• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Avoid driver stalling

Boomerang

I am a ten year old guy who just had started with disc golf and I have got an Yikun VIEW as my driver. So, the problem is: Everytime I throw my driver, it will just go 5-6 m up into the air and then stall and fall down at around 35 m. I have tried to be more careful at throwing it parallell to the ground, but then it will just keep at chest height and only fly 20ish meters. Maybe lighter disc as that one weights 180ish grams?

I am a ten year old guy who just had started with disc golf and I have got an Yikun VIEW as my driver. So, the problem is: Everytime I throw my driver, it will just go 5-6 m up into the air and then stall and fall down at around 35 m. I have tried to be more careful at throwing it parallell to the ground, but then it will just keep at chest height and only fly 20ish meters. Maybe lighter disc as that one weights 180ish grams?

Im no pro or anything, but I would recommend something lighter or try to throw the disc more flat to avoid pitching the disc up twards the air. I had the same problem with my backhand when I started.

Boomerang: the flight pattern you describe is very common for beginners, and we refer to as the "newb hyzer."

Even thought the View is considered a beginner friendly driver, I suspect both of the following are true in your case:
1) You're not getting the disc "up to speed," meaning that you're not throwing the disc fast enough to get anything that looks like the flight path it is designed for.

2) Try as you might, you're probably not throwing it very flat, and probably throwing lifting your arm up at toward the end of your throwing motion, just before releasing the disc. A clean, flat release simply comes with time and practice.

The "obvious" solution to most beginners is to "throw it harder," but that typically produces more form flaws (grip lock and/or Off Axis Torque)... which can create other undesirable results.

Generally, beginners get better results with fairly neutral midrange molds (like the Shark, Buzzz, Claymore, Warship).
They're designed to be thrown at lower speeds than drivers, and are typically more forgiving of form flaws than drivers as well.

You're also correct in that lighter weight discs might help. All things being equal, it takes less energy to get a lighter disc up to it's intended speed than it does to get a heavier disc up to speed.

Who do you go to the course with? Before going out and buying any new discs, see if they, some friends, (or maybe even some approachable looking people at the course) would be willing to let you take a couple of throws with neutral midrange... just to see how it works for you - and see if that gets you better results.

Boomerang: the flight pattern you describe is very common for beginners, and we refer to as the "newb hyzer."

Even thought the View is considered a beginner friendly driver, I suspect both of the following are true in your case:
1) You're not getting the disc "up to speed," meaning that you're not throwing the disc fast enough to get anything that looks like the flight path it is designed for.

2) Try as you might, you're probably not throwing it very flat, and probably throwing lifting your arm up at toward the end of your throwing motion, just before releasing the disc. A clean, flat release simply comes with time and practice.

The "obvious" solution to most beginners is to "throw it harder," but that typically produces more form flaws (grip lock and/or Off Axis Torque)... which can create other undesirable results.

Generally, beginners get better results with fairly neutral midrange molds (like the Shark, Buzzz, Claymore, Warship).
They're designed to be thrown at lower speeds than drivers, and are typically more forgiving of form flaws than drivers as well.

You're also correct in that lighter weight discs might help. All things being equal, it takes less energy to get a lighter disc up to it's intended speed than it does to get a heavier disc up to speed.

Who do you go to the course with? Before going out and buying any new discs, see if they, some friends, (or maybe even some approachable looking people at the course) would be willing to let you take a couple of throws with neutral midrange... just to see how it works for you - and see if that gets you better results.

Actually, I am now pretty sure that the issue actually is that I'm throwing it too slowly, as when I was comparing the driver to the mako3, I noticed that, when I was throwing them at the same speed, the mako3 flew arrow-straight and it's speed 5 and the driver is speed 7, so probably it's that.
And also: grip-locking is a problem for me when I throw it too hard.

And for anyone at Yikun who might see this: WRITE THE WEIGHTS OF THE DISCS ON THE PACKS!

And for Tokmanni: DON'T ONLY SELL ONE TYPE OF DISCS!

Last edited:

Just want to make sure you saw that he's 10 years old.

Lighter weight discs for sure, 130's-140' grams. Neutral to start, putters and mids. Get your grip right and learn to throw nose down. You're lucky to have found this great sport at such a young age, good luck and welcome from WI.

Just want to make sure you saw that he's 10 years old.
I did. I also was wondering how he can find out of there's an Innova Educational Disc Golf Experience (EDGE) program in his area. Their website only seems to provide info on how to start a program and order gear, but doesn't really tell you how to find a program in your area. :\

Boomerang: Where I live, there's an Under Aged Drivers Youth League to help kids get into the game. People from our club are always donating lightweight discs to the guy who runs it.

Maybe you can find out if there's a youth league where you live.

Last edited:
I would recommend a lighter weight shark. it's a great disc and won't be nearly as frustrating. good luck buddy!

I did. I also was wondering how he can find out of there's an Innova Educational Disc Golf Experience (EDGE) program in his area. Their website only seems to provide info on how to start a program and order gear, but doesn't really tell you how to find a program in your area. :\

Boomerang: Where I live, there's an Under Aged Drivers Youth League to help kids get into the game. People from our club are always donating lightweight discs to the guy who runs it.

Maybe you can find out if there's a youth league where you live.

I'm guessing he's from Australia and I have to say he's amazingly articulate for his age. He could be the next Simon! And by the way, Simon started very young with only two discs -- an Aviar putter and a Roc mid.

Yes, he certainly put that together better than most his age. I didn't really read much into his screen name and expressing distance in meters, but you might be right about him being Down Under.

He could also be from Canada or the UK which would explain why he hasn't responded.

When I was new, I found some 130's weight DX Skeeters at Clearwater and bought 4 or 5 of them. Gave them to female friends that were joining us guys in playing. Often worked pretty good for them. I see that Gotta Go Gotta Throw has some. I had also gotten several 150g DX Sharks. I still have a couple...they work surprisingly well for longer range putts, so they can be useful as you get older.

I have considered buying a 150g cheetah, but Finnish stores only sell champion discs, but I can look in some shops once I get back from the holidays. And the solution to the problem was: I tried too hard to throw flat and therefore I threw the disc downwards! When throwing flat the disc will fly nicely at around 3 m. And what comes to meters: you forgot Europe.

If you are really 10 years old, you are a genius. Either that or our educational system here in Murica really IS that bad. Wow.

heh...

I picked up that he was from Finland or similar... DG is pretty popular in that area... and then of course the meters thing... which we should all be doing but whatever... I like my pounds and inches too much :rolleyes:

anywhoo... yeah, I'll echo the disc down... watch the vids in the Techniques forum
This is a stickied thread that has a lot of the best stuff https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

go out to a field and just practice, practice, practice... you'll clean up that form in no time

FWIW, age and size have very little to do with throwing a disc well (not that anyone said it was... just putting it out there)... it's really all about a clean form
I recommend the Beto vid embedded below

The real insult to our educational system is that Boom is probably from Finland (Tokmanni is a chain store there) and is writing in his second language.

Quiet you... the Fins are watching us...

anyway... Europeans are used to being nearby a different country with a different language... the skill of speaking more than one language is more practical there... The US shares two borders... one with an English/French speaking nation and another with a Spanish speaking nation... many Americans are quite sheltered from those borders however... hence, a very low appreciation for speaking multiple languages...