• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Beads

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I was wondering what folks thought the (de)merits if beaded discs were.

Looked through my most often used discs, and found a mix of beaded and non-beaded mids and putters - I don''t really notice them when I throw.

Looking for answers/opinions....

Looked through my most often used discs, and found a mix of beaded and non-beaded mids and putters - I don''t really notice them when I throw.

When I changed my putting style to a more pure spin putt, the new way I gripped the putter made beaded putters better for me, so I switched from the Warden to the Marshal. I also acquired some beaded Pa3s, where I'd had Pa4s before. The McBeth Prototype is not beaded, though, and did very well for me when I tried it out.

Other than that, I'm using both beaded (V-tech beaded, especially) and non-beaded approach and mid discs. The Buzzz and Shark3 feel more comfortable than the Roc3 to me, but the Harp performs just a bit better for me than the AviarX3. So like you, it's a mixture for me...

For putting, or in sabre grip on mids, the rim of the disc rests in the first crease of my pointer finger. I find that beads fit in the crease and release cleaner than non beaded. Beads also release cleaner off a forehand shot for me as well, as the disc sits a bit above my hand.

Power grips, or a full fan, do not seem to need a bead as much... at least for me.

I'm fine with beads on molds that I plan to backhand, especially if they aren't huge. The Bard and Harp for example don't have much of a bead, just enough to stay stable after they wear in.

For FH I don't care for much of a bead, it messes with my grip just a bit and makes things that are not super OS harder to throw.

I won't avoid trying a beaded disc, but they aren't often go tos.

I've tried various beadless molds (Verdict, Truth, Buzzz, Shark3, Buzzz OS, Mako3, MD, and a couple more I'm sure), but the beaded (Roc3, Roc, Wasp, Comet) always seem to win out for my mids. For putters, I can putt with almost anything, but beads seem to be more comfy, though I did have stints with a P2, Nova and Classic Aviar as my putter, but none really stuck.

When I was a beginner I swore that beads were uncomfortable and didn't release well but I've come to realize that it doesn't really make a difference.

I prefer beadless for my throwing putters and for anything I'm going to forehand. Something about a bead makes it uncomfortable for forehand. Try forehandomg a roc... possible, but very hard to get a clean release.

Truths, Envy's, and Zones are where it's at for my forehand short game.

I currently have a Stalker, Beaded fairway driver in my bag as well as the Impact a fairway disc Yeah I know I have 6 of each at right weights for me as back up. The midrange discs I have not really liked with a bead Use Shark 3 for main mid and Shark for approach shots/driving putter duties/Windy putter though the Wasp would be nice and could use if made in more then just a Z plastic for production run, but my putter is a Magnet and a #2 Upshot in Prostyle for uphill/downhill putting and formerly my driving putter. Magnet is a putter without a bead but it had the odd lip so if I went away from a Magnet/Titanic, Hydra, or Clutch I woud get a putter with a big bead and a more straight rim. I could use midrange that are putter shape and beaded like the Gator for wind or Comet in place of the Shark though with the Shark and Shark 3 I do not need such a disc .

Last edited:
Well, I see I'm not the only one who doesn't really see a difference: OTOH, living in Minnesota for many years, my hands have been frozen time and again, and aren't necessarily the most tactile sensitive mitts.

Well, I see I'm not the only one who doesn't really see a difference: OTOH, living in Minnesota for many years, my hands have been frozen time and again, and aren't necessarily the most tactile sensitive mitts.

Apparently my also frozen Wisconsin mitts are the same....I don't care either way, either fh or bh. Beaded or not, no preference.

Latest posts