• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

autocrosscrx ITB

I'll be curious to hear how the DX Destroyer beats in for you

I've been throwing this a lot off the tee. Probably close to 50% of the time the last few weeks. Last week I threw a shot that landed at least 30 feet past where I typically land, skipping it off a paved walking path that crosses the fairway and chewing up the rim a bit. The very next hole throws across the previous hole, parallel to the same walking path. I didn't hit the release the way I wanted, letting the shot bleed left and taking a big skip off the path. Now about half the outer edge is rashed. I proceed to turn over every shot I threw with this disc the rest of the round.

Thinking it is now "ruined", I took it and every comparable driver that I had to the field. Threw each about 10 times and the DX still gave me the best flight for that max distance straight shot. Everything else either turned too much (Tern, beat in Beast, D4), faded too much (beat up D2, beat up Wraith), or simply didn't fly as far (fresh Beast, beat up Crank).

I'm not sure I've heard of anyone cycling DX Destroyers, but I think I could be very happy keeping a cycle of 3 in my bag and calling it ballgame for BH distance drivers.

Excellent to hear! I recently purchased a pair of the ricky mechanical raptor star destroyers, one is quite light and really beat in, I wanna say 158-161g? it flies sort of like my Hades, lots of turn, but a bit of fade at the end after it runs out of steam. The other is a bit newer and 168g, it flies straight with a stable finish, but shows some turn in headwinds, I wouldn't call this an overstable disc by any means. I've also been messing with a 168g star wraith I picked up, seems like it just overlaps into the middle of the two destroyers. I've got a pile of 12 speed discs I've never thrown courtesy of mystery boxes, I need to set aside some time to go throw them all and see if it makes sense to put a couple in the bag or keep them on the shelf.
Jury is still out on how useful they are for me, I'm not as comfortable with them as I am my 7-8 speed fairway stuff so unless the hole is really out of my reach I doubt I'll be reaching for them too much during tournament play yet, rather throw the placement shot with the fairway and take the easy par.

Yeah, I've found that I can pretty much throw my Teebirds as far as my distance drivers. And when I miss, it isn't as punishing.

However, I play a lot of low ceiling stuff where the ground play is really important. I might be trying to land between 2 trees and I can land a Teebird and Destroyer in the exact same spot, but the Teebird leaves me under the trees and I can skip the Destroyer 20 or 30 feet to the left and have a clear 2nd shot.

Got my Z Heat back after almost a year. It is a lot uglier, but still flies the same. I've tried all kinds of 9 speeds and this is the only one that consistently slots between my DX Teebirds that I love so much and my distance drivers.

So I upgraded bags and I've also gone on a losing spree.

Now I have 19 slots...

Putt & Approach
- (3) DX Classic Aviars - putting only
- Classic Blend Judge
- Fly Dye Zone - hyzer approaches, forehands
- base Jokeri - I prefer this for flex backhands
- Z Sol - I basically use it as an understable mid

Midrange
- 172g DX Roc - bit of turn, straight finish
- 180g DX Roc - straight to fade
- Z Wasp - hyzers and occasional forehands

Fairways
- 167g DX Teebird
- 175g DX Teebird
- Prodigy F2
- Westside Discs Hatchet
- Prodigy H1 - forehands and utility disc

Distance Drivers
- 155g Opto Ballista - very flippy
- 167g DX Wraith - straight to fade
- Pro Beast - a touch shorter and more reliable than the Wraith
- Prodigy D2 - stable to overstable

Since my last update, I've lost 4 of the previously listed discs, really taken a liking to wooded golf, and now I'm going to play a few rounds in the Midwest next week.

Putt & Approach
- (3) DX Classic Aviars - putting only, one fresh one for wind
- Zero Medium Pure - straight shots, gentle hyzers and turnovers
- Z Sol - I basically use it as an understable mid, scramble disc

Midrange
- Elite X Stratus - hzyerflips in the woods, right finishes in the open

Fairways
- Ace Race Sting - hyzerflip in the woods, right finishes in the open
- 167g DX Teebird
- Prodigy F2
- Westside Discs Hatchet
- Champion Valkryie - mostly forehands
- DX Valkryie - hyzerflip lazer beams
- Prodigy H1 - forehands and skip shots

Distance Drivers
- 167g DX Wraith - straight to fade
- Lucid Raider - forehands, occasional backhand in headwinds

I probably need more stability in my bag.

