• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anyone like the Warlock?

Just got a new SSS Warlock the other day cause I was curious.. like you were.. because I own 2 SSS Wizards and an SSS Magic. From this picture you can definitely tell which one the Warlock is.. Lol But from top to bottom it's my Wizard, Warlock, and Magic.. all SSS plastic..
24SF8.jpg

see..i knew others liked the warlock,i just domt understand why it doesnt get love like the wizards nd magics do.

i would love some eraser warlocks!!

i used warlocks back in 05-06 until the P2 came out. i've since made the switch and haven't looked back.

imo the warlock was a better driver and putter than the wizard ever was/is.

x2 xout

i always had problems driving with a wizard but the warlock was easy as pie.

i used the p2s for a short bit and they are nice too,i just prefer the plastic from gateway. the p2's i had were the concave bright oranges,i gave those to my little brother and he likes them. i will practice with them occasionally . my warlocks just do magic for me :)

This doesn't pertain to Warlocks, but it does to Magics.. and I wanna share this with someone Haha Yesterday I was doin field work with my putters on one of our 9 hole courses that no one plays on, so I could have an actual basket instead of my Mach Lite... Anyway, I was mainly putting from about 50' out with my Wizards, and driving from about 150' from a stand still with all my putters. Picked up my Magic to do an anny drive and actually sunk one in the basket from that 150' Haha Was happy, but sad at the same time as I was by myself. I was using the Warlock for every thing yesterday during practice drives. Straight shots, anny shots, and small hyzer shots. It succeeded pretty well in all those things, but shined in straight shots. Since my Magic is getting beat up I may move that down to strictly anny approach shots and use the Warlock for any putt 35'-75' and short straight approaches.

Can someone explain the difference between wizards/warlocks/magics for me? I have absolutly no knowledge of the differences in flight.

Can someone explain the difference between wizards/warlocks/magics for me? I have absolutly no knowledge of the differences in flight.

For me anyway... Wizards are the most stable out of the 3. When driving with them they produce the most fade. My Magic has a little bit of turn with a soft fade at the end. My Warlock goes really straight with barely any fade at all. If I release my Wizard on a slight anny it will flatten out nicely. If I do that with my Magic it will just hold that anny line and never fade back. Do that with my Warlock and it will flatten out a little bit, but not as much as my Wizard.

bump it up! looking for more warlock fans. im still loving my warlocks after a year has gone by. my putting has been consistent and they just suit me better than any other putter out there.

why does it still get no love though?!
Glad the Warlock is working for you. I used Warlocks for putts and approaches for a year or so, and agree it is a great disc. I stopped throwing Warlocks when I learned to throw forehand, because I had problems getting a clean FH release with the Warlock. Switched to Wizards, FH release problems went away.

I do miss throwing Warlocks, although I am pretty happy with the Ion / Rhyno combo.

i gotta catch a glimpse of these warlocks. :)

Lol 5 pages and no one complimented the excellent quote placement?

Booter, good job! :D

Also, I haven't tried them. I have no idea the stats or how it flies in comparison to the wizard....

According to Gateway's flight chart [Speed:Glide:Turn:Fade]

Magic: 4:9:2:0
Voodoo: 5:8:1:0
Warlock: 4:8:1:1
Wizard: 4:8:0:1

Lol 5 pages and no one complimented the excellent quote placement?

Booter, good job! :D

Also, I haven't tried them. I have no idea the stats or how it flies in comparison to the wizard....

I caught it, just didn't say anything Haha Super Bad FTW. "That's like slapping god in the face.." .. "She had back problems man..." Lol

This seems as good a place as any so here it goes. Has anybody noticed that gateway's quality has been really high lately? I just got a couple of the new eraser wizards and they look great. No imperfections of any kind. Meaning no weird dents or abnormal domes/shoulder heights. I got a couple or glows a couple a months ago that were awesome as well. So :thmbup: gateway! You're doing it right!

Nikko took me on a tour of the factory last month and we were looking at their defect box and they were not letting any junk discs hit the store.

I've thrown all the Gateway putters and my two favorites were the Voodoo and the Warlock. I never really liked Wizards and Magics. Wizard didn't have enough glide to putt with and while they shined as a driving putter, I already had a driving putter I loved. Magics just feel jacked in my hand. I don't care for their flight characteristics.

Voodoo's were awesome (I have two aces this year just messing around using one that I won at a tournament during a ring of fire). They won't replace my love for Spikes but I do love how they fly and if I had to, I could easily do the same things with a Voodoo that I could a Spike.

Warlocks are my favorite of the four. I originally putted with an old DX PnA and this is exactly what this disc reminds me of. They are my favorite to drive out of the four, just a little hyzer, nose up and a decent amount of snap and you get this magical straight gliding putter that just keeps going and going. They are awesome push putting putters as well.

It is weird that they are the bastard child of the Gateway line up. I always thought that was the Voodoo. I know way more people that putt with Warlocks versus the Voodoo.

warlocks are the bastards. I think voodoo's get a little more rep because Nikko putted with them for a little while, obviously nothing like time spent with wizards. I've used them all, warlocks are like P-A aviars IMO, great straight glide. Nice disc, now I'm wanting to try one again! Wizards were my first love.

The Warlock was a mistake in a way. When they were developing it, they said it was going to be their understable putter and it would be called the Magic. Once they tested it, it was overstable and basically flew like a Wizard. They needed to go back to the drawing board but a lot of the St. Louis guys who had their hands of the testers really liked the beadless feel of the disc. So instead of just killing it they renamed it and released it.

After that, it seemed like Gateway really didn't know what to do with it. I was at an Ice Bowl right after the Voodoo came out and the Daviar was there with a bunch of discs to donate. He set out three clear HPP putters to silent auction; a Wizard, a Magic and a Voodoo. I asked him where the Warlock was, and he looked at me blankly for a minute before he said "Hmmm, I guess we forgot to run any of those."

I think in reality the Warlock has always been too close in flight to a Wizard. The only real reason to throw one over the other is the feel and release. Having said that, the Warlock is probably my favorite putter. It fits my release better than any putter I've ever tried. Some day I'll figure out why I don't putt with them. :|

i used the magic for a good while when i putted with my index on the nose,once i switched to having it under the rim,it didnt feel right.

i have always preferred beadless/small bead putters over big bead,they just feel better in my hand and i get cleaner releases. the warlock just feels nice and was more overstable than the omega ss and i havnt looked back since the switch.