• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Axiom Alias

To me the Alias is a better, if shorter Buzzz or a longer Pure. I took both the Buzz and the Pure out of my bag. The Alias did both of their jobs.

See the flight chart.
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&id=LR0125005169221501250042380596O
I just got mine today, and my first thought after a few throws was pretty much this. Longer Pure for sure. Leaves with a bit of a problem though. My Tangent is very stable and actually has some fade. I may need to seek out a beat Neutron Tangent to go with.

Well, I lost my Axis today right at dusk into the woods. It was a dark purple proton and the glow tape wasn't charged on it and it was getting towards my daughter's bedtime. So, I need a replacement, and I was thinking of the Alias instead of the Axis this time around. I have 2 questions for those of you who have thrown both.

I keep hearing the Alias has more HSS and a touch more fade at the end, but according to inbounds flight matrix, the Alias, while a bit more stable on the HSS, has less fade at the end than the Axis. Is this accurate, and the illusion of more fade is because it doesn't actually turn off of center as much as the Axis does in its initial flight, or is it just a bit beefier than inbounds numbers give it?

Also, how wind resistant is it compared to the Axis? One of the problems I had with the Axis is, I live in Texas, and it can be pretty windy. I throw my Verdict into a headwind most of the time, but sometimes it just has more fade then I'm looking for at the end. My terrible form aside, will the Alias hold up better for me than the Axis in wind?

you should 10000% buy another axis. i dropped axes for awhile. then introduced aliases, and was generally disappointed. US to OS id say it goes: tangent, axis, alias, vector, tensor, however things get a little screwy because the axis and vector are different speeds than the others.

if you only have one midrange id say maybe go alias, but the axis is super unique, and i dont know of a replacement.

Zendragon, you've got it right. Axis is a little longer and a hair more understable, while the Alias is a bit shorter and a little beefier.

The alias should do a little better in the wind, but either will need good form to hold a hyzer in a stiff headwind.

IMO the advantages of the Alias are a flatter shape that is more comfortable (Especially FH), it holds up to wind better, and it does a better job at approach shots because its easier to range.

The Axis has a bit more glide and is a little more workable. It's nice if you enjoy throwing mids off the tee like I do, because it gets very nice distance.

I've been throwing the Alias since they came out and recently swapped out my Alias / Tangent combo for an Axis / beat Axis combo just to compare how they work for me. Personally I could go with either mold and be happy, its just a matter of what you're looking for in your straight flying mid. Want a bit more predictability, wind resistance and a flat top? Alias. Want more glide, a more neutral and workable flight, and don't mind a touch of mild dome? Axis.

If you're looking for an Axis that has a bit stiffer upper lip in the breeze, try grabbing a max wt. Eclipse.

I may be nuts, but I've had 3 Es in the high 170's, and now I've got an ice blue 180, and it's pretty beefy for an Axis. I can really, really mash on it. Not consistently yet, but I have some throws to 300 ft with it, with barely any turn, if any.

Powered down/standstill (and missed throws), it slowly bleeds out to the left (rhbh). I do expect it to ease up/straighten out/develop a bit more drift as it beats up, as the ones I've lost eventually got, but I'm bagging it with a beat to crap 176 N, which is awesome for powered down Axis shots, plus on a full rip it has a mellow, late turn.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the Alias. I want a bit more stability than the Axis was giving me, and I tend to like flatter discs anyway. I will miss the Axis from the tee. It was my longest mid for sure to drive with, but I have some slower fairways, like my Stalker, that can probably fill that void if I can't get the distance I need out of the Alias.

I think you will be happy with that choice. I am putting a vector back in the bag over an alias or axis and pair it with a tangent. For a long time I used the tangent as my only mid and cycled in all the others. The beaded designs and faster profiles are really the biggest differences. The stalker is like a vector/axis hybrid really as far as flight goes so you are pretty spot on there with the distance gap from alias. I used a stalker for a long time as a long mid/fairway when bagged the fuse/core.

