• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Hooks - Good idea? bad Idea?

Bag Hooks?

• Total voters

Billipo

Birdie Member
Contemplating installing bag hooks (place to keep disc bags elevated) at each hole... Is this wise? any good designs out there?

We have them at the one local course I play at... I am a big fan. Simple design too, just a couple pegs in the tee sign post.

I did half round 4x4 posts with 15 inch long 1 1/2 inch dowels drilled through the posts. A wood screw through the post and dowel keeps it in place.There are a few problems associated with them over time I plan to address in future installations.The post rots at and below the ground surface. I will dip the lower portion of the posts in tar next time. They began leaning towards the pegs which were used the most. I will add concrete next time and bury them 18 to 21 inches deep instead of 15 inches. The dowels are susceptible to baseball bats or hormone induced rage. I have considered using those rubber coated bicycle hooks from the local box hardware store but they can easily be unscrewed and stolen.

Another simpler design is a 4x4 (Not half round) with two 2x3's or 2x4's boards screwed (Not nailed) on adjacent sides. Place one near the top and the next one about 15 to 18 inches lower on the adjacent side.

Placement takes a bit of thought. always put them near the back or behind the tee. If there is a bench, put them next to the bench. My usual spec is no closer than 6 feet from the sides or no closer than 10 feet from the back of the tee. Try to put them nearest to the previous basket. It's amazing that people don't want to walk an additional six to twelve feet for the convenience. The same goes with trash cans.

Bag holders only tend to be used 30% to 50% of the time under dry conditions. EVERYONE uses them in the rain.

I would not too much money or thought into this. A few pegs or nails in a board nailed into a tree should suffice. Seems like one more thing someone would decide to break. I like them but generally as long as I don't have to put my bag in a puddle I'm happy!

We have them at the one local course I play at... I am a big fan. Simple design too, just a couple pegs in the tee sign post.

Photo:
848ff3d0.jpg

I think bag hooks are great when I remember that they're there. But after you tee off, the luxury of a bag hook is nonexistant. Just playing devil's advocate here, but if you going to put your bag on the ground for the rest of your approach throws and putts, why bother hanging it at all? If you're going to be installing new posts and it won't take too much effort to install the hooks, then go for it. If you're going to install them just to install them, then I don't think that the juice is worth the squeeze.

Appreciating the feedback...Keep it coming.

We have just added many benches on one of our courses. Natural reaction is players put their bags on the bench next to them, then next to arrive politely asks to move bags.... Motion is repeated again and again hole after hole. Gets old.

Also like how it shows the bag sitting on the ground.

I always forget they are there and set mine on the back of the teepad or opposite side I am driving from.

I usually set my bag on the back of the tee pad or on the bench if their is one. I have never played on a course that had them although I think they would be handy and I think I would use them.

I'd say it would be worth it if you could easily do it by adding to an existing sign post like the one in the photo, but if you have to install posts into the ground just for hanging a bag on, then it seems like a waste of resources and the time and money could be spent somewhere else on the course, like numbering baskets, killing poison ivy, building benches, bridges, etc.

For players who are toting single strappers, they're probably okay to have. When your bag is hooked up to quads like mine, they're pretty much useless, and having played so many courses without them, even if I had a single strapper, I'd probably not bother with them.

bag hooks are a bonus, really nice when the ground is damp

They are one of those things. Do players like them? Yes. Do players use them? Sometimes. Do they make a huge difference? No. As was mentioned, you have to set your bag on the ground for every other shot, so if your bag is going to get muddy it is going to get muddy. About all the hangers do is keep you from bending over 36 times to set down and pick up your bag. When you are as old and fat as I am, that's nice. That being said, I've never used them even in the rain.

So they don't accomplish much but they are overwhelmingly well received. Seriously, have you ever heard someone go off on how they hate them? So it's a easy thing to do that gets good feedback.

While the point about setting your bag down for all other shots is true, I think the difference is because the tee pad is the most traveled part of the hole. Chances are this is the area that is going to be really dirty or muddy.

I'd use one. It should be placed about 10ft behind the tee pad in the direction of travel from the previous hole.

Latest posts