• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses in West PA

dickyp1113

Par Member
Ok so im goin back home to PA for about a week. Right outside of Pittsburgh. Never have i played disc golf in my home state! What are the best courses in the west side of Pennsylvania?

Raptor i like your icon thing. And ive looked at both of those so thats promising. What about two mile extension? either you guys play that yet?

Haven't made the haul out there from east of the city, but I keep meaning to. Keep hearing good things about it. It's a Dropcho course, it demands to be played.

Go Pens.

An Embarrassment of Riches

So, basically, there are a whole bunch of high-quality courses (think 4.0 rated on this site) within a two-hour drive of Pittsburgh. My favorite is Deer Lakes. It's beautiful, challenging, fun to play, and very well-designed. Here's a list (in no particular order) of courses by category within 2 hours of Pittsburgh:

CHAMPIONSHIP (Par 60+):
1) Deer Lakes Park
2) Moraine State Park
3) Pymatuning State Park
4) Seven Springs Mountain Resort
5) Orange Crush(?), Fairmont, WV
6) Black Course, Moundsville, WV

CHAMPIONSHIP 9-Holes (would be 4+ stars if 18 holes)
7) Two Mile Run Extension (9 holes)
8) Slippery Rock University...Front 9 to be installed later this month. Will be initially wide open and awesome.

ALMOST CHAMPIONSHIP
9) IUP College Lodge
10) Knob Hill Park
11) Seth Burton Memorial, Fairmont, WV

SENTIMENTAL OLD COURSE that's not 4-star quality.
12) Schenley Park

Looks like you have some homework to learn about these courses...or you could just go to Deer Lakes!

So, basically, there are a whole bunch of high-quality courses (think 4.0 rated on this site) within a two-hour drive of Pittsburgh. My favorite is Deer Lakes. It's beautiful, challenging, fun to play, and very well-designed. Here's a list (in no particular order) of courses by category within 2 hours of Pittsburgh:

CHAMPIONSHIP (Par 60+):
1) Deer Lakes Park
2) Moraine State Park
3) Pymatuning State Park

8) Slippery Rock University...Front 9 to be installed later this month. Will be initially wide open and awesome.

ALMOST CHAMPIONSHIP
9) IUP College Lodge
10) Knob Hill Park

12) Schenley Park

Looks like you have some homework to learn about these courses...or you could just go to Deer Lakes!

This^^

Two Mile Run is a great 9 hole course. With 2 par 5's and a 35 par, twice through for 18 holes is a challenge. The one perk to this course is on the second nine you know the layout and will help with your shot selection. If you get the chance to get out to it, I would recommend the trip.

geez I shoulda wrote a review.

I too agree that if you are interested in playing two mile run extension, it is well worth it. The last time I played it, it was a bit overgrown, and it is a new course this year so it is not broken in, but it is a thoughtful, challenging design. Every time I play a round there, I swear that I've played 18 holes and not nine. Do yourself a favor and make sure you stay on the fairway!

Of course you cannot go wrong with Deer Lakes (not exactly on the west side of PGH), Moraine State Park, or Knob Hill. Moraine and Knob are closed to the public on August 7 and 8 for the PFDO.

Another course to consider is Thompson Park in East Liverpool, OH. There is 27 holes there, although the "outback 9" (the 3rd nine) doesn't seem to be completely finished and was very frustrating (I would skip it honestly). The 2nd nine has some fantastic holes in the woods. Beware that navigation at this course is difficult and frustraing the first time through.

If I were to choose only one course to play it would be Deer Lakes, seeing as it is a top rated course. If you need any help finding these courses or need a guide, PM me. Just another excuse to get out and throw.

CHAMPIONSHIP (Par 60+):
1) Deer Lakes Park
2) Moraine State Park
3) Pymatuning State Park

ALMOST CHAMPIONSHIP
9) IUP College Lodge
10) Knob Hill Park

12) Schenley Park

This is a good breakdown, and has some courses on it that I've yet to play. Here is how I rank the ones I've played.

Moraine
Deer Lakes
Knob
2MRX
(big gap)
IUP
Schenley

That's coming from a rec level guy though. I've never played the blues at Deer Lakes. But the middle tees at Moraine are IMO much better than the middle tees at Deer Lakes. The shots required are more varied. Both are great courses, but I think Moraine edges Deer Lakes out.

I really didn't enjoy IUP when I went there. The baskets were in the short position, but almost half the holes are just chucking a disc across a field or down a pretty wide road. I was told it was of similar quality to Deer Lakes and Moraine and it is nowhere near them, IMO. It is beautiful and well kept, but boring for solo golf.

Knob is a fantastic par 3 course. I live about the same distance from Deer Lakes and Knob and find myself going to Knob a little more often.

I loved 2MRX, but I'm not really sure where I'd rank it since I've only played it once so far. It reminded me very much of Moraine's terrain and layout.

I really gotta agree with vslaugh....perfect analysis of western PA

Deer Lakes really does the best job of combining amenities, layout, challenge, maitenance, and fun for the best overall experience Ive ever had on a DG course

Moraine offers immense challenge and a plethora of long line shaping holes....what it lacks in stunning views (outside of 15) it makes up for beautiful DG shots...probably the best long line shaping course out there with over the top, R, L, under. through gap, decisions throughout the entire course.

Black Course, WV is the best open air elevation course you can imagine and has the best on top of the world shot in DG #18 as well as several other very long big arm holes over the crest of a mountain..also some great technical holes to break up the big arm blitz.

