• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Are you going APE?

I got a orange proto thats marked 175 but i scaled it to 178.9. that should be a meat hook for sure

It looks like the max weight is 175.1g according to the pdga approved list.
Kind of unfortunate, 3 outta my 4 are overweight, but not as obese as that 178.9 goliath.

I have three 175g Apes, throwing two of them today in moderate to heavy sustained headwinds. I do not know about others but mine are definitely not flippy, but also not meathooks either. Their finish is comparable to an XCaliber but they have a more level flight, slightly less HSS out of the hand than the XCal. This was giving me about 20 to 30 more feet.

However, today's round was not expected to be fantastic because of the wind. I just wanted consistency while everyone else got whipped around. Several shots when thrown directly into this wind simply went straight from start to finish; no turn, no fade. The problem was every time I was aiming I was hoping for at least a little fade and so I still ended up right of the target. Thankfully not as far as others.

Overall, these are definitely keepers and will find more use than my XCals ever did.

I guess they are all produced at max weight, 'eh?? I wonder if they will produce these in 165 grm.

Our first box of them at GGGT, all 100 were 175g. All pretty much with the same dome height. Basically the only difference were the colors and even then I was not impressed. It seems Champion plastic in the last year has been getting pretty good-looking, some very unique colors and blends. Yet this box of Apes contained just the basics, nothing to get excited about. We should be getting in a shipment within the week with more Apes. Hopefully I will not be substitute teaching that day and can put in a few hours of work at the store. I would love to be able to unpack those again and see what we got before they hit the shelves.

Bought a 171 Ape from pias and threw it today. My max drive is usually about '225 forehand and these discs gave me no distance whatsoever. :thmbdown:

Threw a bad teeshot into a foursome onto another fairway though and hit an unsuspecting player. He raised a big fiasco and is gonna try to sue me for apparently bruising his ribs. Wtf?!?!?

Dnt give the disc a thumbs down because it didnt improve anything for u,its not the apes fault ur throwing it instead of throwing a much slower disc like u should

I can't see that I am going to need this disc. I just don't see where it will fit in my bag. I don't have a huge arm, but with boss, destroyers, and firebirds where does this fit in. from my understanding it is more stable than all of these.

Bought a 171 Ape from pias and threw it today. My max drive is usually about '225 forehand and these discs gave me no distance whatsoever. :thmbdown:

Threw a bad teeshot into a foursome onto another fairway though and hit an unsuspecting player. He raised a big fiasco and is gonna try to sue me for apparently bruising his ribs. Wtf?!?!?

Are you freaking kidding me??? You throw 225 feet with a forehand and go out and waste your money on a 13 speed disc? This is like buying a Ferrarri when all you have is a learners permit.

Sorry to hear about your legal problems, but you need to seriously reconsider your disc selection.

I can't see that I am going to need this disc. I just don't see where it will fit in my bag. I don't have a huge arm, but with boss, destroyers, and firebirds where does this fit in. from my understanding it is more stable than all of these.

Have you thrown an XCaliber? It's much like the XCal, but with more speed and more glide. Makes for a great anheizer flip disc on the forehand, and works very well into the wind.

I am reading the the pre-release are less stable then the proto star ones. I know my proto star one when thrown flat into a 15-20mph headwind stayed straight then bailed left when it ran out of speed. It feels like the first run bosses do to me, which I like a lot. So for now it is in tryouts for a place in my bag.

I watched the local pro throw them this weekend, and they looked quite a bit more stable than XCals. He a Champion Ape, and he was using it for big hyzers and flex anhyzers. He throws XCals straight and flat, so I would think that the Ape would need a lot more stability. At least that is what it looked like to me.

... Sorry you shanked a shot, dude. Not the disc's fault.

And seriously... 225 forehand? I backhand a Buzzz at least a hundred feet further than that. First time I threw my Ape, it went about 330. It was a low shot, though. Next one hit 370 or so, I'd say.

These are the discs you need to order instead of a flashy champion 13 speed:

Viper
Leopard
Cheetah
Banshee
Eagle

You just don't have the arm for anything bigger than these. And hell, I still throw my Vipers. Damn fine drivers.

Well put.

I've tested one of my Proto Apes and they're really beefy. Beefier than the x-cal to say the least. Very overstable. Haven't thrown the stock stamp, but buddies have told me that theirs have been flying pretty str8 with no fade into big headwinds.

I'm still on the fence about it. I'll probably keep it out of the bag until it warms up out more where my arm can get better power. IMO discs like this need to be kept out of the bag unless you're throwing them around 450.