• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Banshee or Firebird

As a RHBH guy who throws everything in champ (except putters or mids/drivers that don't come in champ and only come in star), I think Firebird is significantly easier to predict. It's like a Teebird (same straight exit off the release, little jump in height, then fade left).. with a bit more distance and amore pronounced left hook at the end.

Based on the guys I play with and what I've seen in tourneys, Banshee is more popular with forehand players. I've borrowed them for rounds when I was thinking of buying or trading with friends. In my hands, Banshee flies pretty low, and I got some real mean left hook and crashes from it, but maybe I just didn't use it enough?

I've basically come to the realization that the more popular discs (Aviar, Shark, Roc, Teebird, Boss) are popular for a reason: they work. Neither Firebird or Banshee are in every other guy's bag, but Firebirds are def the more used among the two...

Last edited:
I didn't talk about it in the initial post, but the side arm aspect is important for me so thanks for the info. Looking for a disc that will not glide, is not too fast, is fairly overstable, but still a driver I am comfortable throwing BH and FH and these two discs came to mind.

according to innova, neither the FB or banshee have that much glide, and are both good for sidearm (although they really just say anyting overstbale is good for sidearm).

i've thrown banshees and firebirds back to back. i currently carry a champ banshee. the banshee flies just like my Eagle-X, but a TAD slower. the firebirds i've tried are all 11x, so they're all meathooks

I was thinking about adding a mid range tomahawk/thumber throw to my game and thought these discs would be a good combination of slow to fast speed disc, but dependable in windy conditions.

Brings me back to old times when all I knew how to throw were tomahawks and someone gave me a D plastic banshee, as I remember it as very predictable for the toss.

Last edited:
Firebird for me:

On a forehand does a very nice flex shot, about 320'
On a backhand goes straight until it slows down, then a very pronounced fade, about 270'

Banshee:

Backhand same as Firebird, except shorter
Forehand a little flippier, and also shorter
This disc has my only ace, on a thumber, I can get about 240'

I didn't talk about it in the initial post, but the side arm aspect is important for me so thanks for the info. Looking for a disc that will not glide, is not too fast, is fairly overstable, but still a driver I am comfortable throwing BH and FH and these two discs came to mind.

you're looking for the banshee here, as it is slower than the firebird. They both have quite a mean fade.

I have both in my bag. Both max weight. It's nice to have one that's shorter or longer. There is a little difference in them. I don't think the banshee is as stable. But I like them both. Especially with winter coming up you are going to need your stable plastic if you are playing in the snow.

kinda the same but different... i think a lot of this depends on your bag and uses....

fundamentally, i see the firebird more as a driver and the banshee as a utility disc.. (this isnt to say that you cant drive a banshee, i do).... I carry a destroyer and a wraith, so i dont need the extra umph of the firebird...
but i do like the controllability of the banshee... it's money (for me) in the controlled "flick shots" all the way up to 325' placement sidearm drives. I also use it as my all purpose hyzer and overstable approach/placement disc (75'-225' +/-). I'm wrestling with the notion that i can retire my Champ Gator as i am not convinced that i need an overstable disc slower than the Banshee and that my Rhyno and Roc's cant absorb the loss.(???)

* note, if you bought an older KC Firebird, i believe it's a lot more like what we expect out of a firebird than the current version. I also think the banshee is a lot more like what we want out of a firebird than most of us expect (except it doesnt go far enough)... and "drat" the Predator is perfect, except it goes too far..... WHAT TO DO?

I do wonder however, if i replaced my banshee with an FL ..........
/\ i've had good experiences when i've experiemented and borrowed a friends'.

I've carried both and decided long ago that the Banshee definitely works better for me in almost all ccircumstances. If you told me that I could only carry 2 discs to play a round with, I would carry a Banshee and either a Buzzz or Wizard in the second slot. I've done it too, and scored the same as the previous round when I have my entire normal compliment of discs.

The Banshee is great for BH driving if you have the arm to do so. It also excels at controlled, precision flicks. It laughs at the wind; even into 20-25 mph headwind it will not turn over. I can throw the Banshee and Firebird to within 20' or so of each other, so distance isn't a great concern. Plus, I prefer thinner rimmed discs (Teebird is the perfect width for me) and the Banshee "feels" better in my hand.

If you are a fan of the PD, but want some Banshee/Firebird-like stability and wind resistance, also give a look at the Champ PD. The C-PD has the same rim width as the Firebird and great overstability, but also has the same exact rim as the S-PD and P-PD.

