolfcenter and then taking 10% loyalty discount off of those prices. Free shipping too.

There's definitely been inflation in disc prices, but you can say the same about almost any consumer good over the past few years. Commodities are up, shipping costs are up, 25% tariff on Chinese goods, the dollar buys less yuan, etc. All of those put upward pressure on prices and then businesses see it as a good opportunity to layer some extra margin on top.