• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Baseline plastic or less weight for easier throwing?

DX Leopard is good choice. I'd stick with baseline until you learn more or a Pro if you want a little more durability and play a heavily wooded course. Also, you're going to lose discs more starting out so might as well lose the cheap ones for a while before the premium plastic.

Thanks for all the good advice you provided. This is awesome!

I think I'll go for both, a lighter Teebird and a DX Leopard. Then see how that turns out.

Also, what other discs are you throwing? Is the Champ Teebird the only disc you have?
No. Besides putters I have three midranges: ESP Comet, Z-FLX Buzzz and DX Roc (in the meanwhile nicely beat in). The Champ Teebird is my only driver. I'm mainly doing field work and having a lot of fun with it. If I'm going to the course, I take a P2, the Comet and the Teebird with me. The Teebird for forehands, overheads, and some of the drives (expecially when windy). The Comet for most of the drives, as it is more constantly going far for me currently.

My perception is that my Teebird works well as a measurement tool for me, as it shows how I more and more get it to fly straight longer. It just doesn't provide the distance that it could because it ends the flight early because of its fade and my not yet sufficient power/speed/technique. My question was to ease things a bit here.

I would not practice with only the Teebird; I use all my discs -- putters and midranges -- for throwing straight shots. The putters and the Comet care for the technique, which then moves the Teebird farther. ;-)

I'm an older guy who has been throwing like about 4 years and realize that I will never have a strong arm. My best driver by far for me is a 162g Star Teebird. In fact, I use it off the Teepad as well as fairway driver. I have a couple of Leopards and several other Teebirds, but this Star Teebird just works the best for me.

Today I've received the new discs:

- DX Leopard, 167g
- Star Teebird, 158g

I've also ordered two QJLS in 165g and 170g.

All of them are straighter than my 175g Champ Teebird.

The Leo shows the same slightly understable flight patter as my Comet -- surprise, surprise! ;-)

The light Teebird flies like I guess a normal-weight TL would fly. It goes straight until right before the end, then it fades . That's nice. However, I sometimes turned it over ... possibly caused by OAT.

The two QJLS show flight paths somewhere between the Leo and the Teebird, all in all pretty straight. There's not much difference of the 5g in weight between them. I'm just a bit more careful with the lighter one, but that might be psychologically only.

Today, I threw all those discs roughly equally far. The slightly farthest throws were the Leopard and ... the 175g (!) Champ Teebird. Has my form improved? Or is it because the Champ Teebird handles any power, it never turns, thus I don't have to care at all?

Anyway, these new discs are great for practicing, or, in other words, now I can actually practice with fairway drivers, not only with mids and the single overstable Teebird.

Thanks again for your recommendations!

My go to fairway driver for a couple of years has been a 162g Star Teebird until recently I picked up a 167g Champion Leopard and it has now become my favorite. The Leopard is just easier for me to get the right line on and distance between it and the Teebird with my arm speed is about the same.

Personally I'd recommend against very light discs, they don't eject as cleanly from the hand as heavier discs do. And I say that as a noodle arm, I don't throw far at all. I used to buy all light discs, now I typically buy above 170g. They are more precise and more consistent for me, distance is very close to equal to the lighter discs

Today I've received the new discs:

- DX Leopard, 167g
- Star Teebird, 158g

The light Teebird flies like I guess a normal-weight TL would fly. It goes straight until right before the end, then it fades . That's nice. However, I sometimes turned it over ... possibly caused by OAT.

You'll grow to love that star tbird. If it is turning (assuming no major headwind) at less than 325' it is definitely a form issue, not the disc. I throw a lot of light teebirds as they are my most thrown disc off the tee. Quite a few star (or starlite) 155-160s and gstar 165s and a 175 star for a variety of stabilities / wind conditions.

You'll grow to love that star tbird. If it is turning (assuming no major headwind) at less than 325' it is definitely a form issue, not the disc.
Then it's a form issue. ;-)

Your comment is helpful, because I do not have enough experience yet to be sure on such questions.