• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back Pain

juju

Double Eagle Member
I tweaked my back recently and now have some back pain in the morning when bending down or twisting and turning. It is in the center of my mid to lower back and can be really sharp when bending the wrong way. A little stretching and loosening helps a little bit, but I still have some minor pain randomly throughout the day.

Not sure I want to see a chiropractor since they're not a real doctor. Any advice? Anti-inflamatories, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation), etc?

I tweaked my back recently and now have some back pain in the morning when bending down or twisting and turning. It is in the center of my mid to lower back and can be really sharp when bending the wrong way. A little stretching and loosening helps a little bit, but I still have some minor pain randomly throughout the day.

Not sure I want to see a chiropractor since they're not a real doctor. Any advice? Anti-inflamatories, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation), etc?

See a doctor if it is affecting normal abilities

I have used deep tissue massage to resolve serious muscle issues in my back. I used to carry a messenger style bag and over time it ended up pulling my upper back completely out of alignment. I couldn't really do anything I was so uncomfortable. Once I started massage therapy and switched to a back pack I got better pretty fast and the issue hasn't returned. Deep tissue massage is not a pleasant experience but it worked. Also not a cheap therapy if you have no coverage for it. 6-8 sessions fixed me up though

Where both straps people. Your back will thank you.

I had back surgery in high school, so I deal with back pain daily. Never been to a chiropractor or had a massage because I don't want them doing more harm than good, but for you it might help.

For me, it's daily stretching, hot showers, and iceing/aleve when I'm hurting enough to warrant it. If I over exert myself, I take a hot shower, take an aleve, then do 20 minute cycles of ice packs until bed.

1. Relax and rest for now until it feels good again, that means no disc golfing or other activities that may aggravate your back. Could take a few weeks or more.

2. Meds only mask the pain/condition they do not fix it, I recommend staying away if not needed.

3. Good chiropractic care has helped me more over the past 5 years than anything else including medications, epidural shots, etc......it has also kept me from getting lower back surgery.

If you have good ins. I would first go to chiro. He will take x- rays and get a basic idea how your spine is aligned. If he can do some adjusting to get itin line great. He will also do deep tissue massage and my even do some TENS stimulation.
If you start having any numbness,shooting pain in buttocks or down your leg, go see a Orthopedist. Do yourself a favor and don't go to a Nurologist. Nuro guys are good but they work on brains and nerves. ORTHO docs work on the bones. You could have any number of issues but I would be conservative first.
Your suggestion of RICE is good and also incorporate some NASIDS with food.
I' m not a Dr. but have had 17 ortho procedures with 3 spine jobs.

I

seriously, get a cart. my back hurt all the time, now it almost never does.

and i would stay away from a normal chiropractor. i used to train jiujitsu and we had an in house chiropractor, after numerous conversations with him i would never go to a standard chiro. his words "they don't fix anything, just ease the symptoms to keep you coming back." you will get far more out of a good deep tissue massage than an adjustment.
another good thing that you should make a daily routine is specific stretches. see link.
http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/stretching-back-pain-relief

Last edited:
I love my chiropractor, he's also a sports injury expert. So, basically he has working knowledge of the human body, I went to him when I sprained my ankle. He said nothing was broken, which was good. Then gave me advice on what to do to make it heal quicker. It's almost healed! (I shouldn't have played a week after going to him, but all the other advice worked lol)

1. Relax and rest for now until it feels good again, that means no disc golfing or other activities that may aggravate your back. Could take a few weeks or more.

2. Meds only mask the pain/condition they do not fix it, I recommend staying away if not needed.

3. Good chiropractic care has helped me more over the past 5 years than anything else including medications, epidural shots, etc......it has also kept me from getting lower back surgery.

I agree with 1 and 2, but being married to a physical therapist, I'd stay away from a chiropractor. I guess they just make it feel better instead of fixing it.

Acupuncture.

It's the real deal. I wasn't convinced at first but a friend had back problems and recommended it. I tried massages and other things first but nothing worked better than my first acupuncture session. I went back a few more times and haven't had an issues since. It even just helped me feel better over all and I always left in a better mood and feeling great. I am going back soon just because I like it.

See a doctor if it is affecting normal abilities

I have used deep tissue massage to resolve serious muscle issues in my back. I used to carry a messenger style bag and over time it ended up pulling my upper back completely out of alignment. I couldn't really do anything I was so uncomfortable. Once I started massage therapy and switched to a back pack I got better pretty fast and the issue hasn't returned. Deep tissue massage is not a pleasant experience but it worked. Also not a cheap therapy if you have no coverage for it. 6-8 sessions fixed me up though

Where both straps people. Your back will thank you.
I love deep tissue massage and my foam roller. PT's are covered on most insurance plans and do deep tissue work if that is what they recommend for treatment after examination, or they can re-adjust your spine, and more.

Sorry, I scream acupuncture from the rooftops when I hear about back pain. Thats how much I loved it. It was also covered in my insurance along with a chiro. 20 year visits combined between the 2.

I am surprised only one person has mentioned stretches. I tweak my back occasionally, and stretching definitely helps, especially what I call the donkey kick, where you get on your hands and knees and slowly extend you leg and then bring your knee up to your chest, about 10x with each leg. You can find lots of good back stretches on the interwebs.

I am surprised only one person has mentioned stretches. I tweak my back occasionally, and stretching definitely helps, especially what I call the donkey kick, where you get on your hands and knees and slowly extend you leg and then bring your knee up to your chest, about 10x with each leg. You can find lots of good back stretches on the interwebs.

A good stretching routine is invaluable. It get your muscles loose, warm, and prepared for physical activity. I run a lumber yard and spend the better part of fifty hours a week working outdoors doing very physical work. My hobbies are disc golf and backpacking so there are some weeks I walk over 100 miles and lift 100+ lbs on the reg. I'm approaching 40 and have had only minor tweaks and strains, and i believe my morning stretching routine is the reason.

Best advice is to go see a doctor.

That being said, how exactly did you injure yourself? What motion were you doing at the time? You mentioned that certain flexive and rotational moverments exacerbate the pain - in what capacity, and to what degree? Can you be more descriptive of the specific movements that increase your pain level, and what movements do you find relieve pain?

I personally wouldn't advocate the efficacy of chiropracting, however - some people swear by them. I think its a matter of opinion... If you believe that they give you a more positive mindset on pain management - then by all means take advantage of their practice.

Latest posts