• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Tomahawks and Thumbers this generations roller/forehand?

RShope33073

Bogey Member
As much as people complain about tomahawks and Thumbers reminds me of when people used to complain about forehands and rollers. The complaints were due to the fact that A. The complainer can't throw one and B. The complainer was losing strokes to someone who could. We seem to be at that place now with tomahawks and Thumbers. Everyone's played someone on a tight wooded course who's gone up and over everything as often as they can, and can throw 300'+.

I mean, I get what your saying. But I've been throwing tomahawks and thumbers for a long time. At least 15 years. So I have a hard time thinking this is a new thing. It's easier wen your younger too, it requires a good shoulder and a lot of power. I used to get it prettt far, but I can't go 300+. Its definitely a shot that I've had when I need it since I started. The best part of DG is that it's so individualized. The games all mental, so same as you an throw a roller and have it be a bad play, same with overhands. It's all about how they are utilized. There will always be haters, play with newbs and they'll hate on your BH lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, I get what your saying. But I've been throwing tomahawks and thumbers for a long time. At least 15 years. So I have a hard time thinking this is a new thing. It's easier wen your younger too, it requires a good shoulder and a lot of power. I used to get it prettt far, but I can't go 300+. Its definitely a shot that I've had when I need it since I started. The best part of DG is that it's so individualized. The games all mental, so same as you an throw a roller and have it be a bad play, same with overhands. It's all about how they are utilized. There will always be haters, play with newbs and they'll hate on your BH lol.

I've been throwing them for 20+ years also and can throw tomahawks 325 or so with a wraith and Thumbers about 275 pretty easily with a teebird. To me it's an addaption from a baseball throw for me. I don't see anyone who didn't play baseball well being able to develop the shot.

I've been throwing them for 20+ years also and can throw tomahawks 325 or so with a wraith and Thumbers about 275 pretty easily with a teebird. To me it's an addaption from a baseball throw for me. I don't see anyone who didn't play baseball well being able to develop the shot.

Former college pitcher here. Tomahawk was simple enough but the grip on the thumber just messes with me and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Former college pitcher here. Tomahawk was simple enough but the grip on the thumber just messes with me and I can't figure it out for the life of me.
You have to use a smaller rim disc thumb is shorter than your fingers that's also the main reason for lost distance in my opinion. Your thumb needs to be able to bend at a 90 degree angle or more or else you are losing power.

Agreed with above, I never go faster than 9 speed( I use a fb for that) but usually use a teebird or similar speed 7. A kind of hold it like a gun, pointer finger tucked under the rim like it's grabbing a trigger. Also try releasing at a slight angle away from your shoulder, maybe 10-15 degrees. Good luck.

The easiest shot for a new player to throw fairly straight is an overhand shot. Overhand is all on a vertical plane so it makes sense logically. BH and FH go all over the place for new players because its on a horizontal plane. I personally like watching a player proficient in all types of shots especially rollers, easily the most difficult shot.

As much as people complain about tomahawks and Thumbers reminds me of when people used to complain about forehands and rollers. The complaints were due to the fact that A. The complainer can't throw one and B. The complainer was losing strokes to someone who could. We seem to be at that place now with tomahawks and Thumbers. Everyone's played someone on a tight wooded course who's gone up and over everything as often as they can, and can throw 300'+.

Quite presumptuous. Perhaps the complainers do so for entirely different reasons.

I don't remember ever hearing anyone complain that somebody threw forehand.

Then you probably weren't playing in the early 90's

Nope, mid-90s.

It could, of course, have been regional.

I do remember being envious of those who threw FH & BH, which was fairly rare at that time and my place.

I also remember people who threw all-overhand, at least by the late 90s. It's not terribly new.

Seems to me that tomohawks/thumbers have their place. I use a thumber often in scramble situations where there's just no real line. That being said I think that only throwing them is cheap and prevents the thrower from having to work on their game as much as those of us who throw real golf lines. Also seems to me that working on my game and learning new stuff is fun, so they're selling themselves short. How many thumber/overhand dominant pros were on lead cards this year? Anywhere.

A friend and I played a tourney in 2011. After out first round we went off site for lunch. I couldn't believe how much he complained about two forehand dominant players on his card. Of course, they made the lead card and he didn't in the second round. :doh:

I am admittedly very bachand dominant. When forced, though, I have no problem whipping out my weak forehand, roller, tomahawk, or thumber game. I have fun throwing all of them..

The point of the game is to get from point A to point B in the least number of throws.... and to have fun. So throw what you want, when you want, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Current pitcher here. I'm the opposite - can throw thumbers easily and relatively accurately, Tommy's for me go all over the place

Current pitcher here. I'm the opposite - can throw thumbers easily and relatively accurately, Tommy's for me go all over the place
Tomahawks are easier for me because I played center field I equate it to throwing from center to home. Thumbers I think are more of a football throw or 3rd base to first type of throw. But really disc selection is key to either type of throw.

Seems to me that tomohawks/thumbers have their place. I use a thumber often in scramble situations where there's just no real line. That being said I think that only throwing them is cheap and prevents the thrower from having to work on their game as much as those of us who throw real golf lines. Also seems to me that working on my game and learning new stuff is fun, so they're selling themselves short. How many thumber/overhand dominant pros were on lead cards this year? Anywhere.
Matt Dollar comes to mind. He's got an average backhand and forehand but a superb overhand and putt. And basically everyone who played Texas States on the lead card threw a lot of overhands.

The problem is that a lot of holes just aren't designed for overhands. And they shouldn't be really. If you can go over the top of every hole it's not an interesting course. I don't think it's cheap at all. It's a good shot to have, but usually it's not the best shot.

Schwebby anyone? He's been throwing OH like a madman since the 90's. I met him a couple times in Zebulon. He wasn't a baseball player. He played tennis at the college level though. He's also a good all around player, but so are all the pros.

I used to complain about FH dominant players and I didn't start playing until 07. But it was all immature jealousy on my part (because they scored better). I have since learned to throw something that resembles a FH and after playing with Schwebby I started throwing OH on occasion. There are so many techniques out there and they aren't new. We've been throwing frisbees for almost 70 years as humans. There's nothing new under the sun, just new eyes on old things. The number one thing to learn is always putting. The disc must come to rest in the basket.

I need a practice basket...

Latest posts