• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are You Brand Loyal?

Are you brand loyal?

• I'm brand loyal. I just throw X and here's why:

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • I basically just have one brand in my bag, because it's what's available.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • I primarily throw X, but I have bag spots with other brands.

Votes: 118 43.1%
  • No way I'm brand loyal! I find what works.

Votes: 109 39.8%
  • Wait... these plastic things are made by different companies?

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Started with Discraft...went to a mixed bag for awhile...back to all Discraft (and a Blowfly). I do have a Rat on deck for when my straight Zone starts looking too rough.

Being one of the few DC throwers in Innova country (and surrounded by Trilogy fanboys only brave enough to talk **** about "Discrap" they've never thrown) really cemented my all Discraft bag, because **** 'em.

Who on this thread has done that?
Just seems to be a common theme around dgcr. Allot of bashing because people like a certain brand it's foolish. But everyone in this thread seems to side with being an enthusiast and not a hater, so carry on ;)

Axiom/MVP because their 150g stuff and their fission stuff performs just like the max weight versions for a noodle arm but with less discomfort...
...because I only spend about 400/year on DG and I haven't tried all the molds on all the plastics yet to truly finish settling on my bag
...the proxy, envy, ion, anode, tangent, matrix, alias, crave, virus, vanish, wrath, defy and others have been very rewarding discs to throw
...I like the colors
...oh, and did I mention the 150 class from Axiom/MVP absolutely embarrasses other company's lighter plastic for consistent flight patterns

Innova will always have a place in my bag: Classic Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Leopards, Firebirds, Thunderbirds. I've tried a lot of discs but these are what I feel most comfortable throwing. As for other brands, here's what I would consider carrying (and have bagged at times):

P2
FD (currently have one in the bag)
Comet
Shield
Stag
Harp

Still, these get thrown mostly because they are like variants of the Innova discs above (example: Stag is like a beat-in Teebird.)

As a life long drag racer I always went with the parts that worked best. If parts were comparable I would support companies that supported me personally,teams I worked with or the sport in general. I have seen no advantage in the discs from one major company over another. No one is ever going to support me personally (dead arm) ,not a lot of crews in disc golf soI look at who supports the sport. Several seem to give back to the sport so I lean towards them.

As a life long drag racer I always went with the parts that worked best. If parts were comparable I would support companies that supported me personally,teams I worked with or the sport in general. I have seen no advantage in the discs from one major company over another. No one is ever going to support me personally (dead arm) ,not a lot of crews in disc golf soI look at who supports the sport. Several seem to give back to the sport so I lean towards them.

can you really compare a teebird to a stalker tho

there are advantages in certain molds

Brand lazy, more like.
Haven't rationalized the need, or want to spend more cash on expanding my range of discs outside of the Innova umbrella. I'm sure there are discs I'd freak out over. But that's also why I'm keeping my blinders on.

Insert meme of Dwight from the office talking about loyalty.

Last edited:
Mixed bag including Latitude, Westside, Dynamic, Innova, Discmania, and Hyzerbomb. However, if a sponsorship ever hooked me up, because they so desperately need a great amateur masters who would struggle just to place in pro, I could see myself capable of doing all Westside or Dynamic. With Innova I would struggle finding a maximum distance driver, overstable mid, and a putting putter. I do not like any of Latitude or Discmania mids. I could survive on Latitude's drivers, and as much as I dislike beaded discs, I could make Innova's mids work.

As for Discraft, I bet I could make it work. At one point a few years back, before the market really blew up with options, I had tested almost every disc available. However, I have no clue about any of Discraft's newer drivers. I am not sure what I would use for a putting putter, just not the Challenger or Magnet because they never felt right in my hands. I would use a Jawbreaker APX and an ESP Zone for approach. Their mids are more solid than any other company, with Dynamic being a distant second, and while now through a mixed bag I found better pairings, I am sure I would have little drop-off with using Meteor, Buzzz SS, Buzzz, Nebula, and Buzzz OS. The last time I threw them, I liked X Nukes and ESP Forces. Maybe I would give the Stalker or Cyclone another try.

Still, if Westside wants to throw me a sponsorship and five of every disc that I would need to complete a bag, I would be more than happy to throw some online love back at the world.

if youre not sponsored there is no reason to be brand loyal

buncha sheep....
In every other part of life outside of disc golf, I completely agree with you. Let's assume someone is rated high enough/good enough to get sponsored by one of the top brands. Wouldn't only bagging one brand "look good" for those potential sponsors? Even if you like different discs from different brands, most people still have a favorite brand. Wouldn't it just make sense to switch over all your discs to whatever brand you already have the most of in your bag? That way you would be more likely to be looked at by that brand. Once you're sponsored you can usually only throw discs for that company anyway.

In every other part of life outside of disc golf, I completely agree with you. Let's assume someone is rated high enough/good enough to get sponsored by one of the top brands. Wouldn't only bagging one brand "look good" for those potential sponsors? Even if you like different discs from different brands, most people still have a favorite brand. Wouldn't it just make sense to switch over all your discs to whatever brand you already have the most of in your bag? That way you would be more likely to be looked at by that brand. Once you're sponsored you can usually only throw discs for that company anyway.

maybe i know im never going to be that good so its not on my radar

interesting point tho

As many have said, unless they are paying me...
So I throw a mix bag.
But with two disc makers in my backyard, I've wanted to be a homeboy.
If we're being honest here, I did start throwing the Nova because of McBeast.
So I just might be coaxed into buying other Discraft discs.

No. I think being brand loyal is more of a hinderance than anything the more I get into this sport.

We owe it to ourselves to see how different discs fly. Letting minutia dictate things for you seems increasingly silly as the market deepens.

I used to throw what works, but after 4 years of buying and trading discs to figure out what works for me.... I am done and what is in my sig is what works best for me. and it's MVP plastics, the community is pretty good too.

It's pretty cool to see the evolution. Of the game, in 2005 when I was first playing some as many have said it was pretty much just Innova and Discraft, with a few small brands like Lightning out there.

By the time I started playing often and getting into the sport, you had many more options and even more styles of discs. Gone we're the days of guys winning league with a Roc and an Aviar, the tech had moved the game along.

Now you can easily make a full and complete bag from nearly a dozen companies.

Heck I make about one per year solo company bag just for fun. The innova one I made, let me score just as well as my normal mixed bag, even though discs I lean on(Stego and Harp) have no direct comparable in their brand.

Now I'm working on an MVP/Axiom bag and I can't wait to see how it shakes out.

The Discraft one I made three years ago I didn't love, but think I could make a good one now. Of course the Salient one I used(yeah I know shut up) wasn't ideal but I took it out the other day and still shot -6 at Oregon park Gold so it's serviceable.

We are just in this sport at a very cool time.

I feel like staying brand-loyal helps keep my bag away from upheaval because there's only a couple releases per year and those are easy to sift through.

Guess I could do that with a mixed bag, but with a mixed bag there's so many more new toys out there to potentially audition to make the bag.

Mixed or non-mixed, throwing what you know is probably the most important thing.

Latest posts