Wooded golf is the way to go, and have fun on your road trip. It can be fascinating to see how disc golf courses vary across different landscapes.

Just throwing a thought out there. Do you every try to see how few discs you can carry and still play a good round? I ask for two reasons:

1. For me, the fewer discs I carry the better I play. It seems easier for me to shape lines when I throw the same discs over and over. Just recently I played a tough wooded course with no drivers and one mid that I was testing (Hex) and scored better than I usually do with my full bag. :confused:

2. Some of your disc pairings would be either-or for me. Valkyrie or Hatchet, but not both. Roc or Wasp, but not both. Zone or Jokeri, but not both.

Don't take this the wrong way - most folks carry more discs than I do, and lots of them are way better than me. Not sure if that is correlation or causation. ;)

But it might be an interesting experiment.

Wooded golf is the way to go, and have fun on your road trip. It can be fascinating to see how disc golf courses vary across different landscapes.

Just throwing a thought out there. Do you every try to see how few discs you can carry and still play a good round? I ask for two reasons:

1. For me, the fewer discs I carry the better I play. It seems easier for me to shape lines when I throw the same discs over and over. Just recently I played a tough wooded course with no drivers and one mid that I was testing (Hex) and scored better than I usually do with my full bag. :confused:

2. Some of your disc pairings would be either-or for me. Valkyrie or Hatchet, but not both. Roc or Wasp, but not both. Zone or Jokeri, but not both.

Don't take this the wrong way - most folks carry more discs than I do, and lots of them are way better than me. Not sure if that is correlation or causation. ;)

But it might be an interesting experiment.

I carried 12 or less discs for the first 4 or so years that I played and just recently went to carrying a full backpack, so I'm just having fun getting to throw a ton of discs at a given shot, compare discs that I couldn't compare before, and so forth.

I actually seemed to have improved a couple of strokes since getting the bigger bag, too. I could go down to 8 or so discs and shoot that same score, but I attribute the improvement to getting more out of my rounds by carrying a bunch of molds.

Stilll pretty heavy on woods golf when I can get out now...

Putt & Approach
- (3) DX Classic Aviars - putting only, one fresh one for wind
- Zero Medium Pure - straight shots, gentle hyzers and turnovers
- Z Sol - I basically use it as an understable mid, scramble disc

Midrange
- Elite X Stratus - hzyerflips in the woods, right finishes in the open
- 172g DX Roc - straight with a subtle late turn

Fairways
- Ace Race Sting - hyzerflip in the woods, right finishes in the open
- 167g DX Teebird
- Prodigy F2
- Westside Discs Hatchet
- Champion Valkryie - mostly forehands
- Champion Firebird - throw around stuff

Distance Drivers
- Lucid Raider - forehands, occasional backhand in headwinds

Played 18 today on a heavily wooded course. Got my PB. Drove with the Stratus, 172g Roc, Sting, Teebird, and Hatchet. Scrambled with the Pure, Jokeri, and Firebird. Putted. Didn't touch anything else other than a few experimental 2nd shots.

I've been playing with my Slinger bag lately, since I don't need as much food or drink now that it is cooler. I lost my Z Wasp, which was a staple. This is what I've carried the last few days and really enjoyed...

