• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best destination within a few hours of Erie, PA?

Qikly

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Howdy, folks.

I'm going to be visiting family this week in Erie, PA, and was looking for a few options to play on my way up and back. I'm driving between the Pittsburgh area and Erie. I don't mind going out of my way on the way back to Pittsburgh, but anything that is extremely so has to be worth it.

I was considering going up to Parma NY. Only drawback there is it would make for a four hour drive back to Pittsburgh after playing - doable, but pushing it for this trip. Roscoe Ewing is an option. Black Diamond in NY has a nice rating, but I'm not sure if it looks worth the three hour drive home. Anything I'm missing? Anyone been to Parma and think it's truly the bee's knees?

Bagging a new state (NY) would be a nice bonus, but it's not the priority. Really I'm looking for the best course I can visit.

Apparently, Erie is a bit of a DG wasteland. I wonder if Iacas is around anymore to give you some tips. He was tying to put a course up there. There are a couple of other members here that live in the area who will probably respond here shortly.

If you are willing to drive to the Cleveland area to play Roscoe or Parma, you should check out Punderson instead. It is by far the best course in the area IMO. I personally like it better than any of the Pittsburgh courses, including Moraine and Deer Lakes.

Also, FYI, Roscoe only has 16 holes in at the moment.

Yeah I've heard the same, and DGCR obviously backs that up. I'm just trying to figure out if its worth the extra driving hours to travel north to a place like Parma before heading back south, or if I should settle for a good but probably not great course that's less out of the way. Decisions, decisions...

If you are willing to drive to the Cleveland area to play Roscoe or Parma, you should check out Punderson instead. It is by far the best course in the area IMO. I personally like it better than any of the Pittsburgh courses, including Moraine and Deer Lakes.

Also, FYI, Roscoe only has 16 holes in at the moment.

Those are fighting words to a western PA boy. :D

Thanks for the head's up. I had not heard of Punderson before. From the pictures and reviews it looks awesome, and exactly the kind of course I'm looking for. Wish I would of asked this yesterday, as I probably would have headed there instead of Portage Lakes, Lincoln Park, etc. If the weather holds up Tuesday and Wednesday this is a strong contender for where I stop.

Do yourself a favor and play moraine and deer lakes. You won't regret it

Do yourself a favor and play moraine and deer lakes. You won't regret it

Already have, many times. I visit them whenever I'm in the area. I've hit most of the courses in western PA; just need input as I widen my radius.

There are a few nice courses in the Buffalo area. I'd check them out and get some wings while I was there.

There are a few nice courses in the Buffalo area. I'd check them out and get some wings while I was there.

Will do. I've been in my pre-discing days and have definitely gotten my share of wings!

Which reminds me, I need to hit Quaker State and Primani's while I'm home...

Just go to the Anchor or Duff's. Screw that Quaker St garbage. :D

I grew up with Quaker St! If I ever have better wings, I probably won't admit it. ;) Although the Locker Room, a local dive in my hometown, had hella good wings.

That said, Anchor Bar is pretty darn good.

I actually like Duff's better than the Anchor Bar. But then mine, or maybe Dinosaur B'cue's smoked wings are better than either. :p

Haha I like how anytime Buffalo is mentioned it becomes a wing discussion.... Black Diamond at Emery Park is a great course and worth the drive from Erie. Angry Apple at Darien State Park is nice. I've also heard good things about Hawk's Landing but haven't played there

Punderson is an awesome course. I actually think that the rating is a little deflated as it was only 9 holes for some time while really dragged the ratings down. Black diamond in NY was another course that I absolutely loved.

Haha I like how anytime Buffalo is mentioned it becomes a wing discussion.... Black Diamond at Emery Park is a great course and worth the drive from Erie. Angry Apple at Darien State Park is nice. I've also heard good things about Hawk's Landing but haven't played there

Yes, and I forget the name but Buffalo has a course with a big ravine down some holes. Course maintenance was weak, but the course itself had some great features and sweet holes. And isn't there a course on Beaver Island too? Sounds like a good warm up to wing night.

I'm from the Buffalo area. So of all the courses that you have mentioned. I'll break them down:

Hawk's Landing - Course is rated a 4 on here but in all reality its more of a 2.5-3. It's extremely tight, nothing plays more than 300ft, and some of the trees that you have to try and punch through are a little ridiculous. Doug the owner however, is awesome (he's the reason for the 4 rating on here). He has a little pro shop there to. Discs are limited to mostly discraft and innova.

