• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask Chris Hysell the angry old Discraft Pro

D*mn. I had a pancake flat white one @ 160 and it was my best freind for FH shots. I guess it's good I didn't get too attached to it as it's been impossible to find a replacement.

Any thoughts as to why the Pulse never really caught on? I've heard the mold called inconsistent, but every one that I have is flat and beefy with any variation in flight due to weight.

I liked it also for forehands. I threw the Talon forever and then moved on. Some good things just go away.

Old is ten years added on to my age. Every time I reach an age I thought made someone old, I realize how short-sighted I was. I'm rounding 40 in the next couple of years, and I may ache a little more the morning after a soccer game but still manage to get around without issue.

One division or a different age criteria for division?

It used to be 35 for Masters and then it went to 40. I would not be opposed to making the divisons in 20 year increments. I say that as i'm about to turn 50. Maybe as I get closer to 60 I won't want to play against 40yr olds. But I have still been beaten by 60+yr old men who play masters.

I would almost like to see it be purely ratings based. I would welcome the chance to get schooled (both beaten and taught something) by someone with a couple decades experience in the game. Although, the older I get, the more I'd rather not play with "kids". Maybe I am getting old!

I would almost like to see it be purely ratings based. I would welcome the chance to get schooled (both beaten and taught something) by someone with a couple decades experience in the game. Although, the older I get, the more I'd rather not play with "kids". Maybe I am getting old!

This is me all over.

I just started playing events, and I play advanced masters, even though I have 2 out of 3 DFLs in the div. I probably could get away with Rec, and certainly could play intermediate (though the scoring spreads are pretty similar to adv masters around here.) I got carded last event with the reigning US and reigning World Adv Mast champs, so imagine what THAT did to my self-esteem, LOL.

But I love the guys around here in this div, and have a blast playing with most all of them, so I'll continue to take my lumps with the "40 year old surgeons." That would be my only slight beef with going to rating-based only Am Divs. Otherwise, I see the logic.

One of the problems I see with advanced am division is there's two wildly different palyer attitudes. "I want to go pro ASAP" vs. "I do NOT want to go pro EVER." There's more to that difference/decision than rating, obviously. But I can sympathize with the advanced "bagger" that doesn't want to start taking cash, playing in a largely different environment, with totally different players/attitudes, etc, more serious vs. "fun," etc. Like, is advanced am like AAA to open div? Or should it simply be the best players that don't want to play open for their own reasons.

Wasn't there talk at one point of doing something like basically bumping the age-protected divs up by 5 years? Like, masters 45+, etc? Would that be "better" than 40-60, 60-80? Just wondering....

/post diarrhea

Being a newbie, yet with 51 year-old knees, I figured the divisions were well thought-out. Then, reading the scores, I understood that "age-protected" didn't equate to "ego-protected".

I can have my ass handed to me in lots of divisions!

Chris, I genuinely ask how you are approaching the age question as to divisional placement, and maybe selection of the tournaments in which you participate for the coming few seasons?

I'm really torn this year as to which division I want to play in. I'm required to play in 50% of my events as a Master since I am on the Discraft Master's team. I started out this year by picking divisions in events that had the higher number of players. So far the GM division has had more participants than the masters division. Currently I don't think that the GM division is as easy as it appears.

Did you get a chance to check your discs. If you have one in blue let me know and I'll send $$ with Bob this weekend. Thanks

Kinda met you today at Winchester. How do you think you played?