Putters
- (2) DX Classic Aviars - putting only
- Zero Medium Pure - don't love it, miss my really beat in Classic Blend Judge that I lost in the summer
- Fly Dye Zone

Mids
- Z Sol - I'm throwing this a lot lately. If I must hit a gap, this is the disc that I grab.
- DX Roc - my straightest Roc

Fairways
- Prodigy F2 - forehands, reliable fade when throw RHBH, I like to take a little off and treat it like an overstable mid
- Westside Discs VIP Hatchet - I can throw this within a few feet of my distance drivers, but I prefer to take a little off for straight to fade shots. I throw this a lot.
- Champion Firebird

Distance Drivers
- Opto Air Ballista - flippy, my longest driver
- DX Wraith - fresh, I don't throw this in the woods to keep it fresh. Stable for me.
- Lucid Raider - distance forehands and overstable backhand

Thought I'd revisit this, as I'm starting my tournament life next month...

Putters
- (3) Classic Aviars - putting only. The third basically makes it easier to utilize my putter pocket.
- PA4. Got this from the Chris Dickerson stash. Originally put it on my bag because it was cool, but I actually love it.
- Prime Deputy. Paige Pierce stamp, so it is pretty beat in.
- Fly Dye Zone.
- Basic Jokeri.

Mids
- (2) Z Sol. I have a First Run that is probably my most thrown disc in the woods and a Page Pierce that is less beat in/more stable. It comes out a bit at the finish.
- DX Roc. Favorite Roc. Straight to fade. Reliable on hzyer.

Fairways
- Champion Firebird.
- Westside VIP Hatchet. Workhorse disc.
- DX Teebird
- Prodigy F2.

Drivers
- Opto Air Ballista. Max distance, sensitive to wind.
- DX Wraith. More wind resistant than the Ballista.
- Westside Discs VIP Fortress. A little more workable than the Firebird. Also a backup to that disc.

I got 2 more slots, probably for backups. I leaned pretty heavily on my Z Wasp before I lost it, but honestly, I think not having it has helped me. Sometimes I'd struggle with choosing between the Roc and the Wasp. Now, I'm choosing between the F2 and the Roc and the choice is a lot more obvious.

Changed it around for my 1st tourney. Also took a couple discs out to fit more gear for bad weather.

Putters
- (2) Classic Aviars - putting only.
- PA4. Got this from the Chris Dickerson stash. Originally put it on my bag because it was cool, but I actually love it. Straight approach shots
- Fly Dye Zone.
- Basic Jokeri. Straight forehands, flex shots that the Zone comes out of too quickly.

Mids
- Z Sol. Most thrown disc. Favorite gap hitter, center of fairway disc. Took out the backup PP run.
- Elite X Stratus. Didn't use it in the tourney, but used it in practice. Finishes right harder than the Sol.
- KC Pro Roc. Lost my favorite Roc. This one is a bit more stable and doesn't really flip up.

Fairways
- Champion Firebird.
- DX Teebird
- Prodigy F2.

Drivers
- DX Wraith. More wind resistant than the Ballista.
- DX Destroyer. Brand new. Reliable fade.
- Champion Wraith. 160g. Longest forehand disc. Reliable fade backhand.
- Westside Discs VIP Fortress. A little more workable than the Firebird. Also a backup to that disc.

Got another tourney at our most wooded course this weekend. Want to make some changes with my mids and putters, but I'm not sure what.

Personally at a wooded course unless it's got some pretty huge fairways I would probably find myself not touching the majority of the drivers, which would leave me some more spots for varying stabilities of mids. Do I need a buzzz I'm already bagging a sol/roc? no, but it flies just differently enough for me to put one in the bag, same with something inbetween the sol/stratus, my choice would be a Kyle Klein Origin, but there's probably at least a dozen discs that fit that slot also.

Personally at a wooded course unless it's got some pretty huge fairways I would probably find myself not touching the majority of the drivers, which would leave me some more spots for varying stabilities of mids. Do I need a buzzz I'm already bagging a sol/roc? no, but it flies just differently enough for me to put one in the bag, same with something inbetween the sol/stratus, my choice would be a Kyle Klein Origin, but there's probably at least a dozen discs that fit that slot also.

I thought about that.

