• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backpack Style DG Bag for $60

joshmo65

Eagle Member
Like many other people, I was interested in getting a backpack style DG bag, but I really didn't want to shovel out $135-$200. I had seen an old thread on here about a person using an internal frame backpack and putting a PVC frame inside and using that for a DG bag. (Link to old thread here).

I was kind of bummed about that bag not being sold anymore, so I went on a quest to find a bag that was easy to get and could still fit the purpose of a disc golf bag. I found a great internal frame backpack at Walmart and used the same design in the old thread.

The final product is below:

picture.php

As you can see, the bottom pouch holds about 15 discs with the "putter pouch" holding at least two more discs. I am able to strap an umbrella on one side and a stool on the other while still carrying a 32 oz Gatorade bottle. All of that doesn't even include the main compartment of the bag.

picture.php

It is able to hold a folded sweatshirt with the possibility to hold another 15 discs or anything else that you wish to carry with you. The straps are super comfortable and with a sternum strap as well as waist straps, much of the weight can be transferred directly to the hips and keep your shoulders in good shape.

When I originally got the bag, I was worried about spill outs, but the PVC frame prevents this. I am actually able to tip the bag sideways and shake it and discs still wont fall out. Unfortunately, this does mean that it may be a little tough to get discs in and out of the bag. I am able to get the discs out from any part of the bag, but to put them back in, I am pretty much limited to putting them in the middle.

picture.php

Assembly

Items Needed:
Internal Frame Backpack
5 foot long 1/2" diameter PVC pipe
4 elbows
4 side elbows

The internal frame backpack I used was a Mountain Trails Quickhaul Internal Frame Backpack. I bought mine online from Walmart and it was shipped for free.

The total length of PVC pipe needed is 57 inches, so if you think you will mess up, then buying a 10 foot piece would probably be better, especially because it is so cheap. When purchasing the side elbows, I was unable to find one that had three slip connections. The only ones that I could find had two slip connections and one screw connection. Because of this, I also needed to buy 4 adapters.

I cut the PVC into 10 pieces as follows:
(4) 4 inch
(4) 5-1/2 inch
(2) 9-1/2 inch

picture.php

I then assembled the frame as shown below inside of the bag. I didn't use any glue and don't see why it would be necessary as you may want to remove the frame for some reason. I used the adapters on the vertical pieces so that the discs would not get stuck on them.

picture.php

With the frame assembled in the bag, it is ready for discs!

picture.php

To finish it off, I folded back the front pocket and placed my putters in there. I will be putting safety pins on the zippers so that they don't fall down to far and possibly allow the putters to fall out even though I haven't had a problem with it.

picture.php

In the future, I will be spray painting the PVC black to blend in with the inside of the bag. Hopefully it will not scratch off onto the discs, but we will see. In addition, I would like to put some of the paint on rubber on the bottom of the bag to help protect it from the elements. It doesn't seem to currently have any problem with it, but better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps anyone looking to get a nice backpack style bag, without spending the big bucks.

Tim Stouden posted a DIY grip version bag awhile ago made from a Cabelas bag. How is this working for you so far?

Great write up :thmbup:. I've been waiting for someone to convert a backpack that's on the market. Maybe I'll be posting mine soon :popcorn:.

Tim Stouden posted a DIY grip version bag awhile ago made from a Cabelas bag. How is this working for you so far?

I've played 15-20 rounds with it and absolutely love it. Haven't done any tournaments, so I haven't loaded it completely up, but I have carried 5 extra discs with me and an extra sweatshirt or raingear with no problem.

Like I said above, I have yet to have a spill out and really don't expect to have one as I can tip it upsidedown and shake it without anything falling out.

I played two rounds this past week in the deluge of rain and it didn't seem to have any problems holding up. I kind of gave up on having my discs dry as it was absolutely pouring out, but if I were careful, I could see it doing a good job. It does have a rain fly, but it unfortunately comes out of the bottom, so it covers up the discs and blocks easy access to them. I would only use it for walking to the first hole of the round.

Great write up.. I wonder if you could do something similar with any bag with a large sleeping bag compartment would work?

this is really cool. I have built a couple of pvc frames one for a regular backpack and one for a duffel bag I have strapped onto a ball golf pull cart and it holds about 25 to 30 discs. lots of people have said it was cool.

:( Currently out of stock at walmart online.

Damn. I bought mine a month or two ago. Hopefully they will have more soon.

Great write up.. I wonder if you could do something similar with any bag with a large sleeping bag compartment would work?

The bag steve a used was almost exactly the same size, so I would hazard a guess that most bags of those size with the bottom pocket would work. The Mountain Trails bag is 23.5" x 9" x 12" and 2900 cubic inches of interior space. The Swiss Gear bag is 23" x 8" x 12" and 2500 cubic inches of interior space.

The reason that I went with the Mountain Trails bag (in addition to it being $10 cheaper) was that I could use ship to store for Walmart. Living in the city, I was worried that someone might jack it if it were sitting on my doorstep. Also, if it didn't work out, it was easy to return as I could take it to any Walmart store to return it instead of having to ship it back.

Don't forget to round the sharp edges off the PVC joints so they will not rub through the bag.

Is this really necessary? I saw people suggest it in the old post, but there really aren't any sharp edges. Not to mention, the frame fits in the bag very snugly, so there shouldn't be too much moving around.

Awesome post...wish I were a handy man sometimes

If you can use a hack saw, you can make this. All you need to do it cut the PVC into the right size pieces and assemble it in the bag. It really shouldn't take more than an hour to put together. :)

As mentioned above the backpack appears to be out of stock at Walmart, but I found it at Sears for the same price. Unfortunately, it doesn't include shipping which adds a bunch to the cost.

Walmart - Mountain Trails Quickhaul Internal Frame Backpack - $47.08 + free shipping.
Sears - Mountain Trails Mountain Trails Quickhaul Internal Frame Backpack - $49.49 + $12.95 shipping
Amazon - Swiss Gear Internal Frame Backpack - $59.97 + $11.49 shipping.

Unfortunately I don't think that the Amazon one is eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime which would be really nice.

Anyone wanna give me an update on these bags? Trying to decide on a DIY bag and wondering if I should get one of these, or if I should spend the extra cash on a Cabela's bag. I like the extra storage of these, but Cabela's do look a little more sleek.

Also, can I get a pic of how these ride?

It is almost identical to the DIY bag I wrote about converting previously. Only difference is he made slight adjustments to the frame. They are great bags for DG if you need tons of space but I prefer a smaller bag personally.

Yea, I'm just trying to see how they're holding up. Wondering if anyone has regrets over buying the "Walmart Brand" or anything.

I played with joshmo65 not too long ago and his bag was holding up great.

Around the course recenly I have begun to see alot of DIY bags so I think the word is getting out. As much as I would like to support disc golf specific companies it is very hard to justify spending $200 when there is a $50 alternative that is just as good in quality and comfort.