• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Artificially beating up discs?

Oooooh, burn!! :hfive:

I like the colour red because I'm pro labour; how about we type the way Canadiens do as well? Nope, this is an American forum dammit, type American!!

This forum is based in USA but this is an International forum....
Can't we all get along?....Let's keep our minds open.

Act globally.. Buy locally...

back to OP...

Give that disc Hell...lol

Last edited:
all depends on your moral disc values. if you don't mind beating it up against a tree or brick wall on purpose, then go for it. otherwise just play a lot and maybe throw it on high-risk collision shots. personally i have never beat a disc on purpose.

Call me old fashioned, but when I want to break in new discs I just go out to the most wooded holes I can find and throw the hell out of them. Second shots mostly. Thumbers and fast FH flicks galore.

Although I wouldn't recommend having it done on purpose, I had my mom's puppy chew on my dx aviar and that day I took it out and it flew exactly how you described you want your aviar to fly. I was extremely mad when it happened, but I actually love the way it flies.

I am a proponent of playing with the disc as it beats in - then you can really learn the flight path as it wears. My only exception is the disc I have lost a few times and hurrily replaced, took my truck in the grass and ran it over twice - mmmm, flies beautifully.

To replace my beat in voodoo, I went down and threw several full force drives into a concrete wall. It's moneyyyyyyy for turnovers/anhyzers now. Throw it with a bit more hyzer-dead straight flight out to around 280', literally no fade.

:popcorn:

I am a really new player so most of my discs are probably just starting to beat in. I have a few used and found (I called), but today I was getting pissed at my nuke (I know I'm a noob and shouldn't be throwing a nuke) because it wouldn't do the same thing it "normally" does on a anny line. so I was throwing it against a tree. I'm sure the people behind me were quite entertained. :wall:

I love this forum

What does it normally do on an anny line? I'm figuring that you are talking about a flex shot...

Well I have been having success putting it on about an 20* anny line and getting it to sit down about 260+ right on with the basket. The wind today here could have been a factor but I basically got frustrated and took it out on the nuke and an innocent tree. :doh:

I am a really new player so most of my discs are probably just starting to beat in. I have a few used and found (I called), but today I was getting pissed at my nuke (I know I'm a noob and shouldn't be throwing a nuke) because it wouldn't do the same thing it "normally" does on a anny line. so I was throwing it against a tree. I'm sure the people behind me were quite entertained. :wall:

I used a sidewalk or cement teepad. Throwing your disc at a tree on purpose can be bad for the tree.

my cousin did this with a champ orc. he couldnt get it to fly right so he smashed it into a tree every chance he could get. now its a nice distance driver for him.

Put it in the dryer for 30 mins. The heat and tumbling do all the work for you

I accidentally left my Vibrams in my black car on a hot day. Now my Ascent turns and burns like a beat DX Leopard. It might be worth trying on purpose, but start with a disc you don't care about IMHO.

as its most likely been stated, throw that motha against everything and anything. sh*t itll break in pretty darn quick. what, do you want someone to do it for ya??? i'd be glad to...another reason to let frustration out on certain plastic, please...just ask my 150 pointless r pro boss, aka r pro b*tch...

You don't want to scratch the disc, you do want to beat it up though.

Concrete is a bad idea.

I actually will second the dryer idea, but add some shoes and other discs and don't turn on the heat. Use the "air dry" option.. It won't scratch up the disc either.

Makes me want one of those tumblers they use for gems. Only a matter of time before the manufacturers start coming out with a "worn in" line. Maybe the evolution of discs will be similar to the evolution of jeans.

Isn't it funny how the best-condition discs cost the most and fly the worst? I'm always digging through the found bins seeking that beat-in gem. What is the true value of a disc that takes 2.5 years to perfect?

I just give a new disc to my nephews.
In a couple of hours the thing is well seasoned!
For champ/star type plastics, I throw rollers over gravel roads, seems to work well in a relatively short time period.