I use the Fortress a lot on this course. I like the Champ Wraith for several low ceiling forehands where I'm just chipping around things, but can't miss early (which eliminates the Firebird or Fortress). I like the Ballista for a single shot - massive uphill shot where the open line is a big RHBH hyzer around the trouble that everyone tries to thread the needle. Then there are 2 bomber holes where I have to land in specific areas, but the distance from a driver might be worth a stroke. Playing once more, so I'm going to see how much it hurts me to throw my Hatchet.

I definitely need another Roc that flips up.

I've changed this up quite a bit.

Putters
- (2) Classic Aviars - putting only.
- Zero Medium Pure
- Fly Dye Zone.

Pulled the Dickerson PA4 because I found myself worrying about losing it. Pulled the Jokeri as I lost confidence in it.

Mids
- First Run Z Sol. Most thrown disc. Favorite gap hitter, center of fairway disc.
- Paige Pierce Z Sol. Just a bit less understable than the first run. Has a bit of finish at the end.
- Elite X Stratus. Finishes hard right than the Sol, a bit longer.
- DX Roc. Straight to fade, but I haven't thrown this one in at least my last half dozen rounds
- F2 Champ Roc3. Leaning on this a lot, forehand and backhand.
- 2021 Tour Series Henna Blomroos Roc3. Overstable compared to the Champ.

Pulled the KC Pro Roc. Good disc, just not the best disc for any specific shot.

Fairways
- Champion Firebird.
- First Run Pro Line DGA Vortex
- Prodigy F2.
- Champ Valkryie. My longest forehand disc, finishes left.

Pulled the DX Teebird. Wasn't throwing it in the woods.

Drivers
- DX Wraith. More wind resistant than the Ballista. Different disc, same slot.
- MVP Fission Wave.
- Champion Wraith. 160g. Longest forehand disc. Reliable fade backhand.

Lost the DX Wraith, put a different one in the bag. Pulled the DX Destroyer, just wasn't throwing it. Pulled the Fortress. I kept throwing it past my gap.

So basically changed up about half my bag.

There are about 6 of these discs that I'm not really grabbing and I don't have enough stability for wind, so I probably need to swap a few more slots.

These are kind of fun to update, even if it is mostly a journal for personal reference...

Had a league round about a month ago where I shot my rating, but was disappointed in my round. Figured out that I'm trying to throw too hard and throwing way too many in the ground. So I've changed my gameplay quite a bit. Bolding the discs that I really lean on...

Putters
- (2) Classic Aviars - swapped to a new pair. Previous pair had gotten beaten up to the point that it was getting difficult to find spots where they were comfortable in the hand.
- Zero Medium Pure - don't use it much at all.
- Discmania D-line P2 - original, not a new one. Straight to fade backhand approach.
- Fly Dye Zone - I've kind of lost confidence in this one. It either dumps immediately or it doesn't come back enough.

Mids
- First Run Z Sol - Most thrown disc. Favorite gap hitter, center of fairway disc.
- Elite X Stratus. - Throwing this disc more and more.
- DX Roc. Straight to fade, going back to this more lately
- F2 Champ Roc3. A bit unreliable for me.
- 2021 Tour Series Henna Blomroos Roc3. I'm throwing this a lot. Only problem is that it is clear and I worry that I'll lose it.

Pulled the second Sol. Just wasn't throwing it.

Fairways
- Champion Firebird.
- Westside VIP Hatchet. - throw this a lot off the tee.
- First Run Pro Line DGA Vortex - probably throwing this disc more than anything right now.
- DX Teebird. Back in my bag. Kind of a backup for the aforementioned discs and a little better grip for sloppy rounds.

Drivers
- Opto Air Ballista. Max distance, sensitive to wind. Don't throw it a ton, but nice to have.
- MVP Fission Wave - I grab this when I need a straight to fade drive.
- Champion Wraith. 160g. Longest forehand disc.
- Westside VIP Fortress. Another forehand regular.

That leaves 1 more slot that I have no idea what to carry. Lately, I've bounced between an FX3 and an F2. I think the F2 fits my game a bit better.

Played another league round, a tough tourney, and a lot of practice rounds.

