• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

autocrosscrx ITB

More Beast info from Innova (via Marshall Street online)

The Beast was created in late 2002. After Barry Schultz won his second
world championship in 2004, Dave Dunipace made a slight change to the
Beast mold to make it a little less high speed stable than the original.
He felt the original Beast was too similar to the Orc. Since the
original mold was retooled, we have only able to produce the new
retooled Beast.
In 2014, problems arose with the Beast. Malfunctioning mold parts could
no longer be used and were retired. We ordered new Beast parts from our
mold making company. They mistakenly produced the Beast from the
original disc specifications and not from the updated 2004
specifications. So now we have a new "old mold" Beast. Barry Schultz was
very happy about it as he got his beloved original Beast back.

Since
we can no longer make the Beast with the faulty retooled parts, every
Beast going forward will be made with the new "old mold". It is possible
some retailers will continue to have older Beasts in stock until they
sell out.
The flight numbers on the Beast will remain unchanged as they accurately
reflect the flight of the current version of the Beast. Collectors will
be able tell an original old mold from the new old mold as the new mold
does not have patent numbers. The only way to tell the difference
between the retooled mold and the new "old mold" Beasts is by the shape
of the rim. Most Beast throwers and savvy collectors are already aware
of these facts. Again, all Beasts going forward will be made in the new
"old mold".

I'm amazed that people still buy DX discs and expect them not to change flight until they fill a completely different spot in their bag.

Definitely not me. I love the feel of DX, especially on a humid summer day when Star/GStar/Pro don't want to leave my hand. I love the glide and I love that you can cycle them.

And I usually get mine either when they are on closeout at Walmart or I grab three on F2 Friday when they have a freebie that is interesting to me. So I'm paying $3-6 apiece.

Definitely not me. I love the feel of DX, especially on a humid summer day when Star/GStar/Pro don't want to leave my hand. I love the glide and I love that you can cycle them.

And I usually get mine either when they are on closeout at Walmart or I grab three on F2 Friday when they have a freebie that is interesting to me. So I'm paying $3-6 apiece.

I bought a few DX discs. I don't dislike the feel of the plastic, but they don't seem like they will last very long. One tree/rock/root hit and who knows what you have.

I bought a few DX discs. I don't dislike the feel of the plastic, but they don't seem like they will last very long. One tree/rock/root hit and who knows what you have.

People say that and act like your disc will go from a Destroyer to a Mamba with one hit, but that hasn't been my experience. I'm hitting the first available tree, I'm landing on rocky greens, I'm skipping off sidewalks that run across the fairway, I'm throwing rollers on hardpan. Yeah, the disc changes, but it has always been pretty gradual for me.

Slower, stable DX discs age pretty gracefully, especially putters and mids. It used to take me 6 months to season a DX Roc into noticeably lower stability, and DX Teebirds were useful until I lost them.

But if you square up the first available tree on a full power rip, all bets are off. :|

Yeah. The DX Teebird in my bag has, for the most part, been in my bag for a year. It doesn't flip on me, but if I lean on it a little too hard or I'm throwing in the wind, it doesn't give me the fade that I expect. I bought the DX Beast at the same time. It was my primary driver for maybe 2 months, then it was my if the wind is right driver for about 6 months. Now it is a woods, get out of jail, turnover disc for me. The DX Destroyer is new. I like these so much that I think I'm going to buy a stack and cycle them.

I also throw lots of standstill, lots of fan grip, throw everything that I can get away with on hyzer, and have embraced nose up stall shots.

If you are out there running up everything, power gripping everything, and throwing everything flat, then I can see how you wouldn't want anything to do with DX plastic.

Yeah. The DX Teebird in my bag has, for the most part, been in my bag for a year. It doesn't flip on me, but if I lean on it a little too hard or I'm throwing in the wind, it doesn't give me the fade that I expect. I bought the DX Beast at the same time. It was my primary driver for maybe 2 months, then it was my if the wind is right driver for about 6 months. Now it is a woods, get out of jail, turnover disc for me. The DX Destroyer is new. I like these so much that I think I'm going to buy a stack and cycle them.

