• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone try to throw left handed?

I was forced, due to injury, to go to throwing left handed for the last month or so. AT first it felt strange, but now I concentrate on the things that I teach people when they are learning and it is going pretty well. I am nowhere near where I am with my dominant hand but my midranges are ok and short putter shots are reasonable. Putting and driving is horrible though.

Now I have to figure out why I use a Buzz with my left hand and Roc with my right.

When I broke my right hand I had to throw lefty for a month in a half. Driving was the easy part. Putting lefty sucked. I actually got 3rd place in a monthly event. I would say keep going if you are trying to learn.

I haven't tried to throw with my left hand because I have developed a strong FH for short hyzers where there isn't a good anny line. That gives me the ability to use my dominant hand and not have to learn my non-dominant. There are quite a few things that I just can't do with my left hand.

Is there much of an advantage to throwing lefty if you have a strong FH? Seems to me that they produce the same lines.

Yeah, this was my first reaction also about throwing forehand on those shots.

I have tried to throw lefty just for kicks though. Seems it could be a good way to help you focus on technique. OR if anything happens to ole righty, lol.

I use to throw RHFH, hurt my shoulder, and had to switch to lefty. My LHFH sucked so I opted for LHFH at the end of fall last year. Now I out drive my friends with my fairway drivers. I have slowly been manipulating my RHBH into some shots and think before the end of fall this year I could have RHBH at 270-280 and LHBH throws going +300. I will have to start working on this. If I can get both throws to 400 feet look OUT!

All GUNKed up could bomb a disc right-handed, but had to get shoulder surgery. While he was rehabbing the right arm, he learned to throw lefty (with authority) and now throws either/both depending on the hole. It's sick.

when i go to the infamous "test field" i always throw every disc in my bag at least once lefty in hopes of being ambidextrous on the course

I tried once and it was pretty bad...but I'm not sure it's any worse than my forehand attempts...and one of those needs to happen and soon.

\/\/

I have thrown left handed some in the past. It HURTS! My hand goes numb and then it feels like it is going to explode. If I lost my right hand/arm I wouldn't be too upset though.

I haven't tried to throw left handed yet, but eventually I would like to add it. I'm pretty ambidextrous so I don't think it would be too hard (I can eat, play hockey, play ball-golf, and bat in baseball with both hands). The only problem I foresee is that I tore my left rotator cuff about a year ago. I'm not sure, but it seems like something I would use when I throw.

I am going to keep working on it. I don't ever see myself becoming a great putter left handed, or driving 400 left handed however I can see me using it on approaches a lot. I throw forehand as well however I don't feel I have as much control over the distance with a forehand. I can hit a line forehand which helps getting out of trouble or driving but with approach shots I don't have the touch needed.

i drive backhand with the left, approach backhand with left, and putt with left, but i throw all tomahawk drives, tomahawk approaches and forehand shots with the right arm.

I've tried it and it didn't work out too well. So i will never do it again unless i am forced to do it

I'm a natural lefty but I drive RHBH. Left-handed, I've got a respectable FH drive and I usually turbo putt lefty. Upshots I can go either way - RHBH or LHFH - as the situation demands.

Sucks that I don't have a "native" throw that fades opposite to the dominant, but such is life. At least I live in an era when plastic has been taught to fly :D

I've tried lefty but that was because my arm was broken. I didn't do too well but i just couldn't stay away

when i started i wanted to learn both right and left handed .......i started by throwing back and forth with my brother.....if he wasn't so patient i don't think i would have learned because i was all over the place at first.....im the opposite of you i like to anhyzer so which ever hand i can use to do that i will...im able to throw drives pretty accurate to about 250 -280......good to know that others out there like to throw both.....its great for getting out of trouble because you always have the extra options...

I'm at least partly ambidextrous in most things, I can get rocs out to about 200' pretty consistently lefty but haven't worked on it enough to be able to really shape lines.

I threw left handed for about 2 months when I injured my right hand... it actually really helped my game because I forced myself to throw CORRECTLY when left handed, it was the only real way I could learn... started slow, standing, focused on pulling straight across, and let the power eventually develop... Which is not how I started playing (right handed) in the first place, I just got out there and tried to throw the nuts out of it, no form.

Great overall learning experience and I would recommend to anyone!

I started oout LHBH, but I am normally right-hand dominant.
Because i am right-hand dominant, I throw thumbers, flicks and hammers right-handed.
Now I am working on my RHBH. Progressing slowly, but holed out from 120' on Saturday, RHBH.

Latest posts