• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyones disc golf course overrun by Pokemon Go-ers driving around the course?

CabMakio

Bogey Member
Although I don't play it, I see the reason many people enjoy Pokemon Go. Unfortunately for me, it seems my local course is some kind of Pokemon hub and now there are people walking around the course seemingly unaware that they are on a disc golf course.

The course is a part of a large public park with many facilities, but the disc golf course has it's own area, it is not a shared area like I have seen on some courses, there is literally no reason for anyone to be on the course unless they're throwing discs..... or apparently playing Pokemon Go.

At first I didn't really mind yelling down the fairway to explain the situation to a kid, and they were always polite and got out of the way, but now things have taken a dangerous turn. This is an Arizona course, and being July, it's naturally super hot. I guess that since the popularity of the game has grown and more people have gotten involved, some people have started DRIVING THEIR CARS down the dirt paths that wrap around the course. These are clearly walking paths and you actually have to jump a curb to access them by car, these people can't bare the heat of getting out of their car but still "gotta catch em all".

I went to throw some discs around noon today because it was "only" 105 outside. I was the only person crazy enough to play disc golf, but counted 6 cars driving around the course and it really upset me. To go from the parking lot to the paths around the course, you have to drive on a path that goes through the playground where kids play and where before Pokemon Go, I never saw a car.

This is a public city park with many facilities for people to use so I'm wondering what i can do about this? I really don't care about the kids who walk onto the course, but driving down obvious walking paths seems to cross the line, at least in my mind. Should I try contacting the city to see if they can put up signs making it even more clear that cars are not allowed in the area? Am I completely overreacting? I'm sure it's hard for you reading this to give an informed opinion without seeing the course, but I'm getting tired of walking from hole to hole and having to dodge cars. I seriously considered stopping one of the cars and telling them to get the heck off the course, but like I said, I was by myself and I'm not very formidable, so I decided to let it go, at least for today :D What would you do in my situation?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I assume I would want to call the non-emergency police number and not 911?

I will give an update next time I go as I'm sure there will be more drivers (I've seen them the last 3-4 times I've played there) should be no later than Wednesday

Hmmm... I have my own way and I don't recommend it... I'd have gotten right in front of that car and politely asked what they thought they were doing... but like always these folks I confront think to offer me a fight... I've yet to see it get that far and I always get my way... but it will only take once for it to go wrong...

Shrug

I suffer no fools these days. Even if I am one myself :D

Yeah f that. Police need to be called ASAP. You dont drive on park space... It shouldn't even be that accessible' few concrete pylons and done deal.

About 5-6 years ago we used to have a lot of dirt bikers at our local course who would drive up the walking paths, fairways, do donuts around the baskets etc. Well I used to call the cops every time I saw them and cops would show up several minutes, even an hour or more later after they were gone. Well I was at a doubles event and the guy on the other team says "I got this". He calls up and says this (paraphrasing): 'There is a guy riding his dirt bike at the park, doing donuts, ruining the grass. I am a frisbee golf player and this is not the first time I've called. Since you guys don't seem to have a sense of urgency about this I will have to take matters into my own hands.' He hung up. Cops came within five minutes and caught the biker red handed; haven't seen it again and this guy wasn't the only one doing it. Guy who called the cops had to quit cuz the cops wanted to talk to him lol but he got done what needed to. Not sure what ever happened to the disc golfer, never saw him again.

Bravo... nothing much gets done without sticking one's neck out

The new fad for lazy people. Lets burn gas and drive around. My home course http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5521 has some holes by the park roads and the most cited con in reviews is the holes that play by the road. Well it was not that big of deal in the past as people would drive by 15 - 25 mph & pass quickly. Now there is a almost non-stop parade of cars going at idle speed causing a wait fest. Not as many people walking by the holes. Florida seems to be the capitol of lazy. They just stay in the car and drive around wasting gas and making the oil companies richer.

Can't wait for this fad to pass.

Last edited:
My experience with Pokeman so far has been a golf cart full of 7 children riding around instead of walking through our neighborhood and running into a curb and a woman followed me into the men's room at Logan Airport playing Pokeman. The woman in the men's room reaction was consistent with today's society. She took no responsibility at all and stated that she did not see anything, then casually walked out with eyes glued to phone.

I had a mom and little boy (maybe 5) walking down a path that passes right next to the tee box at Jones Park in Holly Springs a couple of weeks ago. The little boy was very excited to be out looking for these things and came up to ask my buddies and me if we played the game. I made him repeat the name a couple of times and then proclaimed "I have never heard of that. Did you just make that word up?" I thought the kids head would explode. Then his mom chimes in with "there is one right here (pointing to the side of the path)". I told the boy "I don't see anything." His mom says "we have to catch it and then it will be real". So the boys gets the phone and "catches it". I look at the still empty ground and tell the kid "There is nothing there. you are just making it up aren't you?". Kid got so animated that the mom just grabbed his hand and led him away.

The new fad for lazy people. Lets burn gas and drive around. My home course http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5521 has some holes by the park roads and the most cited con in reviews is the holes that play by the road. Well it was not that big of deal in the past as people would drive by 15 - 25 mph & pass quickly. Now there is a almost non-stop parade of cars going at idle speed causing a wait fest. Not as many people walking by the holes. Florida seems to be the capitol of lazy. They just stay in the car and drive around wasting gas and making the oil companies richer.

Can't wait for this fad to pass.

Hahaha you live where the fat lazy turds live, but MN might be the exception. Observe.

2itlsnd.png

I started playing July 8th, and I only play a coupla hrs a day with some buddies. Still averaging over 15 km a day hahahahaha. The game is only as good as the people who play it, apparently.

Latest posts