I also throw lots of standstill, lots of fan grip, throw everything that I can get away with on hyzer, and have embraced nose up stall shots.

If you are out there running up everything, power gripping everything, and throwing everything flat, then I can see how you wouldn't want anything to do with DX plastic.
I remember when I started playing discgolf I had a DX Sidewinder which was super flippy. After few tree hits it would turn like crazy. If I could flip it flat from a steep hyzer it would go straight. It didn't have any kind of fade after the initial turn.

Many would consider those for flip rollers. But one older guy told me that he uses flippy disc when your stuck in a standstill in wooded courses. If you need to power down you can keep some distance with flippy discs, but they require speed control.

I remember when I started playing discgolf I had a DX Sidewinder which was super flippy. After few tree hits it would turn like crazy. If I could flip it flat from a steep hyzer it would go straight. It didn't have any kind of fade after the initial turn.

Many would consider those for flip rollers. But one older guy told me that he uses flippy disc when your stuck in a standstill in wooded courses. If you need to power down you can keep some distance with flippy discs, but they require speed control.

I have a pretty flippy 168g dx teebird that I use for just that, stuck in a patent pending standstill or some other compromised footing, I can just focus on being smooth and hitting my gap, and the disc will behave like it was a mid/putter thrown at "full" power.

The shot that I was most proud of from my weekend round was one of those shots.

The hole is listed at 311 feet with about the first half in the wood. You have to turn the disc immediately, miss some trees, then hold straight out to hit a low ceiling 10-15 foot gap at around the halfway mark, then continue to hold that straight line another 100 or so feet, then fade hard left parallel to an OB walking path.

I plinko'd my drive off trees and landed short of the gap. I had to stretch my front leg to reach my mark and throw an inside out swing to avoid branches, totally off my back leg. Grabbed the Beast. It stood up just enough to penetrate forward, then faded towards the basket, leaving about a 20 footer that I stuffed for par. First time I had ever missed that gap and taken par.

Awesome! I love shots like that! I feel like that has been my biggest improvement over the last 6 months, I haven't really focused on distance or putting too much, but I've been playing far more aggressively on the scramble, and surprise myself fairly often with how well it works out.

….especially since the only other time I landed in that spot, I went FH roller that didn't make it out, FH roller that was thrown too well and went OB long, then tried a stupid skip shot off the path that never came in bounds, then threw the "right" shot, and hit a 15 foot death putt for an 8.

Pulled DX Beast and the Pro Leopard and added my old faithful Classic Blend Judge and my most understable DX Roc.

The Pro Leopard is fine, but there really isn't a shot where I'm choosing it over the DX Teebird. Threw a couple dozen shots to get vid this morning and had fun throwing Rocs, so I put one back in. And I had a chain out for eagle from 217 feet. Wanted the Judge to fit between the Sol and the Zone.

I missed the Beast. I love throwing the Sol, but I don't really need it between the Roc and the Judge. So I'll make that swap next time, putting me at....

-seasoned grid Aviar
-fresh grid Aviar
-Classic Blend Judge
-Fly Dye Zone
-Z Wasp
-seasoned 172g DX Roc
-seasoned DX Teebird
-400 plastic F2
-DX Beast (beat up)
-DX Destroyer (fresh)
-Opto Air Ballista

I'll be curious to hear how the DX Destroyer beats in for you, I just picked up a 6 or 7 out of 10 160g ricky mechanical raptor star destroyer from the used bin at our local shop, it almost flies like my most stable hades did new, dead straight for a long time and then reliable fade at the end. Which is perfect because the hades has started drifting more than I'm expecting for those shots. it still has a purpose in the bag, but it's nice to have that long straight shot with fade/skip at the end.
I'm looking forward to getting some course time with it, might be a more stable/slightly windy choice for the shots I'd normally reach for a hades.

I've cycled through a few of them. For me...

