• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beech Mountain, NC

Peter S

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Has anyone played the new layout at Beech Mountain, NC this season? Only 2 reviews on DGCR and they are from last year. It appears the course is free and a new layout. Chairlift ride not required.

I wonder if it is worthy to play while in the Boone area. We plan to play
Ashe County park, Jefferson, NC // Highland Hills in North Wilkesboro, NC
Winged Deer in Johnson City, TN // Warriors Path state park in Kingsport, TN // Cherokee Park in Morristown, TN // Morristown Kiwanis DGC in Morristown, TN

Would Beech Mtn be considered in this class of high rated/reviewed courses?

I don't know about Beech mountain, but I'm worn out just thinking about some of those courses. You'll be tired after this trip!

Why isn't Harmon Hills on your list? That's the course you need to think about, not Beech Mountain.

You'll be ****ing up big time if you don't go to HH.
Scrap the Winged Deer / Warriors Path day and just go to Harmons!
DSCJNKY

beech mtn

let's get this out of the way early, craig. yes, i did mirror your user name:) i created a login solely to review beech mtn from last month, because the new layout had nothing to do with the two reviews on dgcr. i just didn't get around to it. so, i went there for a lazy downhill day, didn't even bring any water. even with one lift ride to the top, there was a fair amount of traversing and uphills. fun course, but save for a few downhill bombs, i'm not sure it's worth it. navigation was so-so (one or two holes were misnumbered). lost one disc because it's a blind shot over one fairway and a set of trees landing on another fairway with waist-high grass. good views though.

Has anyone played the new layout at Beech Mountain, NC this season? Only 2 reviews on DGCR and they are from last year. It appears the course is free and a new layout. Chairlift ride not required.

Winged Deer in Johnson City, TN // Warriors Path state park in Kingsport, TN // Cherokee Park in Morristown, TN // Morristown Kiwanis DGC in Morristown, TN

I think I'd just play Ashe County four times.

let's get this out of the way early, craig. yes, i did mirror your user name:) i created a login solely to review beech mtn from last month, because the new layout had nothing to do with the two reviews on dgcr.

Great name MB! :clap:

I don't know that Beech Mountain would be at the caliber of the others on this list but I can tell you that Ashe Co. Park and Highland Hills are defnitely worth your time!!!!

Here are the big 3 you gotts play, the others are just a bonus:
1. Harmon Hills... currently rated #10 on DGCR
2. Ashe County... consistently in the Top 50
3. Cherokee Park... definitely not as good as the other 2 above... but better than the rest of the courses on your list.

DSCJNKY

Here's a good video of Ashe County... the dude that wins is a baller! :)
DSCJNKY

I had Harmon Hills on the list, off the list so many times. Plan for now is to do 1 through 18 & skip the last 9. As a while level player rated around 898, we do not want to kill ourselves or a whole day there. Not much pictures or vidoes that I could find of Harmon Hills so we were on the fence for a while. Since it is or was a top 10 on DGCR for a while it is in my wish list.

Was wondering about Beech just because it is so close to where we will be staying.

revised:
Monday 9/8 IDGC
Tues 9/9 Hippo
Wed 9/10 CK out White Columns Inn, Drive to rental home. PK? Richmond Hill in Asheville, NC.
Thursday 9/11 Ashe County park, Jefferson, NC + Highland Hills in North Wilkesboro, NC (if time).
Fri 9/12 Harmon Hills + Winged Deer in Johnson City, TN + Warriors Path state park in Kingsport, TN if time?
Sat 9/13- Scenic drive on Blueridge
Sun 9/14- Scenic drive on Blueridge
Monday 9/15 Cherokee Park in Morristown, TN + Morristown Kiwanis DGC in Morristown, TN? (2 hour drive) or Highland Hills if missed 9/11
Tues 9/16? Winged Deer in Johnson City, TN+ Warriors Path state park in Kingsport, TN if missed 9/12. pack up/clean cabin
Wed 9/17 Check out of rental by 10:00am. Drive to Glen C. in Hickory, NC. check into hotel.
Thursday 9/18 – Charlotte, NC for Hornets Nest and R.L. Smith.
Friday 9/19- ck out of hotel. play Renny and Plantation Ruins. Drive back towards home.

Wow... that's quite a trip...

Where is the rental home? Is that where you're basing day trips out of? For example, you'll go to Ashe and Highland Hills and then go back to the cabin. Then the next day go to Harmons and Warriors Path and then back to the cabin...?

If so, that all look doable. If not, you have a lot of backtracking and zig zagging in your routing plans.

DSCJNKY

revised:
Sat 9/13- Scenic drive on Blueridge
Sun 9/14- Scenic drive on Blueridge
Thursday 9/18 – Charlotte, NC for Hornets Nest and R.L. Smith.
Friday 9/19- ck out of hotel. play Renny and Plantation Ruins. Drive back towards home.

You may want to skip 2 full days on the Blueridge. I've spent thousands of mile on the parkway. It's an awsome road, but many people complain that it becomes repetitive (kickass repetitive), but still repetitive.

I strongly recommend grabbing lunch at the Pisgah Inn while on the parkway if it fits your schedule. http://www.pisgahinn.com/

For Charlotte courses, I'd pick Bradford or Nevin over R.L. Smith. But that's just my opinion.

Only 2 days in Charlotte at the end of the trip so we want to keep it a little light & save Nevin nightmare & other challenges for December.

Blueridge will include some hikes or other distractions & not just the drive. Keep my wife happy with something other than disc golf for a few days:D

Wow... that's quite a trip...

Where is the rental home? Is that where you're basing day trips out of? For example, you'll go to Ashe and Highland Hills and then go back to the cabin. Then the next day go to Harmons and Warriors Path and then back to the cabin...?

If so, that all look doable. If not, you have a lot of backtracking and zig zagging in your routing plans.

DSCJNKY

Yeah Look closely at google maps to plan your drives while in the MTNs. The distances may be a bit decieving. I used to live in the Boone highcountry and grew up near N Wilkesboro. We used to see a lot of Fla drivers there, and they arent used to the twisting mtn roads. If your nnot accustomed to making good time on curvy roads it could make for a logistical nightmare.

I'll caution you, that Banner Elk is out in the middle of nowhere. I used to work and snowboard Beech and Sugar. For trips to Johnson City and N Wilkes staying in Boone proper makes a ton more sense. Your looking at a solid 30-45 min drive just to get back into Boone from Banner Elk. The best routes to JC and NW are along Hwy 421. There may be a cut through out of Banner Elk over to JC, but its gonna be a backcountry road. It'll be fun and pretty, but time consuming. Its also an easy 45 min drive between Boone and N Wilkes. Down the hill, it can be done in 30, but uphill will take longer.

Do this... Combine your Parkway drive with the trip over to West Jefferson. You can get on the Parkway in Boone and take it over to West Jefferson (Ashe Co.), then take either Hwy 18 or 421 down to N Wilkesboro (whichever makes the most sense, I'd have to look at the map).

If you wanna PM me the addresses of the parks, I'll try to lay it out efficiently as possible for ya. The NC mtns are beautiful driving trips, but that much curvy driving combined with multiple DG rounds is gonna wear ya'll out.