• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back to square one

Riggs419

I have been a rec. Player 20 yrs. And recently have become a member to dgcr and reading alot and watching videos on how to get more distance and become a better player with intention to play competivly in the next season.

So, after recording myself and then rolling on the floor laughing at my form, I realized my form was Horrible, and all my distance 320-350 and an occasional lucky 375+ has come from purely strongarmming it. I also realize my form is bad due to using the wrong discs' and trying to make them work.

I have decided to no longer use any form of driver, mids and putters only and take the x-step out of the equation and relearn the right way, because when I try to change one thing muscle memory of 20yrs. Takes over and I continue with my old habits.

I guess I would like an opinion on weather or not I'm on the right track by starting back to the basics, and if anyone can give me pointers or tips.

Morning Riggs! Welcome to The Journey. I'm you 5 months ago; played for 5 years, and never could get past the 300' mark consistently. I was throwing all arm, with no concept of what my lower body was doing.

The best advice I can give you is to practice, film, start your own form critique thread, accept constructive feedback....rinse/repeat....a lot :) There really is no substitute for just simply putting in the work.

Additionally what I found helpful was following other members form threads where they too have spent countless hours working on there form. Here are a couple that really helped me

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122316

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126561

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124289

I have no business giving form advice at this point in my learning, but you would be wise to heed the words SideWinder, SlowPlastic, RandyC, Brad Walker...etc.

Enjoy the ride :thmbup:

Morning Riggs! Welcome to The Journey. I'm you 5 months ago; played for 5 years, and never could get past the 300' mark consistently. I was throwing all arm, with no concept of what my lower body was doing.

The best advice I can give you is to practice, film, start your own form critique thread, accept constructive feedback....rinse/repeat....a lot :) There really is no substitute for just simply putting in the work.

Additionally what I found helpful was following other members form threads where they too have spent countless hours working on there form. Here are a couple that really helped me

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122316

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126561

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124289

I have no business giving form advice at this point in my learning, but you would be wise to heed the words SideWinder, SlowPlastic, RandyC, Brad Walker...etc.

Enjoy the ride :thmbup:
Thanks for the encouraging words Jet its definitely frustrating because my mediocre game went to poop.

Into the tuck and and out to the arc with a correct grip and ejection is where to start.

And you really need to decide WHO you want to copy. Pick someone and NEVER GO EXPERIMENTING. Mixing grips and swings and releases from technique to technique is the kiss of death.... I do not care what anyone says.

You do not need an X step to throw at a very high level. And far.

I really think the Beato video is where to start. And many hours of throwing like he said.

I dig it. Hard to leave all the drivers out of the course bag though.

How about some dedicated smooth putter and mid field work. Relaxed, no rush. Mix it up with forehands. Just be clean and avoid the strong-arm. Listen to mellow music.

Thanks BW and Mark , I don't have any fairway drivers I only have high speed distance driver A.K.A. Boss, Vulcan and which I believe are way above my level @ this point so that's why I think I should stick with mids and putters plus I here alot of people playing whole rounds with suchlike. But maybe I'm wrong

Thanks BW and Mark , I don't have any fairway drivers I only have high speed distance driver A.K.A. Boss, Vulcan and which I believe are way above my level @ this point so that's why I think I should stick with mids and putters plus I here alot of people playing whole rounds with suchlike. But maybe I'm wrong

I ditched all my super fast overstable drivers. I had a stack of Bosses that went to the trade in.

Go get you a Legacy Rival and Legacy Patriot.

Putter
Mid
Rival (stable)
Patriot (less stable) (Or a Star Leopard-same thing)

That is really all you need.

Awesome I think I will order the rival&patriot. So now that I have an idea on what disc to start with , I guess the next thing is developing proper form so if I imitate the Beato video what should be my goal? I guessing lots of field work and recording myself a posting it to be critiqued.

Into the tuck and and out to the arc with a correct grip and ejection is where to start.

And you really need to decide WHO you want to copy. Pick someone and NEVER GO EXPERIMENTING. Mixing grips and swings and releases from technique to technique is the kiss of death.... I do not care what anyone says.

You do not need an X step to throw at a very high level. And far.

I really think the Beato video is where to start. And many hours of throwing like he said.
I agree with committing to someone in the beginning, someone with the same exact body type as you. But if something doesn't feel right, try another similar body type form.

IMO to get to the higher level you do need to experiment and find your own form. My form is a complete mash up of several players.

Definitely agree with the x-step not being required, usually hingers progress in the beginning.

I disagree with the Beato as the start. I actually recommend your Closed Shoulder Drill.

I talk about much of this in my PSA:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126516

I agree with committing to someone in the beginning, someone with the same exact body type as you. But if something doesn't feel right, try another similar body type form.

IMO to get to the higher level you do need to experiment and find your own form. My form is a complete mash up of several players.

Definitely agree with the x-step not being required, usually hingers progress in the beginning.

I disagree with the Beato as the start. I actually recommend your Closed Shoulder Drill.

I talk about much of this in my PSA:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126516

Thanks sw22 I'm assuming your talking about BW closed shoulder drill correct? I have read that thread and watched beato vids and the video for the closed shoulder drill. I guess my problem is watching and reading stuff and instead of going out and trying things that work in a field I try stuff out during casual rounds get frustrated and revert back to my old ways. To the field I go.