- First couple rounds until the flashing gets worn down. They hold a forward penetrating hyzer. Reliable in the wind.
- Next several weeks. They flip up a bit and fly straight to fade. Pretty big fade at the end. Still reliable in the wind.

In these stages, I'm only throwing them in headwinds and when there is trouble right. So I'm not throwing them much.

- Next couple of months. Fade at the end starts to straighten out, then they start to turn. They keep getting longer and longer.

That is the stage where I'm throwing them a LOT and when I tend to lose them when I hang them out over water and they don't come back.

I have a few really beat up Star Destroyer, but they are still too stable for me. They are also all 175g. I'm betting something in the 155-165g range would be really nice.

-seasoned grid Aviar
-fresh grid Aviar
-Classic Blend Judge
-Fly Dye Zone
-Z Wasp
-seasoned 172g DX Roc
-seasoned DX Teebird
-400 plastic F2
-gold line Saint
-DX Beast (beat up)
-DX Destroyer (fresh)
-Opto Air Ballista

Played this bag last night on my practice layout. Got my best score of the year by 3 strokes. Putted awful and was worse than usual off the tee, but my scramble game was really good. I had at least 6 par saves from spots where I'd usually take a bogey.

I'm still chunking more shots than I'd like when I'm around dogs off leashes, people playing catch poorly, and so forth.

I feel like the scramble game is what really starts to make those fire rounds possible, when you have a round where you're getting off the tee decent and putting well it makes all the difference. We aren't doing this for our day job so expecting 18 excellent tee shots in one round is near impossible, but being able to make those bad tee shots into pars is huge.

we had some ripping 20-25mph winds last night on the course, I tried the destroyer a couple times, I can tell it has some stability left in it, but it kept drifting far left before starting to hyzer back to the right, not quite the headwind distance drive I want, maybe I'll try picking up a new 155-160 ish star for headwind shots and keep this one for gentle headwinds where I can't trust the hades.

I've always been good with the creative stuff around the basket. I think that actually somewhat comes from being 5'7" and playing basketball most my life.

What really makes or breaks me is whether I commit to my 150-250 foot approaches. If I can throw nice crisp shot past the basket and hit a 15 for par early, I usually have a pretty good day.

What really makes or breaks me is whether I commit to my 150-250 foot approaches. If I can throw nice crisp shot past the basket and hit a 15 for par early, I usually have a pretty good day.

Committing to approaches is the biggest mental block in my game. I almost always leave it short, frequently too short for a comfortable putt. 15 feet past is the same as 15ft short but get me on the course and that doesn't seem to translate.

Last edited:
Played one of our longer tournament courses yesterday (first time of the season). Pretty much all distance drivers and putters.
Never touched the Wasp or the Saint. Threw the Roc and Teebird once. Threw the F2 several times, but only for touchy forehand approaches that needed a skip that a Zone wouldn't give me.

Also got my Ballista stuck in a tree and decided that I value it enough to risk losing a shoe. Knocked it down 3rd throw.

Messed around with a couple of putter only rounds, then a couple of 7 speed and under rounds. Then I went out to the aforementioned big 18 and got my best by 2 strokes (even taking double on 18).

Carried...
- seasoned Classic Aviar
- seasoned Classic Aviar
- Z Sol
- Classic Blend Judge
- Z Fly Dyed Zone
- 172g DX Roc
- 180g DX Roc
- Z Wasp
- F2 in 400 plastic
- DX Teebird
- DX Destroyer
- Opto Air Ballista

Never threw the Sol. Never threw the F2.

It isn't showing in field work, but I seem to have found a chunk of practical distance lately. I think I'm also throwing a lot flatter. The Ballista has gotten super flippy for me to the point where I'm not sure it is worth bagging. And the Destroyer is beating into what the Ballista used to be for me. The Wasp/Roc/Roc package could easily be trimmed to 2. And the Sol is nothing more than an understable utility forehand disc. I'd keep it over the least stable Roc for that reason.

It is nice to have a Firebird or H1 in the bag, so that is one slot. And I guess I need another driver.

Latest posts