The Stalker is probably my most versatile disc in my bag. I use it on one disc rounds to beat my friends who throw Rocs or Buzzzes. On the longer holes I always gain strokes on them and I can still power it down nicely for good placement on shorter holes. I think the Alias will pair with it and my Verdict pretty well for my mid/fairway game.

I played a few rounds the other day with just a 176 P Crave, 175 P Alias, and 170 P Envy. I found the alias to be shorter than a buzzz on the same throw. I did like how it didn't seem to have a traditional fade, it more or less just dumped out of the sky when it didn't feel like flying any more(which I feel is perfect for going for an ace without having to worry about being far if you miss :)). One thing I really liked was when I threw it on an anny(where I normally throw a beat esp buzzz) when I went too high I said crap(because my buzzz would flex out too early), but the alias held almost all the way to the pin. :thmbup:

Does anyone else find the Alias to fly like a Cro with more glide? The Cro was my only mid until I threw the Axis and fell for its greater distance. Now that I have steeled on the Alias, I have regained confidence in my mid game.

Are many of you bagging both an Alias and Tangent?

It's funny you say cro, I was just saying it reminded me of my champ spiders(maybe more like what I wanted them to fly like(maybe I should throw my spiders again, it's been a while lol):eek:). :\

I bagged them both for a little while but way too much overlap for my style of play and how I like to work my tangents. I was expecting a little more vector-ish flight out of the alias but It was pretty much a slower axis. If the tangent was actually understable I could see bagging the alias but it was too similar to really justify carrying it for me.

Its a better single midrange mold than a combo pair for sure though just like the axis can be and I suppose really depends on your midrange game.

Its been a very long time since throwing a cro/spider kind of multipurpose disc but the alias for sure has that feel to it just a bit faster IMO and less glide happy.

I finally got a chance to play with my new Alias today. It's a 171 Proton. So far I love it. It isn't as far as my lost Axis it replaced, but it's more controllable to me. I feel like it holds tighter lines that I put it on. I had a couple of nice runs at the basket off the tee on some shorter holes, but I found it to be just as susceptible to random limbs sticking out as my Axis was, so no aces today. I really like how it just finishes straight though when it dies out at the end. The Axis wasn't always that predictable for me, it had both more turn and more fade unless I got just the right amount of hyzer on it.

I have to disagree on the cro comparison. My wife bags 2 cros and both have quite a bit more fade and glide than the Alias.

I'd say the cro is a lot like a buzz (at least in star) and thus yah, prolly a bit faster than an alias.

Man I love my Alias and my Tangent, both Neutron. They are so similar in feel and flight for me I can't decide on which one to carry full time. So I have been carrying them both and letting them take turns. Not sure how I'm ever gonna part with either one, but I just don't see a need for both in one bag:(

Man I love my Alias and my Tangent, both Neutron. They are so similar in feel and flight for me I can't decide on which one to carry full time. So I have been carrying them both and letting them take turns. Not sure how I'm ever gonna part with either one, but I just don't see a need for both in one bag:(

headwinds, longer low line shots, steep hyzer flips are the biggest differences in how the 2 preform, depending on how far you max out throwing. I felt the same way tho--decided to keep the tangent but add in something with little LSS and slower than my craves.

I really really like my alias but I also had to take it out because of overlap. I think it's great as a single do everything disc but I found that I can cover what I could use an alias for with either my tangent or envy. I switched out the alias with a truth since it's longer and a little more stable and it seems to be working out ok.

I do prefer the feel of the alias though, maybe I should try to abuse it and have it take the tangents spot. Has anyone beat one in to truly under stable?

Man I love my Alias and my Tangent. They are so similar in feel and flight for me I can't decide on which one to carry full time. So I have been carrying them both and letting them take turns. Not sure how I'm ever gonna part with either one, but I just don't see a need for both in one bag:(

I have the same issue, plus the Pure, which is not an easy disc to put down. As of right now, Alias is losing the battle. Of course, it will have the Pure spot in my all MVP bag.