Orange Crush, WV has the craziest and most extreme back 9 diving down mountain chutes and climbing back up steep wooded slopes and the tighest technical long from nine all of it playing along the mountainside to make for one of the most insanely difficult and challenging courses to play and walk...(and I have played Diamond X in Montana)

Those are 4 course you must play if your anywhere near Pittsburgh....the rest are just the gravy on that big 4 servings of Meat Loaf.

Knob Hill is a solid course but nothing special compared to the aforementioned

IUP College Lodge...easily the most pleasant and beautiful round....9 ace friendly holes and 9 spectacular holes including 2 down an old ski slope and 1 plunge down the backside of the mountain through dense woods and then the prettiest tree hallway hole you may ever see. Doesnt have the most challenge over 18 holes but I'd take 9 of the holes on this course over most 18 hole layouts Ive played...the easier 9 holes are just a fun extra.

Pymatuning deserves more attention as its a great mostly open air course next to a lake with some nice woods holes and some great multi shot holes where the emphasis is on placement and execution..I think it really needs to be noticed if it was in Michigan or Kentucky it would be more well known.

2MRX is a really cool niner with 5 amazing holes including 2 that you certainly have never seen before anywhere else....#4 and #6 I promise you that youve never played a hole like these 2 anywhere on this earth. Trust me.

Seven Springs is a dandy ski hill course with the added bounus of 2 lake holes

I put a vote in for Schenley just for the vibe and energy and the DG there is quite underrated IMO....gets knocked on here for playing too close to other fairways and being crowded but its really a great par 3 course if you play it at the right time of day

Thompson in Ohio is a weird course a front 9 that is easy cheesey but then the flavor changes dramatically for the next 18.......try to hook up with a local or get a map...another course that I think deserves some more attention.

Seth Burton a great Park setting course that employs a fast hillside throughout.....kind of monotonous in the ever left to right slope but its a fun and challenging course nonetheless and Orange Crush is on the same propery.

I know nothing about Slippery Rock but if J Gary Dropchko is involved its on my radar.

To be fair, it seems to me like there's about a 50/50 split among Pittsburgh players when it comes to Moraine vs. Deer Lakes. Everyone seems to have a different reason for liking one over the other, so you really can't go wrong.

To be fair, it seems to me like there's about a 50/50 split among Pittsburgh players when it comes to Moraine vs. Deer Lakes. Everyone seems to have a different reason for liking one over the other, so you really can't go wrong.

Basically Deer Lakes offers a few chances to grip and rip while Moraine tediously demands more of you as a DGer....I loved both courses....Moraine was more of a grind which can be pleasurable while Deer Lakes had a bit more fun factor.

Another differnce is the terrain...Deer Lakes is open low cut grass and hardwoods....Moraine is well its hard to describe the terrain at Morraine its not nearly as pretty but makes for great DG.

Both have signature hole 15s....Moraine huge view downhill and Deer Lakes tight downhill over a pond. Stellar

Basically Deer Lakes offers a few chances to grip and rip while Moraine tediously demands more of you as a DGer....I loved both courses....Moraine was more of a grind which can be pleasurable while Deer Lakes had a bit more fun factor.

Another differnce is the terrain...Deer Lakes is open low cut grass and hardwoods....Moraine is well its hard to describe the terrain at Morraine its not nearly as pretty but makes for great DG.

Both have signature hole 15s....Moraine huge view downhill and Deer Lakes tight downhill over a pond. Stellar

I kind of agree with you that Moraine is more restrictive, but I think your view of Deer Lakes is through rose-colored glasses. I love playing there, I go there often, but the water problem is really quite severe on a few holes. I _hate_ it when I get in the deep mud on 3 or 16. And yeah, you can take casual relief, but it doesn't help much as you'll be moving far away from the hole to get out of the mud.

Tunnel fairway + terrible stance from mud/water = unhappy Beable.

Nit picking at this point, though. They're both awesome. And Moraine has weird OB, but no bad mud.

I kind of agree with you that Moraine is more restrictive, but I think your view of Deer Lakes is through rose-colored glasses. I love playing there, I go there often, but the water problem is really quite severe on a few holes. I _hate_ it when I get in the deep mud on 3 or 16. And yeah, you can take casual relief, but it doesn't help much as you'll be moving far away from the hole to get out of the mud.

Nit picking at this point, though. They're both awesome. And Moraine has weird OB, but no bad mud.

Not to mention 6, 14, 15...
Luckily, thanks to global warming or something, most of the mud has dried up. Even right by the lake. 16 is the only really bad part, and it's avoidable if you shoot off to the left, which is closer to the hole anyway.

Raptor, are you aware of the path around the bottom of 15? I wasn't until a few months ago. It helps a lot. It's between the red and white tees, IIRC.

Forgot all about that random weird OB on Moraine cost me a possible birdie...the locals I tagged along with were quick to dampen my spirit when they said "ahhh too bad your in the rubber moat....I was like wtf? wtf is a rubber moat ohhhh thats a rubber moat..LOL"

I don't think I am seeing Deer Lakes through rose colored glasses more like I saw from a dry pair of sneakers LOL...I'm sure if it's wet those 2 holes might be a drag but man oh man come on its still a great course puddles and all.

Whats cracking me up is that you bust on me for loving Deer Lakes and I think it's funny how much you loved Tyler. Maybe it's true we dont appreciate whats in our own backyards. I personally am inviting you to come to the Lehigh Valley and I will give you a tour if your ever up for it.