• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Baseline plastic or less weight for easier throwing?

Meillo

Eagle Member
Hoi,

I'm a beginner and have a 175g Champion Teebird. It is too overstable for me currently, only with my best shots I manage a straight flight out of it. I'm steadily improving with my technique, thus I am sure I'll be able to throw that disc as I like to somewhen later. Until then, I would like to have the same disc but easier to throw.

What should I go for?
1) 175g DX Teebird
2) 170g Champion Teebird (or even lighter)
3) Star Teebird?

Recommendations are appreciated.

I had a similar experience with a Champ Teebird. I tried a 168 Star Teebird, a 171 DX Teebird, and a 171 Champ TL. All went straighter than the Champ Teebird. Got more distance with the DX and Star.

My best discovery when starting out was the 150 g class discs. Going with DX is your best bet since you can try out more molds for less money. The Leopard is a great choice.

Leo and TL are both great choices. I throw both. Leo is a great disc for gentle turnovers, hyzer skips (skips more than any disc I have) and TL is my primary FH disc. I just bought and S line FD that I am hoping to get to throw this weekend, often described as a longer Leo. I generally try to keep my weights in the high 160s. The past couple of months I have been throwing a 168g Opto Saint that I bought early on and couldn't get up to speed. It's a great disc for me now, as I have improved. It has become my primary driver. Maybe the Saint is worth a look for you now or in the near future.

Beginners need to go more understable first and foremost, regardless of weight. It will also teach sound form going forward.

Get a 170gr DX Teebird. They beat in pretty quick to a straight flier and have great glide. Heck, buy two and cycle them, you'll have a beat one to cover the leopard/TL slot, a fresh one and your champ for the wind.

If that doesn't appeal, get a Pro Leopard.

I don't think a TL is that good a solution, they are still High speed stable and will dump if you can't get them up to speed. I would go with an FD instead of a TL.

Hoi,

I'm a beginner and have a 175g Champion Teebird. It is too overstable for me currently, only with my best shots I manage a straight flight out of it. I'm steadily improving with my technique, thus I am sure I'll be able to throw that disc as I like to somewhen later. Until then, I would like to have the same disc but easier to throw.

What should I go for?
1) 175g DX Teebird
2) 170g Champion Teebird (or even lighter)
3) Star Teebird?

Recommendations are appreciated.

For a beginner, I highly suggest you going to lower weights. In general, lower weights are easier to get up to speed and control. Even for more veteran players, you still see a lot of them use lighter drivers and midranges.

I would go for drivers in the 160s while you are learning and try plastic/molds like these:

Dx and Pro Leopards
G-line FD
Dx Teebirds
Dx Archangels

For me, the upper-160s are my sweet spot for discs. So my recommendation is to drop 10g from the weights you're throwing, and see how that does. A 165-169g Star Teebird might do really well for you. A 167g TL is what I am bagging, as well. The TL is an awesome mold.

A DX Teebird is a pretty good investment. It'll become straight, and stay there quite a while. I've never got one to be flippy, having lost one and currently beating in a 2nd one.

Yeah neither less wt or plastic. Champ teebirds are generally OS anyway even if you can crush a disc.

Understable mold and learn to hyzerflip once it seems like it is "turning too much".

Latest posts