• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets for a camp

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
The new year is here, I can officially start making purchases towards the course.

My budget is rather limited and I am looking for the most economical means of acquiring 9 baskets. I explored the tone pole/chimes route, but my boss would like baskets. They'd be installed on a private camp, heavily used by campers through the summer, and lightly used by myself and occasional outside users through the off season.

Do any manufacturers/retailers offer discounts for a nonprofit?
Anybody have any luck with grants in this kind of scenario, any specific grants to recommend?
How about used baskets? Anybody know of some baskets in decent condition laying around somewhere in the midwest, I'll come pick them up.
Suggestions on the best value basket I could buy? The high end baskets are likely out of our price range. Would something like the disc nation line be sufficient? Other less expensive options out there?

For the cost, the Lightning DB-5 basket is very nice. It can be had for about $220 a piece if you buy 9 at discgolfstation. I've played them on several courses and they catch very well, in spite of just the single row of chains. Plus they are pretty heavy duty.

Otherwise, I'm no help. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this thread, though. Wish you well!

At $255, DGA Mach 2's are probably your best bet.
Spend any less and you risk getting a basket that won't
take the abuse the campers may dish out.
The best part about Mach 2's is you can upgrade them.
You can add the extra chains which makes them Mach 5's.
You can also add basket blades, number plates (standard
or custom) or flags at a later date if you wish.

If you are really trying to save money, try looking at the In-Step
They are definitely on the low-end quality wise, but I played on a course this last weekend that had them, and they worked just fine. They had been in the ground for over a year, in harsh climates, and still looked good.

Another nod for DB-5 we had them @ 1 of our local courses for 7 years. We added inner chains but they catch well right out of the box. NY winters and no rust or any real sign of wear. If your looking to supply these for a camp maybe the camp would like to invest in discs. If you become a dealer for lightning by buying 100 discs you can get the DB-5 @ wholesale. So 100 discs at wholesale costs ~$400 makes you a dealer and 9 baskets @ ~$160 each for a total of ~$1,850 if you just get the baskets at retail ~$1,890. Granted this is without shipping but if your going for 9 baskets on the cheap for a camp I would get the lightning discs as well. Lightning disc are good for campers as the disc names and stamps show what the disc is supposed to do.
http://www.lightninggolfdiscs.com/

I agree with Ranger Rick, if you wanna save money In-steps are the way to go!!!! I have four of them on my private course and they hold up really well, the basket is a bit shallow but if you add a second set of chains they catch really well. I think you checked out one of them at the OUTLAW this fall. Any ways i think they are like $122 a basket.

You mentioned the discnation baskets, I think they're great. I played a private course that uses them and I thought they caught great and look like the other top of the line baskets.

if you get the chance, check out the Frolfware baskets. Joey's a great guy and he has donated a ton of baskets in the past, I know there are now quite a few courses with his baskets in and around the Fargo area. I personally love the baskets. His number is on the site and I would strongly recommend getting in contact with him.

There's a DAR School for trouble youth in Salem, SC that has a 9-hole Discatcher Sport course. They used rebar bent in U shapes to secure the baskets. Course has been there for several years. The baskets have held up well.

You could always contact PIAS. There was a thread on here somewhere about PIAS donating baskets to a course and maybe getting in touch with Nikko about his disc golf expansion project might be a good idea bc of his partnership with Arroyo

The Instep were like $65 at Costco this summer . . . maybe you can find them online somewhere. I know nothing about their durability other than the metal used is much thinner than the normal permanent baskets. It also doesnt look like it is powder coated, it just looks like it is painted and that paint will not live up to being left out. I am just guessing but if cost is the #1 concern initially maybe a perfect option. If I had only $1100 I would do that. If I had a way to raise money for the baskets I would step up to the lightning baskets or potentially go right to the cheapest of the DGA or Innova baskets

Huge Necro Bump

I'm planning on putting a course at my cousins boy scout camp. Great land for DG and alot of teenagers to be introduced to the sport. I am looking for a cheap, but very efficient option.

So far, I am considering the Mach II and the Discatcher Sport. I want them to be PDGA legal, able to catch well, and able to be removed if need be. If someone could cut me a deal and/or give another choice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

As a result of this thread I was contacted by Jay Reading regarding the edge program - he was able to get a couple grants and reduce the price for us for 28 chain disccatchers to a reasonable number. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the package included 9 disccatcher pros, 3 innova travelers, 50 dx skeeters, 50 minis, a curriculum video and a couple other things. Could be worth looking in to.

Probably isn't as relevant, but I suppose it could be if you get lucky - I also got 9 baskets for the back 9 from a local club that had redesigned a 9 hole course, replacing their old homemade baskets (made by a college welding class) with 18 disccatcher pros, they had 10 of these homemade baskets laying around for a few years, so I picked them up for a great price. Could be worth asking around to local clubs if you know of any courses that may have been redesigned or pulled recently.

Huge Necro Bump

I'm planning on putting a course at my cousins boy scout camp. Great land for DG and alot of teenagers to be introduced to the sport. I am looking for a cheap, but very efficient option.

So far, I am considering the Mach II and the Discatcher Sport. I want them to be PDGA legal, able to catch well, and able to be removed if need be. If someone could cut me a deal and/or give another choice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Id be happy to get you a quote from MVP and see what they can offer for the camp. PM with specifics on the peeps you're working with and price as the pro model could work.

As a result of this thread I was contacted by Jay Reading regarding the edge program - he was able to get a couple grants and reduce the price for us for 28 chain disccatchers to a reasonable number. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the package included 9 disccatcher pros, 3 innova travelers, 50 dx skeeters, 50 minis, a curriculum video and a couple other things. Could be worth looking in to.
Dude, mvp pro black hole,unless you want traveling skeeters

Thanks for all the suggestions. As for who I am working with, he knows nothing about the sport, and I am going in on this one alone. I can contact the local designer, well acclaimed I should add, and ask him his opinion. The black holes look very nice, and the Pros are awesome but obviously more expensive without the grant. I want to spend less than 2500 dollars for 9 holes, maybe 3000.

Salient is selling their baskets for $165 each, the ones used in the American Open

Latest posts