• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bee Cave TX?

DGtourist

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
New course not Austin Ridge Bible Church?

A buddy of mine just called me to tell me that he believes the city was putting in a new course in Central park in Bee Cave! He doesn't play, but said the tee pads were concrete and had giant rock markers with the #'s engraved on them. He said he couldn't remember seeing any baskets but he was running hard so he didn't pay too much attention.

some online research found that indeed the city was planning on putting one in. Park design. planned since 2007.

I was just wondering / hoping that someone else can fill in more of the picture for me. I'll drive out there in the morning and see what i see.

I remember hearing about this one last year, but i thought it fell through or something (im pretty sure i made that part up and that it wasnt something i heard). however, if you check out google's maps in satellite view you can see the obvious concrete tee boxes that are there, so something is happening there. (and who knows how recent google's maps are)

im gonna have to check it out as well...

who knew bee caves was gonna start loving disc golf?!? hopefully, the Ridge started the trend...

I remember hearing about this one last year, but i thought it fell through or something (im pretty sure i made that part up and that it wasnt something i heard). however, if you check out google's maps in satellite view you can see the obvious concrete tee boxes that are there, so something is happening there. (and who knows how recent google's maps are)

im gonna have to check it out as well...

who knew bee caves was gonna start loving disc golf?!? hopefully, the Ridge started the trend...

Are you gonna go out the tomorow? We could meet up if you want. If not, I'll just take good notes. Really its a can't miss, if the course isn't close to being up yet i can, maybe see if there are any workers I can get the dirt from and then go get in a round at Austin Ride Bible Church.

Are you gonna go out the tomorow? We could meet up if you want. If not, I'll just take good notes. Really its a can't miss, if the course isn't close to being up yet i can, maybe see if there are any workers I can get the dirt from and then go get in a round at Austin Ride Bible Church.

yeah, ill probably check it out in the morning maybe 9:30 or 10am. i can already see all the problems its gonna have. theres probably 3 holes that dont throw near their "trail system" (aka jogging trails) and more than half of them are made to throw over it. wow, thats gonna cause some headaches especially if the course becomes as popular as all the other south austin courses...

...of course if it gets as popular as all the other south austin courses then we'll have to deal with all the morons who wont stop littering...

Where abouts in Bee Cave is this course? Also, I heard Austin Ridge Bible course is out of commision due to renovations. Any truth to that?

Where abouts in Bee Cave is this course?

the course is just northwest of the 620 and 71 intersection, off of bee caves pkwy (which is different than bee caves rd, also known as 2244). check the links dgtourist had in his first post.

Also, I heard Austin Ridge Bible course is out of commision due to renovations. Any truth to that?

no, just two holes (15 & 16) dont have baskets (at most 4 will be closed: #s 15-18). they're adding a soccer field and another parking lot and they'll be back. judson is the expert on the course so maybe he can chime in when he's on.

the course is just northwest of the 620 and 71 intersection, off of bee caves pkwy (which is different than bee caves rd, also known as 2244). check the links dgtourist had in his first post.

no, just two holes (15 & 16) dont have baskets (at most 4 will be closed: #s 15-18). they're adding a soccer field and another parking lot and they'll be back. judson is the expert on the course so maybe he can chime in when he's on.

THanks for the info, that course in on my wish list to play, but this past weekend before we started to head out there, my buddy said he hurd two baskets were removed and the course was shut down temporarily. Is it as much fun as they say it is? What about the A and B holes, I hear they are a nice challenge mixed in around the middle of the game?

THanks for the info, that course in on my wish list to play, but this past weekend before we started to head out there, my buddy said he hurd two baskets were removed and the course was shut down temporarily. Is it as much fun as they say it is? What about the A and B holes, I hear they are a nice challenge mixed in around the middle of the game?

oh yeah, its a great course. very hard to follow for first-timers so bring a map. its still worth it to check out even if you dont get to play #15 & 16, but you'll have to come back again to play those as well. just a warning, it is a pretty hard/challenging course and a handful of holes have those "get lucky" shots on them so be prepared. also, be prepared to get winded with all the walking especially with all the ups & downs. A and B are like nothing the state of Texas has ever seen before. they are freaking amazing just because of the elevation. A is extreme uphill (more like up-mountain) and B is extreme downhill with an amazing view from the tee box.

i should probably put a review of it up but i like to see the good austin area courses in all the different seasons (winter, summer, etc) before i give them my full review (especially since i will play them a billion times).

...oh, and the tee boxes are dirt/woodchips, but not too bad if you expect them to be imperfect

Last edited:
yeah, ill probably check it out in the morning maybe 9:30 or 10am. i can already see all the problems its gonna have. theres probably 3 holes that dont throw near their "trail system" (aka jogging trails) and more than half of them are made to throw over it. wow, thats gonna cause some headaches especially if the course becomes as popular as all the other south austin courses...

well it is a park course :gross:
there's no way ill be out there that early, but i will keep an eye out for ya when I go out. I am looking forward to another round at Austin Rudge no matter how it plays out.

UPDATE: the park was opened oct 15, 2009, but the disc golf is NOT open. they are currently dealing with some legal issues and hope to open it in the near future. i'll try to keep up with it and post here when i have any new info.

Thanks for the update Bevo. Looking forward to another disc golf course near Austin, and hopefully it sticks with the current trend of being a fun course to play. I've played some good courses that are in parks so I'm not going to hold that against it. I'm not exactly sure of your definition of park course DGTourist, but most of my favorite courses in/near Austin are within park boundaries like Pease, Circle C, East Metro, Wilco. However, most of those courses are fairly separated from the rest of the park with the exception of Pease. Even the 9 holer out in Marble Falls at Westside Park and the one in Georgetown at San Gabriel Park that are closer to the parks' center are a blast to play. Overall, I'm definitely a fan of the park courses around here, and without them there would be very little disc golf in Austin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Bevo. Looking forward to another disc golf course near Austin, and hopefully it sticks with the current trend of being a fun course to play. I've played some good courses that are in parks so I'm not going to hold that against it. I'm not exactly sure of your definition of park course DGTourist, but most of my favorite courses in/near Austin are within park boundaries like Pease, Circle C, East Metro, Wilco. However, most of those courses are fairly separated from the rest of the park with the exception of Pease. Even the 9 holer out in Marble Falls at Westside Park and the one in Georgetown at San Gabriel Park that are closer to the parks' center are a blast to play. Overall, I'm definitely a fan of the park courses around here, and without them there would be very little disc golf in Austin.

I see the point you are making. I've always thought you can play on park grass anywhere be it Wyoming Washington or Texas and get pretty much the same vibe. Once the course leaves that manicured for family picnics grassy area the character of the area is finally allowed to become a part of the disc golf mix. For me, its those areas that make traveling to play more interesting.

Marble Falls (which I have been working on a review for) does much more with the design than the typical "park" course that only finds a giant tree to aim for. I had a great time out there. The only ones I can think of that fit this narrow definition are like zilker and San Gabe (which I don't think was as fun as marble falls).

Wilco, Circle C, and East Metro maybe in parks but I don't think you'll be seeing any soccer practices on a fairway anytime soon. Although I have seen a few soccer teams at the C in their own areas. And there is a small part toward that finds the parky area, but IMO, that's not a good thing.

In Cheyenne where I am from the main and for many years the ONLY disc golf course is out in a "natural" area (which I do believe the city, not the people, call a park). For a long time people would talk about how much better Edora is and say that its "because its in a park" IMO Edora is better than Dry Creek. But I say its better because it has more disc golf specific bells and whistles. When I think about all the great park courses I've played, Like Edora, Lakewood, or whatever, I certainly remember the towns they are in but if I went hole by hole it might not be so clear. Maybe the definition is in shared multiuse versus dedicated multiuse or dedicated. All I know is it sucks having to skip holes because a touch football game, or a picnic or a family lollygagging with their dogs is in the way, and that this happens more often on courses that fit the lazy and easy to say definition of a "park" course.

Back to the topic of the thred.... I cant help but wonder what those legal issues are. Does the city need a few magic paragraphs in thir town charter to get the baskets in? It kinda seems odd to me. Also I wonder when the boxes were poured? Is it possible that its been awhile?

Even courses that are located in mixed use park areas can be good courses and fun to play, it's just a matter of having to share the course and inform other park users of what's going on. I've had to do this with people playing catch or kick out at Pease a few times and it's always because they don't know what's going on or the fact that they're even in a "disc golf" fairway (whatever that is). At first I'll wave to them with my disc and hold it up in the air. Most don't realize what I'm doing, but some do and will mosey out of the way. For the others I will jog up to them and explain what's going on then jog back and tee off. It's a small price to pay to be able to play disc golf in locations like Pease park, which is located in downtown Austin. And it's even better when it's a well designed course like Pease. Even a course like Bart, which I would consider an extreme case of mix-use, is fun to play and a well designed course...I just wish it were maintained. However, I have heard that it's next on the "revamp list" after Searight so hopefully it will be better maintained once they clean it up.

Not every park has enough land to have a separate disc golf area and having a mixed use course is better than the alternative, which is to not have a course to play in that location. Even with the minor annoyances of the Pease pedestrians, it's still one of my favorite courses to play, second only to Circle C, and its central location is a part of that reason. It would be a different story if I had to travel 30 minutes outside of the city to play a mixed use course. The fact of the matter is that centrally located land is worth a lot of money. Most land has been sold to private interests and most of the public parks in Austin are not big enough to even have a dgc on their grounds. I am extremely grateful that they were able to squeeze such an amazing course into the centrally located Pease park, and for that matter Bartholomew. I don't mind sharing the land with other taxpayers and it really doesn't bother me to have to explain what's going on to the few clueless people that end up wandering into the fairway.

And now back to the new Bee Cave course...I'm curious about the legal issues as well. I wonder if it has to do with getting some kind of insurance for safety purposes. I actually heard that the baskets were in at some point, but they quickly pulled them because apparently they only had 1 out of the 2 legal approvals that they needed.

This is a nice hill country course with mulch tee boxes and good variety. It's on Cuernavaca off of Bee Caves Rd. Another good Houck design. I believe it has 21 holes with dramatic elevation changes on some holes. It is not my favorite in the Austin area. I like Wilco, Circle C, Circle R and Twin Parks.

My god, do you Austin guys ever stop with the courses!!?? Man I can't wait to get out there! Flying out March 8th, hope to play all that weekend.

*backswing

Latest posts