• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are understable mids necessary?

When I need a straight line around 250 to 300 ft. I most always grab an understandable mid. I can't imagine playing a wooded course without an US mid.

Absolutely necessary. There are many shots that an understable mid, thrown on an anhyzer line, works better for. First, forehand hyzer and backhand anhyzer are two different lines. Sometimes trees and obstacles dictate which shot works. I often want the soft landing of the anhyzer flight, depending on terrain around the pin or pin position. FH hyzers lines tend to skip. Most of the time the choice is made by which throw you are more accurate or comfortable with. I use a D Stratus, GL Core and a Comet for many of my L>R approach shots. Even bag a X Put'r for occasional understable putt and approach.

While I technically bag an understable mid, It's actually SO understable, that it's more of an understable approach disc. It's a Star Foxbat, and does NOT match its flight numbers. Officially listed as 5/6/0/1. I would call it 3/6/-1/1. It rolls anhyzer if you sneeze at it.

Every time I want to throw a midrange anhyzer, I throw my Mako3, which is stable. It holds whatever line I put it on, and as others have said, I don't like the unpredictability of understable discs. Whereas, my husband bags a DX Stingray, that he uses to pretty great effect.

So... I agree that the anhyzer line is important at the midrange shot range. How it's achieved is really up to the player.

*opposite of that other thread

For shots (right handed) going left to right, do I need to bag a understable mid, or can I get by with stable to overstable mid forehand that goes left to right?

I think having that option is more relevant than the opposite.

It's always good to have something you can throw with little power and know it's going to so straight or right (rhbh) Eventually you'll have a stance where you can't throw sidearm to get that left to right flight.

Buzz SS thrown low power and lots of snap will fly left to right over its entire path. Do you have to have it, no. It's only necessary if you want shave sttokes.

I was about to post the same. I don't have great form, and even I can get a gentle left-to-right shot with the Buzzz SS.

I mostly use putters for hyzer flip (rhbh) then fade right kinda shots, but sometimes an understable mid does that with slightly more distance. If you are equally good with forehand and backhand then you may not need any understable discs, but most people will have a weakness one way or the other and having an understable mid will fill a spot in the bag.

If I could FH well I wouldn't bag US mids, but I can't FH worth crap so I do bag US mids.

I don't leave the house without my Stratus, beaten-up DX Roc, and 2000-era Champ Stingray. So versatile and often used.

For shots (right handed) going left to right, do I need to bag a understable mid, or can I get by with stable to overstable mid forehand that goes left to right?

Sometimes it depends a little bit on the courses you play.

The first clarification is that a backhand turnover, and a forehand fade, don't have the same flight path. On more open courses you can get away with one or the other, but on more challenging wooded courses, sometimes only one or the other will work. (The simplistic description is that the turnover turns hardest early in the flight and finishes straighter; the forehand turns hardest late in the flight.)

Then there are times when obstacles to a stance only allow one motion, or the other. If you're a righty, stuck in dense brush on the right side of the fairway, your only option may be backhand.

They're needed for no other reason than they are most fun to throw.

^this. and the forehand gets around the corner and finishes right. where an understable mid makes the turn and glides out or even fades back left. both have their place. if you can throw a forhand hyzerflip that gets right then flips and finishes back left (flat)...then maybe you dont need it? and if you can please post a video.

fwiw flippy mids are fun. :gross:

Downhill tunnels and tailwind bombs, the US mid is superb. On wooded holes with the FH vs turnover debate, I find it's a lot easier to hit gaps and go long with a hyzer flipped mid into a turnover than with a FH because most of the stuff I'm decent at sidearming have dumpy fade. Another thing that makes them necessary is that a lot of the tees around here hug the right treeline which makes squeezing off a FH uncomfortably tight plus likewise you're inevitably gonna get stuck just inside the right rough at some point and need to straddle out backwards for an exaggerated soft anhyzer to get around the bend.

The biggest reason they're necessary to me is without them I'll regress into a bigger torque monkey and my form all around will suffer with OAT.

Kidding right? Understable mids are the workhorse for us mortals. And yes, upon a time the champ and other non mortals relied on this specific disc to win consistently. cycling mids creates such subject matter.

Oh....I could talk way too much about a cycled mid. Panta Se downhill 400 footers and throwing that disc to deuce. Like tasting wine from white oak barrels.

They are absolutely necessary to my game! As a LHBH thrower with a RH forehand, I need all of the understable discs I can find to turnover! I don't know what I'd do on a 230-270 dogleg left without my M4

my Cobra's are a staple of my game. I couldn't give them up no matter how good my forehand gets. the lines I can hit are just too sweet.

I can easily play a round at my local courses without an overstable mid, which is what I usually do. The same thing cannot be said about removing the neutral to understable mid slot (m4) from my bag.

I bag them. If they're good enough for Michael Johansen (who does use the sidearm), they're good enough for me.