• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best 2 Disc Combo for High School Students

My vote goes to the aviar/shark combo. When I started, every disc I threw went 150 feet. I got the Innova 150g starter set and it was the shark that actually flew like a disc should fly. Busted 200 feet with it, then 225. I was hooked.

Anyone that wants more can add a buzzz to their bag. Aviar/shark/buzzz sounds like a great starting point.

I'll be the minority and suggest that beginners don't really need a traditional deep-rim putter like an Aviar. A faster, low-profile putter or midrange will get the job done, and will be a better flyer on full throws for someone with wobbly form.

Of course it's good to give players something that will help their long-term form. But you've got to keep people interested.

I would go with a Leopard3 or Archangel for the driver. Classic Roc, XD or Colt for the putter.

Again, I've gotta point out that Vibram has already donated drivers. Why all the Leopard suggestions? I know the "Drivers" from Vibram will more likely be Laces than Traks, but still... I would really focus more on mids for beginners. Whether that be Sharks, Rocs, Stingrays, or Makos. Innova has a TON of great mids, and if these guys have a hook up for custom stamps, they have their choice! A Leopard is great for someone who already has a little experience and wants to step up. If you've never thrown more than a Wham-O in the playground or at the beach, even a Leopard is going to be a bit rough until you learn basic mechanics and release angle control.

I would also put out there that a Spider is a great neutral mid with a slightly smaller diameter that might match better with putters. But that's just my 2¢

Then I think a stingray is perfect. The shark is too overstable for the average high-schooler who isn't pursuing disc golf as a hobby.

This should have ended with Aviar/Shark. DX Sharks are not OS in lighter weights. Straight disc really at lower power (if thrown correctly).

Yea good point. I should clarify that Vibram sent me a box of 100 assorted discs from several major brands, most of which are drivers. Maybe we'll go with an Aviar and a Roc or Shark. I gradually moved away from the Roc myself but perhaps my bias shouldn't get in the way of my teaching.

Again, I've gotta point out that Vibram has already donated drivers. Why all the Leopard suggestions? I know the "Drivers" from Vibram will more likely be Laces than Traks, but still... I would really focus more on mids for beginners. Whether that be Sharks, Rocs, Stingrays, or Makos. Innova has a TON of great mids, and if these guys have a hook up for custom stamps, they have their choice! A Leopard is great for someone who already has a little experience and wants to step up. If you've never thrown more than a Wham-O in the playground or at the beach, even a Leopard is going to be a bit rough until you learn basic mechanics and release angle control.

I would also put out there that a Spider is a great neutral mid with a slightly smaller diameter that might match better with putters. But that's just my 2¢

I think people are still making that recommendation because the drivers that Vibram sent are a mixed bag from multiple manufactures. Not a bad thing if you want kids to sample but it might be nice when teaching if each student had a matching set.

Sounds like you've got a ton of answers already, but I'll just say that the Colt has a very shallow, easy-to-grip rim and flies straight, and IMHO would be a good disc for kids. The idea of a 150-class Leopard is probably good, as well.

I might look at the Stingray, it's understable enough to be beginner friendly and not super flippy. It is also sneakily long, my daughter who is 7 throws hers farther than any driver even her Diamond and 150 Leopard, as does my 65 year old dad with knee and shoulder issues. Crazy to see the old man launch that hubcap 250 when he can usually only throw a sidewinder 225.

At the school I teach at, we are planning on getting Millenium Omega and AuroraMS discs, if budget allows we will order some PolarisLS fairways too. These will be for grades 3 through 12.

Thanks to everyone for their well thought out contributions and recommendations. Yes I think some folks may have missed my second post stating the box Vibram sent has a mixture of brands (mostly drivers) and they range from Aviars to Nukes but a lot of used Sidewinders and Valkyries and such in there as well.

I think we're going to go with an Aviar/Leopard combo in DX. The DX Leopards should wear in quickly and I think it will be good for the kids to see see the change in stability as this happens. We probably have enough random mids in the donated discs to loan one to each kid during practices. Hopefully they'll be hooked and want to buy their own.

We have been working with Johnny Sias and he said he may be donating some discs as well. Big thanks to him for all of his help and support during this process. It's been an honor to work with him and I'm excited to be bringing this sport to all of the kids at our school and the surrounding community.

Can't go wrong with the Aviar for sure. I personally would steer kids or any beginner away from any Drivers. A neutral or US mid would help them to better skill building from the start. Not to mention blunt nose discs are a bit safer

Latest posts