• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bags for different conditions

d11rok

Par Member
As my disc collection grows, it seems that one could have different bags for different course conditions. For example, windy days, night (glow), winter (snow), water, etc

Does anyone have typical bag setups for any other specific course or weather conditions? And what type of discs do you put in them ( stability, weight, speed, etc)

I have a regular bag, a glow bag, and a snow bag (ribbons). Each has enough range of stabilities and speeds that I can disc up or down to handle different wind conditions, tweener distances, etc.

Part of that is selecting molds that are particularly versatile. I find weight preferences can be highly personal.

I have a snow bag and a regular bag. Living in Michigan my regular bag has the discs all the lucky people down south get to play with year round. I occasionally add a Hydra putter if I play a water course, that seems like the only decent floating disc I have come across. My snow bag has ribbons, molds with grippier plastic and lighter weights. I also have more understable molds in the snow bag. Hopefully the snow bag stays in the closet for a good 9 months now.

Last edited:
I have a below 40 degree winter/mud bag.
it's full of DX and G-Star. The stuff I can still grip when damp.

I don't have specific bags for courses. During the season, I carry a box of about 20 discs (besides my main bag) and I just swap discs in and out for the conditions and course.

I do a lot of swapping depending on the course and conditions. Mostly DX in the winter for the MN brutal cold, everything else is like grabbing an ice cube in -20. I also swap out by beat star destroyer for a DX valk, champ teebird to DX, ect. Typically throw lower speeds as it's hard to grip when your hands are frozen lol. Mostly just hard to play in general, and honestly I think playing in the winter in places like this can be detrimental at times. No traction and cold/wet can lead to bad habits that are hard to break. Managing your bag to allow more standstill shots or forehand's is a good plan in the snow or cold. Less chance of slipping, and your more stable on icy frozen ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a totally different bag setup, but certain discs come in/out depending on conditions. When it's really windy I drop a few understable discs and add a few overstable ones (especially a max D disc and a driving putter). For really rainy days I drop a couple champ discs for DX/pro ones. In winter I pretty much just throw the normal setup, but cut down on backups because it sucks to carry a heavy bag in the snow.

Great points all, thanks!

I'm playing with the idea of having a "modular" bag setups. That is, have a group of discs for windy days, have a group of discs for open distance, one for tight lines in woods, etc.

The cold bag certainly is a unique one that I won't be swapping around though.

My dedicated night golf bag is all day-glow yellow-green (most reactive color for a blacklight) with LEDs taped to them.
For windy days I need understable plastic (tailwinds) just as much as overstable, so it's the normal bag.
Thankfully, no winter bag is needed.

Although I must adapt to winter, I really try to just develop a bag I can bring anywhere and be successful at any point. Of course, if I am playing casually I will just load up the C grip to around 16 discs, but I take them from the core bag (B grip, 20 discs). Obviously, I may swap in disc X for disc Y occasionally, but not often.

I do, however, change my 'core' bag all the time.. seems like every time I feel i have a solid bag, I wanna try minimalism... and vice versa

cheers

Great points all, thanks!

I'm playing with the idea of having a "modular" bag setups. That is, have a group of discs for windy days, have a group of discs for open distance, one for tight lines in woods, etc.

The cold bag certainly is a unique one that I won't be swapping around though.

I have done this more or less without intending too. Most of pink discs are the most overstable, while my blue discs are less stable, and my orange discs the least stable (for the most part). Almost all the discs are the same molds, but different weights, plastics, and amount of wear. I can switch in and out for different courses or seasons.

Right now, I am using the orange and blue combo, but during tournament season, I use the blue and pinks. Windy days, I can switch to all pinks, all orange is the mountain setup, while all blue is the summer fun rounds. Pink and orange hardly ever mix.

I have done this more or less without intending too. Most of pink discs are the most overstable, while my blue discs are less stable, and my orange discs the least stable (for the most part). Almost all the discs are the same molds, but different weights, plastics, and amount of wear. I can switch in and out for different courses or seasons.

Right now, I am using the orange and blue combo, but during tournament season, I use the blue and pinks. Windy days, I can switch to all pinks, all orange is the mountain setup, while all blue is the summer fun rounds. Pink and orange hardly ever mix.

Great idea with color coding, although I'm a fan of multiple colors for ease of selection from the bag. Your switching of discs based on mountainous or windy or summer rounds was exactly what I was going for. Thanks!

