• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag buying help

northmsSAC

Asking for some opinions on buying a new bag. I've been out of the game for a while and there is a lot of new stuff out there. Few specifics of what I'm looking for...

1) I don't like the backpack trend
2) I have a Revolution that I bought over a decade ago (yeah, most of you would laugh at my quad shocks that probably belong in the smithsonian)
3) I was gonna get a red Voodoo Karma with their quads but apparently the quads are not in stock

Any thoughts/opinions/help

Thanks

Asking for some opinions on buying a new bag. I've been out of the game for a while and there is a lot of new stuff out there. Few specifics of what I'm looking for...

1) I don't like the backpack trend
Any particular reason why?

Any particular reason why?

Ummm... I don't know honestly. Seems a bit hardcore maybe? Like, if I was still a touring pro it makes sense but otherwise seems a bit over the top. But maybe that's just me being the old folgie I always swore I would never become

Ummm... I don't know honestly. Seems a bit hardcore maybe? Like, if I was still a touring pro it makes sense but otherwise seems a bit over the top. But maybe that's just me being the old folgie I always swore I would never become
I strongly urge you to reconsider and take a peek at some of the bags. Honestly, for the cost of a touring bag + straps, you can get pretty close to an entry level backpack. They are better for your back and have more storage. Hope this helps. :)

Well, the science is in that when carrying stuff on your back, one should distribute the weight higher along one's spine than lower. That's a fact. So while it might appear that backpack style bags are just reserved for the hardcore, younger player, with all of the trendy color schemes etc., in terms of comfort and efficiency while hauling your discs and gear around a track (bag features most older players really care about) it's actually the backpack style bag all the way.

Of course, until recently, back pack bags have all been way more expensive than traditional bags. Top of the line Grip bags, with max storage space and the most comfortable straps, etc. are well >$200. Now companies have introduced cheaper back pack style bags into the market. However these cheaper back pack style bags have much less comfortable straps. So while the weight of the pack is higher up on your back, the straps are thinner and the bag is still ~$30 more expensive than an Innova Comp Bag + Straps which, will run you $80.

I guess it comes down to how much are you willing to pay for some extra comfort. But forget about affecting a hardcore image by using a back pack bag. Plenty of older players use them and no one cares. They even come in bland, neutral colors now too.

I carried a Fade Tourney bag with DGA Gelz straps and that was a pretty good setup for me. However, I got a Grip B15 and the difference is night and day. The Grip carries almost weightlessly, when compared to a bag hanging at the base of my back. I'd say it's not so much a trend as it is the natural evolution of things.

All that said, it's time to look at a Delta cart. :thmbup:

Alright. So say I get a backpack style. Since I haven't really seen one up close in person, what size should I go for.
- I play casually about 2 times a week, a tournament here and there.
- I'm used to my Revo Texas bag, but was considering the voodoo karma for the slight increase in # discs held
- I carry a towel, light jacket, and that's about it as far as extras

Can you relate in terms of the Grip A, B, C. Not that that is what I would get but it seems to be the easiest to actually appreciate the size differences

If you cant justify spending the money for a backpack style when you only play casually (mostly), then I would suggest buying used if you can. I think Bamm might still have his Ranger bag for sale, at an awesome price. I just picked up a Ranger bag after going back and forth on whether I wanted one. If for nothing else, being able to stuff a jacket or hoodie in it and still have room for a nalgene made the difference. I had a Fade bag and a Innova comp bag. Could fit a jacket, couldnt fit much for snacks and drinks, but held more discs. Now that Im playing more often and more competitively, this was huge for me. The Ranger bag I think I'll end up with 18 discs, which slimming down is something I could benefit from Im sure.

I know its not what you asked, but I too never thought Id convert to the backpack style for the same reasons as you. Now that I have one, I wont go back as long as Im playing tournaments.

I can fit 18-19 discs in the Grip B15 (3 putters up top, 5-6 mid / putters in the bottom and 6-9 speed drivers for the rest). A light jacket, towel, and some beverages / snacks will fit easily in the side pockets. There's also valuables pocket above the discs where I throw my wallet, keys, phone, and whatever other junk I had in my pocket.

3) I was gonna get a red Voodoo Karma with their quads but apparently the quads are not in stock

I actually have a blue Karma with DGA Gel Strapz for sale, if you were looking for a Karma. It's obviously not exactly what you were looking for, but still very close.

To answer your question, it's completely up to you what you want to do. I love my backpack bag that I have, but it's a bit smaller. IMO, for the casual player like you mentioned, it's not worth the big bucks to drop on a backpack bag.

Revos are great bags and Phoenix quads are still the best straps around. if your not liking the backpack style bags stick with what ya got.