• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand form critique [video]

theabacus

Birdie Member
Below are 4 videos, of a friend and I throwing discs. We started playing disc golf about four years ago. Gregg throws a Wraith (beat in) flat about 320 feet max. I throw a Teebird flat/small hyzer flip about 340 feet max. Both looking for consistency and longer distance. All critique and feedback is greatly appreciated.

My current bag is SSS magic, Pure (driving), Cryztal & Z Buzz, Teebirds, Saint (max D), Predator, Sidewinder (roller), and Roadrunner (long anhyzer).

Gregg throws Aviars, Roc, Eagle, Wraith (max D), Roadrunner (long anhyzer), and Boss (wind).

Gregg throwing a Wraith

Gregg throwing a Wraith

Jason throwing a Teebird

Jason throwing a Teebird

Looks like Gregg could use your help on footwork/hips. Jason could get the elbow further forward and keep more width between the upper arm and the chest, also maybe try closing your stance a little more.

Looks like Gregg could use your help on footwork/hips. Jason could get the elbow further forward and keep more width between the upper arm and the chest, also maybe try closing your stance a little more.

Thanks for the tips. Gregg has recently told me to lead more with my elbow, great to hear that confirmed.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand "...keep more width between the upper arm and chest...". Does that mean the disc should be further from my chest? Or higher on my chest?

get some more momentum moving forward, your walkup is very slow and it almost looks like your using all upper body to throw the disc, if you get a little hop in your step and accelerate your x step so that you finish out front more im sure you could get extra distance and whip in your throws just from that

ill attach a link to some throws that best illustrate my point
this is a video of one of my favortie disc golf professionals nikko locastro, he is very explosive and gets some serious distance

this is a video of him testing out some new discs for distance so he is really giving all he has

enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwEdnh7EBw

I would consider using less steps until you get a good momentum going with them, I worked backwards and added steps slowly. 2 -> 3 -> 4 - > and now 5.

I would consider using less steps until you get a good momentum going with them, I worked backwards and added steps slowly. 2 -> 3 -> 4 - > and now 5.

Great advice, I will have to try working more steps in incrementally!

Jason, seems like everything is a little low. Like your reaching back and through almost at your belly button. Its much more natural if you can keep your arm up higher closer to your shoulders. Watch Avery Jenkins video, his throwing arm is like shoulder level the whole way.

Different ways to throw well though but id suggest giving it a shot and see if you like the feel of throwing with your arm higher.

I throw Teebirds ~280' and PDs ~320'; play regularly about 10 years. I think my previous distance numbers were rather optimistic. My focus is to turn shoulders during reach back, bring disc close to body, time weight/hip shift with arm pull, and pivot on front foot. Form analysis would be greatly appreciated.

From previous form videos above, I believe I have increased the speed and reach back over the years; but you be the judge.

Last edited:
Where's the dog?!

Your elbow/arm looks a lot better. You both are folded over your front hip and going around it, instead of maintaining more upright posture and rotating through centered posted up on your front hip/front leg. See Power of Posture, Swivel Chair, Butt Wipe, and One Leg Drills.

You both start the x-step too backwards with the rear foot and body and lean/tip back over the rear leg too far. See Hershyzer part 2. Your rear foot should more lateral/sideways to the target than backward in order to maintain rear side upright posture inside your foot. You want to turn the front side of your body back later into the plant instead of turning your rear side body/early into the x-step. So feet move more sideways to turn your body from the ground. If your feet are turning with the body, then there is no loading/winding up.

Because of the above leaning or tipping back you are going to kick the front wall in Hershyzer part 1 way before your butt makes it to the wall, and you start accelerating the disc forward before you plant the front foot. If you maintain that rear side upright posture you can lead your stride with your butt and weight instead of the foot. See Door Frame Drills and make sure your arm/disc(door frame line to target) stays outside your stance, so your arm/disc stays wider to the side of you instead of going around behind or across you. The disc should stay still like the Door Frame and you have to move your body around the disc until you plant into the front side with most of your weight, feel your butt/weight leading in the door frame drill and pulling/tugging on the door frame through your arm/shoulder. You lose precious acceleration on the disc if it is moving before you plant and ready to use your butt/weight to counter the disc like a trebuchet or catapult.

Going to be much easier to work on this stuff in a standstill.

Drills:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Thank you for the detailed reply; I'll definitely take a look at those videos.

The dog is in the bushes below the tee pad; likely terrorizing the locale wildlife.

Latest posts