I got feed up with sucking & switched to a stand still/one step for every shot about a month ago. It has helped so much, disc golf is way more fun if you are in the fairway. It soooo much easier to work on form when you are not doing xstep. Ditch the high speed stuff & get a leopard or leopard3. Get a buzzz type mid of your choice. I would not do the beto drill (i think it promotes strong arming) i would try the closed should drill. Practice putting & collect the birdies as they come.

Filming yourself is key, but when I first started playing in the early 2000's that wasn't so easy. I actually would always have a disc in my hand around the house and just focus on form and also maybe try to watch myself in the mirror a bit. This, coupled with throwing every disc I owned back and forth on a golf fairway behind my house at least once a week, accelerated my form and distance potential rapidly.

Yeah lots of good advice. Film yourself, even if you aren't intending to post it just use your phone and do it when you're playing well and know what to look for. When you're having a bad day film yourself, see what's missing. With practice you can throw a few bad shots, film yourself, and fix it in a throw or two. This can save you from another 20+ shots to try figure it out blindly, or at worst a really frustrating round that you keep shanking all day.

Agree with the fairway drivers, those are good choices. Anything neutral in that speed 7ish range...Rival/Patriot are great, same with FD/TL/Leo or Leo3/beat up or DX Teebird, etc. Some speed 9 understable discs will reward with big distance but are still understable enough that you don't have to throw them crazy hard and they won't tolerate a terrible throw, like the Sidewinder or Roadrunner. Every disc golfer should enjoy throwing the Sidewinder even if they don't bag one.

You can definitely throw fairway drivers while learning, they'll still reward you with good distance and they'll also give you much better feedback on nose angles than mids and putters. In my experience it would hurt you to leave out fairway drivers compared to using them...it's not like you're going to go put a Firebird in the bag and use it for flex shots all day long.

Also definitely use standstill/one step shots, but if you are wanting to throw with an X-step then make sure you practice them somewhat regularly. If you can keep doing both and feel that an X-step gets you to the same feel as a standstill + momentum or extra load/backswing then you're set. If they feel like two completely different throws, then it will need a lot of work/time. That problem can come from either an underdeveloped standstill throw or a wild/unpracticed X-step throw.

I think in your situation there should be even more value than usual in throwing hammers and the like. You have thrown discs for 20 years, your whole body knows how to throw a disc. It will be hard to overcome that knowledge. But you probably haven't thrown a lot of hammers. So by doing that it should be easier to break your habits and lay the foundation for a new system.

Also definitely use standstill/one step shots

I'm having a little trouble with the standstill concept. For me a stand still throw is always more or less a one step throw, unless it's like a 100-130 feet approach. When you stand still, the weight is centered all the time and thats what held me back for quite a while.

I forgot about that one. :)

Forget the right pec drill, your closed shoulder snap drill has never seen anyone wrong, it's idiot proof. Right pec drill is full of stuff for people to get wrong, i have seen so many people lead down totally wrong routes through misunderstanding of this drill ( i was one! The idea of working from the hit back is a great idea though)

To Op, do the closed shoulder snap drill I can almost gurantee it will give you a different feeling from what you are currently doing and give you a solid foundation to build on.

Yeah lots of good advice. Film yourself, even if you aren't intending to post it just use your phone and do it when you're playing well and know what to look for. When you're having a bad day film yourself, see what's missing. With practice you can throw a few bad shots, film yourself, and fix it in a throw or two. This can save you from another 20+ shots to try figure it out blindly, or at worst a really frustrating round that you keep shanking all day.

Agree with the fairway drivers, those are good choices. Anything neutral in that speed 7ish range...Rival/Patriot are great, same with FD/TL/Leo or Leo3/beat up or DX Teebird, etc. Some speed 9 understable discs will reward with big distance but are still understable enough that you don't have to throw them crazy hard and they won't tolerate a terrible throw, like the Sidewinder or Roadrunner. Every disc golfer should enjoy throwing the Sidewinder even if they don't bag one.

You can definitely throw fairway drivers while learning, they'll still reward you with good distance and they'll also give you much better feedback on nose angles than mids and putters. In my experience it would hurt you to leave out fairway drivers compared to using them...it's not like you're going to go put a Firebird in the bag and use it for flex shots all day long.

Also definitely use standstill/one step shots, but if you are wanting to throw with an X-step then make sure you practice them somewhat regularly. If you can keep doing both and feel that an X-step gets you to the same feel as a standstill + momentum or extra load/backswing then you're set. If they feel like two completely different throws, then it will need a lot of work/time. That problem can come from either an underdeveloped standstill throw or a wild/unpracticed X-step throw.

Thanks SP I do plan on getting some field work in this week and will definitely be film its was film that made me realize how awful my form was but gave much explanation to my inconsistency.

I'm in the process of purchasing a rival&patriot and as far as 9 speed understable disc I have a valkyrie in my bag

Right now the standstill throw is awkward probably because I feel like everything's center of gravity need to work in a one step and as for my x-step it's not horrible but for some reason I alway no matter how hard I try I end up hugging myself persay, wrapping the disc around my body instead of a straight reach back . Lots of work to do , thank you everyone for the input, I will keep everyone posted on my progress .