Putters
- (2) Classic Aviars - got a pair of white with a blue stamp. Love 'em.
- Zero Medium Pure - using it more lately.
- Opto Pure - P2 goes out, this goes in. Not totally in love with this one and I late release it a lot on backhand, but committed to make it work. Surprisely, I really like to forehand it.
- Fly Dye Zone - I've barely touched this lately

Mids
- First Run Z Sol - Throwing the this less.
- Elite X Stratus. - This has taken about 90% of the Sol's shots.
- DX Roc - Straight to fade, going back to this more lately
- F2 Champ Roc3 - I've been meshing with this lately. Great for forehand woods lines.
- 2021 Tour Series Henna Blomroos Roc3 - I'm throwing this a lot. Only problem is that it is clear and I worry that I'll lose it.

Fairways
- Champion Firebird
- Westside VIP Hatchet - throw this a lot off the tee.
- First Run Pro Line DGA Vortex - still love this disc.
- DX Teebird. Back in my bag. Kind of a backup for the aforementioned discs and a little better grip for sloppy rounds.
- Westside VIP Ice Bear - Love it for forehands. Reliable backhand finish. Fortress went out of the bag for this
- Prodigy F2 - Mostly a scramble disc. I can step out and throw a hard forehand with lots of anny and it is stable and fast enough to stay in the air, but will go around things and pan left.

Drivers
- Opto Air Ballista. Max distance, sensitive to wind. Don't throw it a ton, but nice to have.
- MVP Fission Wave - I grab this when I need a straight to fade drive.
- Champion Wraith. 160g. - don't think I've touched this the last 5-10 rounds. The Bear and Firebird have pretty exclusively handled my forehand duties off the tee.

Pretty locked in on this bag for now. Played a Friday flex start and Sat/Sun tourney.

I recently pulled the Zone from the bag and replaced it with a VIP Harp. I was early releasing the Zone too frequently. The Harp comes out of my hand more consistently.

And then I pulled the Wraith out of my bag and added a Roc for Sunday.

Won some merch, so now I have a few discs that I want to try out and see if they slot somewhere (Passion, Thrasher, Raptor, Felon, Roadrunner, and more Rocs).

Putters
- Zero Medium Pure - not using this much right now.
- Opto Pure - love this disc.
- VIP Harp - this disc suits me so much better than the Zone I used to bag.

Mids
- First Run Z Sol
- Elite X Stratus. - workhorse in the woods.
- DX Roc - Straight, no finish.
- DX Roc - Straight to fade.
- F2 Champ Roc3
- 2021 Tour Series Henna Blomroos Roc3 - using this a lot more.

Fairways
- Champion Firebird
- Westside VIP Hatchet - using this less now that it is windy.
- First Run Pro Line DGA Vortex - using this a lot less now.
- Infinite Disc Sphinx Metal Flake I-Blend - this disc is way more stable than the numbers bear out.
- Westside VIP Ice Bear - Love it for forehands. Reliable backhand finish. Fortress went out of the bag for this
- Prodigy F2 - Mostly a scramble disc.

Drivers
- MVP Fission Wave - Leaning on this heavily these days.

Putters
- Zero Medium Pure - not using this much right now.
- Opto Pure - love this disc.
- VIP Harp - this disc suits me so much better than the Zone I used to bag.

Mids
- First Run Z Sol
- Elite X Stratus. - workhorse in the woods.
- DX Roc - Straight to fade.
- 2021 Tour Series Henna Blomroos Roc3
- Fusion-X Verdict.
- Champion Caiman

Fairways
- Champion Firebird
- 22 Sexton Firebird
- Westside VIP Hatchet - pulled my old one out and added a fresh IDCG stamped one
- First Run Pro Line DGA Vortex
- Infinite Disc Sphinx Metal Flake I-Blend - this disc is way more stable than the numbers bear out.
- Prodigy F2 - Mostly a scramble disc.

Drivers
- MVP Fission Wave - Leaning on this heavily these days.

Loving the Sexton Firebird and the Verdict adds. Tried to add a Mako3, but couldn't figure out where to use it.

Latest posts