• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Club

dgcembrist

Hey folks. I'm a high school teacher in WV and I'm starting a disc golf club at my school. I am anticipating having approximately 25-30 students in my club. I'm looking for any information you have on grants or places to find discounted gear. I have contacted the Explore Disc Golf Foundation and I'm going to ask local retailers for donations of some putters but I'm wondering what else is out there. Any info you have is appreciated.

And of course if you'd like to donate some old beat up discs you won't use that would great just PM me =p.

Thanks!

Hey folks. I'm a high school teacher in WV and I'm starting a disc golf club at my school. I am anticipating having approximately 25-30 students in my club. I'm looking for any information you have on grants or places to find discounted gear. I have contacted the Explore Disc Golf Foundation and I'm going to ask local retailers for donations of some putters but I'm wondering what else is out there. Any info you have is appreciated.

And of course if you'd like to donate some old beat up discs you won't use that would great just PM me =p.

Thanks!

Is this something the EDGE program at the PDGA could support? I am not too familiar with the programs.

I would recommend doing a search for support programs at PDGA.com

Local disc retailers may also be able to offer discounts and assistance

Find out if there's a local club already established in your area. If your local course has a kiosk you can probably find their contact info there. See if they have members that have plastic to donate. Our club collects lost discs that end up unclaimed, and after a time we either sell them with the proceeds going to the club or we donate some to programs such as yours. That would be a good way to start locally. Good luck with your program. :clap:

It looks like we're practically neighbors! Although I don't have much knowledge about where to get gear, I would guess that some places might offer discounts to schools (especially if you tell them what you're up to). I've had some great luck with Gateway. They do a ton of work to expand our sport. Otherwise, I might look out for misprint packages online. Oftentimes you can acquire ten or more quality discs for a low price. Perhaps you can ask the kids to bring in a bit of money to get your club started?

I'm a teacher as well and many of my middle school students are all about playing disc golf after I showed them a few things at school. It's a great activity for this age group and I'd venture to say that high schoolers would appreciate the idea of a disc golf club. Let me know if I can be of any help...I've often though about how awesome it would be to coach ultimate or disc golf in an area where the sport is much more popular than it is here!

They definitely have a decent club scene in Huntington at Rotary. We've also got a good bit going on here in Charleston now too, despite the season coming to a close. I would agree about checking the PDGA's site about the EDGE program. If you're interested in buying discs, Steve's shop here in Charleston has the biggest selection in the state, and he usually has some X-outs for cheap.

Schools, disc golf... EDGE... edgediscgolf.org
Great program and people!

They definitely have a decent club scene in Huntington at Rotary. We've also got a good bit going on here in Charleston now too, despite the season coming to a close. I would agree about checking the PDGA's site about the EDGE program. If you're interested in buying discs, Steve's shop here in Charleston has the biggest selection in the state, and he usually has some X-outs for cheap.

I'd have to second Knettles' comments about Steve's shop at Redeemer, they recently put an addition on to the shop, and the selection is amazing. In fact, I think he has an entire set of the EDGE discs, but being a high-school club, I'm not sure how long those would do you any good.

These fellow West Virginians know what's up. Steve would be a great contact. He's always hanging out at the Redeemer course and is very interested in expanding the sport's popularity in our state!

As a matter of fact I, along with anyone else who braves the cold, will be out there at 1 on Sunday for some casual play, as well as to salivate over all the pretty plastic in the shop while simultaneously taking refuge from the temperatures :D

Latest posts