Black Diamond - Might be worth the trip. Awesome course. The course needs a little bit of work still. The tees are not marked that great. Front nine is wooded back is more open. Even if you play the white tees your still going to be up for a challenge and your not going to miss much that the gold tees offer. This is gonna be the furthest south course near the buffalo area.

Chestnut Ridge - Don't go out of your way for this one. Dangerous course. Needs maintenance bad. Kids occasionally will sit in the ravine waiting for discs and run off with them. Oldest course in the Buffalo area though and has some Buffalo disc golf history there.

Beaver Island - Open and fun. Good elevation changes. A couple wooded holes. Wind! Plays over looking the niagara river. Closest to good wings (will discuss more later). Pay to play (you have to pay to get into the park). Read my review on the course and you'll be able to get around paying. My 3rd favorite course in the Buffalo area.

Angry Apple - This is gonna be wayyyy out of your way. They have a campground there though so if you wanted to spend the night you could. Probably my favorite course in the Buffalo area but I haven't played it in the summer at all and I know that the rough can just eat discs. Might not be a good course to play alone you first time.

Joseph Davis - A fun 27 hole course. Mildly wooded. Park is maintained very well. An older course to the Buffalo area but a good one. A very close 2nd to my favorite course in the Buffalo area.

Those are the courses worth mentioning for you. Good luck!

Now, onto the wings.

Anchor Bar - The birth place. This is where it all began. Great wings and good size wings too. Only one location.

Duffs - I always say to people, Anchor Bar was the birthplace but Duffs perfected it. There slogan of "our mild is their medium, our medium is their hot", couldn't be more true. Amazing though. Nice and crispy with the best Buffalo Sauce you'll ever sink your teeth into. And the wings are huge.

Quaker State - Shlt, disgusting, doesn't even compare. I can say that too because I live in Harrisburg PA now and work across the street from a Quakerstate. I even gave their wings a chance and ordered them twice. Just can't do it. Not after eating at Duffs.

I'd play the great Pittsburgh courses, Deer Lakes and Moriane with Knob Hill and Linbrook (only 9) as other options.

I've played all the Pittsburgh courses, folks. This is me trying to branch out.

I'm from the Buffalo area. So of all the courses that you have mentioned. I'll break them down:

Hawk's Landing - Course is rated a 4 on here but in all reality its more of a 2.5-3. It's extremely tight, nothing plays more than 300ft, and some of the trees that you have to try and punch through are a little ridiculous. Doug the owner however, is awesome (he's the reason for the 4 rating on here). He has a little pro shop there to. Discs are limited to mostly discraft and innova.

Black Diamond - Might be worth the trip. Awesome course. The course needs a little bit of work still. The tees are not marked that great. Front nine is wooded back is more open. Even if you play the white tees your still going to be up for a challenge and your not going to miss much that the gold tees offer. This is gonna be the furthest south course near the buffalo area.

Chestnut Ridge - Don't go out of your way for this one. Dangerous course. Needs maintenance bad. Kids occasionally will sit in the ravine waiting for discs and run off with them. Oldest course in the Buffalo area though and has some Buffalo disc golf history there.

Beaver Island - Open and fun. Good elevation changes. A couple wooded holes. Wind! Plays over looking the niagara river. Closest to good wings (will discuss more later). Pay to play (you have to pay to get into the park). Read my review on the course and you'll be able to get around paying. My 3rd favorite course in the Buffalo area.

Angry Apple - This is gonna be wayyyy out of your way. They have a campground there though so if you wanted to spend the night you could. Probably my favorite course in the Buffalo area but I haven't played it in the summer at all and I know that the rough can just eat discs. Might not be a good course to play alone you first time.

Joseph Davis - A fun 27 hole course. Mildly wooded. Park is maintained very well. An older course to the Buffalo area but a good one. A very close 2nd to my favorite course in the Buffalo area.

Those are the courses worth mentioning for you. Good luck!

Now, onto the wings.

Anchor Bar - The birth place. This is where it all began. Great wings and good size wings too. Only one location.

Duffs - I always say to people, