• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best basket for the buck.

Connor Jones

International Hair Champion
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have about 18-20 acres at my disposal,not my personal land,but the privileges of using it as I please.

What's the best basket for the dollar,we have one portable target,but would probably like to get some more,so,input?

Discraft chainstars are by far the cheapest for the quality.

that is if you are looking for a rigid weather proof basket.

If not then go with the cheapo insteps

discraft chainstars dont cath that well. if you want a portable basket i suggest the lightning db5 or innova portable. you can also but the regular innova with a portable base

Doesn't the regular innova portable only have one set of chains?

The Innova Discatcher Sport only has one set of chains. However it's a cheap and easy modification to add an inner ring. Mine works great and has weathered very well outside for over six years. Price is right too.

discraft chainstars dont cath that well. if you want a portable basket i suggest the lightning db5 or innova portable. you can also but the regular innova with a portable base

What!? Are you sure you're talking about chainstars?- the ones with the staggered chains? Because they're known, even advertised on gggt as the best catching device widely available.

What!? Are you sure you're talking about chainstars?- the ones with the staggered chains? Because they're known, even advertised on gggt as the best catching device widely available.

If it doesn't have Innova written on it, he thinks it's garbage. 8000+ posts, and it seems he hasn't learned a thing.

Chainstars and Mach Vs look to be the same basket (one's Discraft, the other DGA) and catch better than any of the other baskets I've thrown at. I think the Mach V is slightly cheaper than the Chainstar. If you would include your budget, it might be easier to give you a better answer.

Last edited:
sorry misread the question, if you are going cheap, I would just build your own. you can find some cheap laundry baskets at walmart and some chains at the home despot. this is the best way to go and it will save you hundreds.

Last edited:
Considering the land you have, you might want to think about multiple baskets rather than one "really good" basket. That way you can throw back and forth at new targets and cut down on "wasted" practice time. I purchased an Innova DiscCatcher Sport and I'm really pleased with it. In fact, I'll be taking it to college to pair up with my friend's Innova SkillShot for practice times. The Sports are usually $170ish, and you can add inner chains easily for $25. So, if you're looking at a $300+ regulation basket, you can almost get 2 good practice baskets for just $100 more.

Just something to consider :thmbup:

If it doesn't have Innova written on it, he thinks it's garbage. 8000+ posts, and it seems he hasn't learned a thing.

Chainstars and Mach Vs look to be the same basket (one's Discraft, the other DGA) and catch better than any of the other baskets I've thrown at. I think the Mach V is slightly cheaper than the Chainstar. If you would include your budget, it might be easier to give you a better answer.

mach v's are different and catch better than chainstars. i dont like the chainstars as i have had too many putts hit the center pole and bounce out. thats never happened on an innova basket

Chainstars and Mach Vs are good baskets, but I think the newest model of Discatcher is a little more consistent in what it catches, the Gateway Titan (again the newer models of it) is noticeably better than any of those, and the Spiderweb 3s are pretty comparable to the Titans.

Ching chainmaster. about $200. best catching bastket . catches better than the Mach2,3,and 5. cheaper, lighter, and portable.

I recently bought the Lightning DB5... and For about 220 it is worth it. Great quality, need to spot weld it though... and you can anchor it down. I feel it is modeled after the Innova skillshot baskets... and I mostly play on Mach 5's, So there is a difference in where you play I feel... and what you want. but good buy all the same.

As far as portable baskets I'd go with the DGA M14. You can buy some chains from a local hardware store and stagger them as inner chains to match the more expensive Mach series (there are many threads here on how to do this properly if you need help). You can always buy a locking collar and put it in the ground as well.

There are several threads on this topic. It depends what you are looking for and what your budget is. I need light weight easily storable, so the best basket for me would not be the same as a person who wants to keep a portable in their backyard 24/7. Consider a single chain basket and add a second row of chains for $30.

sorry misread the question, if you are going cheap, I would just build your own. you can find some cheap laundry baskets at walmart and some chains at the home despot. this is the best way to go and it will save you hundreds.

Check out the homemade basket thread and unique/odd baskets thread, there are some nice cheap homemade basket ideas.

I got an R-14 basket and modified it with extra chains. It is now an R-21 for about a chunk of change cheaper than a basket with a similar amount of chains.

Going to be over 150, though.

mach v's are different and catch better than chainstars. i dont like the chainstars as i have had too many putts hit the center pole and bounce out. thats never happened on an innova basket

You must be high. Innova discatcher pros with 2nd chains spit center putts all the time. ask any pro who played worlds at lemon lake this year.

all 3 courses played by the open men had them and they sucked.