• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Baiting" in tournaments

803.04 F The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by
a member of the group, it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group.

That sounds very wrong. How can the thrower second a penalty called on them?

I don't think its wrong since the thrower is a member of the group. Since I started playing Open I have played with a couple of guys that have called themselves on foot faults and falling putts (on good shots).

Normally I don't get distracted by people talking or moving around but if I get suprised right before releasing all bets are off. If that guy yelled "Fore" at me when I was throwing theres no telling where the disc would of landed. I could only hope for a massive grip lock that would whip around and crack that guy.

Last edited:
I don't think its wrong since the thrower is a member of the group. Since I started playing Open I have played with a couple of guys that have called themselves on foot faults and falling putts (on good shots).

Normally I don't get distracted by people talking or moving around but if I get suprised right before releasing all bets are off.
I'm just wondering in the "buddy" scenario what if the guy just screwed up his shot and his friend called a foot fault to help him out?

I completely agree that a player should be able to call penalties on themselves but in the foot fault retee an unscrupulous player can gain an unfair advantage.

Anyone who is friends with Josh Anthon on Facebook should read his post about Barry that was posted a few days ago. It's not referring to the MCO, but apparently at the beaver state fling he called a foot fault on himself for a missed putt. Got a second, and then made his putt without a stroke penalty. Thoughts?

Anger increases my focus. If you want me to crush you at something, all you have to do is start talking smack. I'm not trying to be some stupid internet bada$$ and I don't know why I am this way, but I always have been. Didn't matter if I was playing basketball, Magic the Gathering, or discgolf. When I get mad, I play way above my skill level.

That being said. I'd rather just relax and have fun without all the drama.

Now all I'll be able to do is laugh when someone does that because I'll call it "baiting" in my head and I'll get the mental image of Frito from "Idiocracy."

Haha! "Go away! BAITIN'!"

Love this movie!

As for the mental games, stay in your own head. Block out the rest.

Anyone who is friends with Josh Anthon on Facebook should read his post about Barry that was posted a few days ago. It's not referring to the MCO, but apparently at the beaver state fling he called a foot fault on himself for a missed putt. Got a second, and then made his putt without a stroke penalty. Thoughts?

I think its shameful behavior that undermines the spirit of the rules of the game. The rule should be changed to prevent this kind of abuse. I wonder why that hasn't happened yet considering this problem has been known for a while now.

I think its shameful behavior that undermines the spirit of the rules of the game. The rule should be changed to prevent this kind of abuse. I wonder why that hasn't happened yet considering this problem has been known for a while now.

Someone else on his card had to second the foot fault. They could have chosen not too, so I would assume it was a legit call. I have only been around Barry at a couple of Pittsburgh tournaments but he seemed like a pretty good guy. Quiet, but always complimentary and never once did anything "shameful".

So I guess it is legal to call a foot fault on yourself on a missed putt. Re-putt without a penalty and make your shot? This seems like it has a lot of negative potential. If you have a friend on your card you may as well get 1 mulligan per round on a makeable putt. You miss, "foot fault! Sorry guys" your buddy seconds it, putt again and gain back that stroke without penalty? Seems pretty iffy.

Steve Rico wasn't very happy with Barry's use of the rule and considered him a cheater. Supposedly the missed Putt was rolling away, which would've potentially turned a birdie shot into a potential bogey hole and a 2 stroke swing on his scorecard.

So I guess it is legal to call a foot fault on yourself on a missed putt. Re-putt without a penalty and make your shot? This seems like it has a lot of negative potential. If you have a friend on your card you may as well get 1 mulligan per round on a makeable putt. You miss, "foot fault! Sorry guys" your buddy seconds it, putt again and gain back that stroke without penalty? Seems pretty iffy.

Steve Rico wasn't very happy with Barry's use of the rule and considered him a cheater. Supposedly the missed Putt was rolling away, which would've potentially turned a birdie shot into a potential bogey hole and a 2 stroke swing on his scorecard.

I've thought about that one-free-mulligan-per-round scenario before, but I'd think at that point it becomes professional misconduct ("Cheating or willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play"), subject to disqualification as per section 3.3 of the Competition Manual. As long as it's blatant enough, just report it to the TD after the round.

In theory we might get to the point where players who toss a bad putt would purposely step past their lie and try to "sell" that as a legitimate falling putt. To me that's entering the same realm as flopping in any number of other professional sports and there's no good way to prevent that.

If it's truly a falling putt and you call it on yourself and someone seconds it, then that is within the rules. If you miss a bad putt, intentionally try to sell a foot fault, and your buddy is in cahoots with you and seconds it, then that is a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play.

"Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA."

IMO, as a competitor, you shouldn't be calling foot faults on a missed putt from another player to give them a second chance at making the putt.

If I miss a putt but happen to foot fault, I will NOT call my foot fault, nor will I second it. That's just me. However, if I make it and foot fault, I will call it on myself right away. It's then up to one of the members to second it.

There is a video on youtube of barry doing the exact opposite of what you said. He made a putt, called a foot fault on himself because he fell forward, re-took the putt and then missed it and got a 3. It was a good thing not a bad.

IMO, as a competitor, you shouldn't be calling foot faults on a missed putt from another player to give them a second chance at making the putt.

This ^. Why on earth would you give someone a free throw that is more likely to go in? I've seen guys foot fault on missed putts all tourney long, but I typically never call them unless an obvious faulted one goes in.

There is a video on youtube of barry doing the exact opposite of what you said. He made a putt, called a foot fault on himself because he fell forward, re-took the putt and then missed it and got a 3. It was a good thing not a bad.

That was at the music city open I believe. That incident was also mentioned on Facebook but clarified as not the one in question. The example I told where he missed and it rolled away happened at the Beaver State Fling, and Steve Rico was on his card. So he showed good class at the videotaped tournament and possibly the opposite at the BSF.

Someone else on his card had to second the foot fault. They could have chosen not too, so I would assume it was a legit call. I have only been around Barry at a couple of Pittsburgh tournaments but he seemed like a pretty good guy. Quiet, but always complimentary and never once did anything "shameful".

I don't mean to pass judgment on Barry as I don't have any of the details of what transpired. I take issue with the abuse of the rule generally.