Great idea with color coding, although I'm a fan of multiple colors for ease of selection from the bag. Your switching of discs based on mountainous or windy or summer rounds was exactly what I was going for. Thanks!

I alternate the discs, so it would be pink, blue, pink, blue, etc. This lets me know if I'm ever missing a disc. Two blues together mean I left one or lost one.

I have a snow bag and a regular bag. Living in Michigan my regular bag has the discs all the lucky people down south get to play with year round. I occasionally add a Hydra putter if I play a water course, that seems like the only decent floating disc I have come across. My snow bag has ribbons, molds with grippier plastic and lighter weights. I also have more understable molds in the snow bag. Hopefully the snow bag stays in the closet for a good 9 months now.

#2 driver from Lighting is fine, though the disc if 170 grams or above will not float. Innova Wahoo floats too, as does the Rubber Putter a Lighting disc if under a certain weight. Also all Lighting discs are really cheep as the brand that now owns it is selling off the old stock to make room for them making the mold if the mold was popular enough in the first place, so 99% of the discs will be made.

#2 driver from Lighting is fine, though the disc if 170 grams or above will not float. Innova Wahoo floats too, as does the Rubber Putter a Lighting disc if under a certain weight. Also all Lighting discs are really cheep as the brand that now owns it is selling off the old stock to make room for them making the mold if the mold was popular enough in the first place, so 99% of the discs will be made.

I haven't tried any Lightning discs, heard a rumor GGGT owns them now. I own both a Wahoo and a Dragon and both are so understable it is near impossible to rely on them. Most peeps on dgcr have had similar experiences with those discs. Thanks for the Lightning suggestion I might try a few out.

I haven't tried any Lightning discs, heard a rumor GGGT owns them now. I own both a Wahoo and a Dragon and both are so understable it is near impossible to rely on them. Most peeps on dgcr have had similar experiences with those discs. Thanks for the Lightning suggestion I might try a few out.

#2 driver flies like an XL bit a tad slower and more glide, so they get about the same distance. Hope the newer DuPont makes the #2 Driver more durable, the old plastic I had mine in the disc was not durable before my heavier 172 gram disc sank in water after 15 minutes. The Rubber Putter also Floats too and is not as popular as the #2 driver, also makes for a great approach/long putt disc too. Other brands like Auqaflight make all of there basic plastic discs to float in water, it looks like the brand is on Infinite discs.

Eh, I have a regular bag and a gyro bag (which is basically just for fun). My regular bag is pretty versatile; I geek out over molds and bag building theory for that very reason. I just add more wind fighters and/or lose-able drivers for water carries depending on the course. If the weather looks like it will be particularly nasty for a tourney I will basically opt for a mini-Vibram bag just to survive. If the course is really open I might add more drivers or really wooded I might add more mids and putters. Fortunately I don't have to have a Winter bag.

I do a lot of swapping depending on the course and conditions. Mostly DX in the winter for the MN brutal cold, everything else is like grabbing an ice cube in -20. I also swap out by beat star destroyer for a DX valk, champ teebird to DX, ect. Typically throw lower speeds as it's hard to grip when your hands are frozen lol. Mostly just hard to play in general, and honestly I think playing in the winter in places like this can be detrimental at times. No traction and cold/wet can lead to bad habits that are hard to break. Managing your bag to allow more standstill shots or forehand's is a good plan in the snow or cold. Less chance of slipping, and your more stable on icy frozen ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in my too. You nailed it with the standstill prt. I go out with put and approach discs and a couple mids maybe a fd and tee bird if I'm ambitious

Discs that I can throw like normal when wet is what goes in my bag basically all year. I might swap 1 or 2 for a softer plastic, but usually I use the same discs all year. I bag 6-8, use 3 or 4, and change 1 or 2 out at times if I want to learn another disc.

I'm a person who does better with 1-3 discs over 10. My mind is already made up. The only tourneys I won for AMs are (2) One and Done events. Each time I used my River. At low power I can put that disc right by pin every time so I don't have to worry about 6' (or more) putting with a god damn River lol.

I have a regular bag and a testing stuff out bag. I tend to rotate a few discs through depending on conditions. I may swap an eagle l out for an x if it's particularly windy, things like that. The testing stuff out bag is generally for backups I may purchase these days. I have what I like now and don't really see it changing any time soon. If I pick up a new backup or 3 I'll put them in the testing bag. Usually take that to do field work, really open course, or farm course rounds.

Really the goal is to know my bag AND my backups. I lost a perfect roc last year without having one beat in for backup and it still haunts me.

Latest posts