Awesome on the Banshee recommendations. I was thinking banshee and picked one up. I still need to figure the side arm better with it(I too am trying to put away the champion gator), but the BH reliability is very nice, and controlled as far as limited glide and a great skip to boot.

I tried anhyzer lines a couple times, but I really have to punish this disc to manipulate it, or release it on an angle.

Found myself even throwing some tunnel thumber shots and wide open thumber plop shots. Very precise disc that is easy to get what you want out of it. Even had a nice tee shot and trouble shot requiring huge spike hyzer and the disc did exactly what I wanted. Very Impressed!:thmbup:

firebird love 11x and 12x

Iv never thrown a Banshee but i love the Firebird. I would recommend a Firebird.

Have thrown both, in champion plastic, for a long time.

The banshees really str8 with a hard left at the end. Eventually, over time, will beat up and become a super str8, no fade, maybe even some turn, like the flight of the T-bird or TL.

Firebird is fast but just as soon as it catches any loss in speed, it want to start going left. Meat hook capabilities, but not so much as say Lat.'s XXX. Better used for harder lefts that a banshee might not reach (RHBH)
Hella great spike disc!!! and skip disc. Taller skips with Firebird than Banshee.

If you want something more comparable to a Firebird, but like a Firebird fairway driver, then you definately need to go with a Whippet-X.

Both good FH dics and headwind discs.

Close, but the main difference I see in the two, is the Firebird being more overstable than the Banshee and the Banshee having a little bit more glide.
Both need a decent arm behind them though.

Everyone should have a Firebird and/or Banshee in the bag. If not, you're missing out. Completely awsome discs with great wear-and-tear flight.

Last edited:
The banshee is slightly slower, so at higher speeds it will turn. I throw a banshee when I'm okay with it turning right but I NEED IT TO END LEFT. I love the Banshee.

In fact I think a Banshee and a Firebird are not too overlapping in a bag, especially if you use them sidearm.

I may suggest you use a Predator instead of a firebird if you want the difference to be just a bit more noticable. The predator is slightly longer than a firebird...not much.

\/\/

I sit in this theory of thought and I want to know what many of you think of this.

I think that most bags really only need 2 highly overstable wind/utility discs. And I think that they can be defined as short an long overstable discs. So in my ideal bag I would have a Banshee and a Teerex alongside my other discs. Someone could easily replace either of those two discs as such

Short
Banshee, Whippet, Drone, XXX, Viper, Drone, Demon

Long
Max, Teerex, Spirit, Predator, Speed Demon, Flick, Xcal, Force, Blitz, Pulse

Where you would decided what to ranges you wanted where a Drone is obviously slower and shorter than an XXX but being willing to cover the differences between the two discs with one of the two.

I myself always thought it was silly to carry more than a few overstable driver molds as most of the shots they cover can be done with just two-3 discs.

As per the thread. I like the banshee since it is slower, and I would compliment with a way longer overstable discs. (Banshee also makes a better utility discs IMO... whatever that is worth)

I sit in this theory of thought and I want to know what many of you think of this.

I think that most bags really only need 2 highly overstable wind/utility discs. And I think that they can be defined as short an long overstable discs.

Short

Long

I myself always thought it was silly to carry more than a few overstable driver molds as most of the shots they cover can be done with just two-3 discs.

As per the thread. I like the banshee since it is slower, and I would compliment with a way longer overstable discs. (Banshee also makes a better utility discs IMO... whatever that is worth)

I pretty much agree with this statement. The Banshee is my overstable utility disc. I haven't really decided on a meathook for long range yet...probably a predator in the end.

On you're list I might call an XXX a long and I'd add Zone/pig/gator/drone to the short.

\/\/

I think that most bags really only need 2 highly overstable wind/utility discs. And I think that they can be defined as short an long overstable discs. So in my ideal bag I would have a Banshee and a Teerex alongside my other discs. Someone could easily replace either of those two discs as such

Short

Long

Where you would decided what to ranges you wanted where a Drone is obviously slower and shorter than an XXX but being willing to cover the differences between the two discs with one of the two.

I would probably put the Flick in the shorter area if we are talking about still being overstable. I mean, a Flick can go hella long but you are going to lose some of that overstability the further you get it.

I actually use mine for my utility disc with a Pred being my longer OS and the Flick I will use for shots I want to go up to 200' ahead then another 100' left after a 90 degree turn. I mean, I can flex it and get it far but on a normal throw its going to be much shorter than a Pred.

Latest posts