• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best basket for your buck

AdamE

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm working with a guy who wants me to help him design a pay to play course on his property. Baskets are expensive at $300 each and coming up with funds could take a while even if we do fundraisers. It might be tough to find sponsors since the land is so far out of the way. So I wanted to see if there are any other cost effective baskets out there.

I was looking around and noticed the Discatcher Sport has 18 chains and is galvanized. It looks like it just needs a ring welded to the top so more chains can be added and a way to secure it to the ground and you've got a good, cost effective basket.

Does the outer ring of 18 chains make it not catch well even if chains are added? Quality doesn't come cheap and cheap doesn't make for a good course so maybe this is a bad idea. I wanted to get the others thoughts and opinions of others with experience here.

What's the best basket for your buck?

All the new courses that seem to be put in around here are getting Innova Discatcher Pros. I imagine they're the current lowest bidder for a Championship level basket.

I was looking around and noticed the Discatcher Sport has 18 chains and is galvanized. It looks like it just needs a ring welded to the top so more chains can be added and a way to secure it to the ground and you've got a good, cost effective basket.

Does the outer ring of 18 chains make it not catch well even if chains are added? Quality doesn't come cheap and cheap doesn't make for a good course so maybe this is a bad idea. I wanted to get the others thoughts and opinions of others with experience here.

What's the best basket for your buck?

I have a Discatcher Sport and it catches fine with no chains added. I even think it catches better than the Chainstars at the local course. They won't be as durable as a $400 basket, but if your course is pay-to-play then you shouldn't have as many chuckers out there messing with them.

You should also take a look at the DGA Mach II.

Did you look at my best portable basket thread?

I think you need to look at DB-5 and the disc nation baskets.

The discnation baskets are lower cost and still look and catch great.

Are you guys talking about the disc nation freedom 16? The liberty 24 at $280 is only like $20 cheaper than what we can get from Innova unless it's cheaper to buy in bulk. Although that is still a bit of money when you're looking at 18 or 19 of them.

Keep an eye out for specials, every once in a while DiscNation does big discounts and you can get a decent percentage off that price.

If you are designing a pay to play course, i would not be happy to see brand new low tier baskets. Unless the course itself is AMAZING. Just my $.02. But the Innova Disc Catcher pro, or equivalent by Arachnid, Disc craft, etc would be great. I understand 18 baskets can be a lot, but it just seems like for a pay to play it'd be a waste of money to buy a cheap basket, and then later on want to update it and end up spending more. I have a Disc Catcher sport, and although it is a nice practice basket. I wouldn't really want it as my permanent course baskets.

I think you would be best served to at least choose a championship basket from this list. That is at least what I would do. (Disc Nation Liberty is ~$300 each so about halfway between Disc Catcher Sport and Pro)

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_targets_011513.pdf

Also, Do any of the basket manufacturers have discount programs? It seems like buying 18 at once would be a huge benefit to them, and they might be able to cut deals? I don't know.

Agree with wake911 - If the course is pay to play it should be something good and something that the owner would want to get exposure via holding tournaments. Only use PDGA approved championship level baskets.

Gateway Titan 24s are reasonable and catch well. Gateway Bulleyes are nice too, but, your friends would disown you most likely for installing the Bullseye . I picked up one of each in 2011 when they were having a FB sale.

Did you look at my best portable basket thread?

I think you need to look at DB-5 and the disc nation baskets.

I agree with the DB-5. Don't be fooled by them only having 18 outer chains. I've played them on about half a dozen courses and they catch well and really seem to be heavy duty. Apparently there's also a DB-3 out now... I think that the difference is in the stand/base/pole. The best price that I found was on discgolfstation and they do discount for larger quantities. If the course that I'm proposing gets approved, these will the the baskets that we use.

And with the inner ring on the top, it would be easy enough to add more chains to the DB5 if needed.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Id start with the less expensive baskets you can get away with...with the idea as the course builds traffic and starts creating revenue you can upgrade.

Flyboy has a mixed bag of baskets. Granted it is one of the top courses in the world but they still use a variety of baskets.

Durability, disc catchability and lowest price?

Lightning DB-5, hands down. $199

Some of the baskets at Joralemon Park are 6 years old & rust free.

8088_g.jpg

Last edited:

8088_g.jpg

The DB-5 in my backyard is three years old and just like new. It catches as good as the baskets at the park. If you know you will use it, it's worth the investment.

we just put in a course in lodi,ca.,innova did give us a discount on purchasing 19 baskets (we wanted a practice basket to warm up), and we saved on shipping by picking them up at the factory

8088_g.jpg

Is it just me, or is that basket modified in more ways than one? The obvious thing is the nice hole number sign that was added. But that sure does look like more than 18 chains to me. Looks like someone added an inner layer of chains to me. I even like the red/reflective tape on the pole. :D

Latest posts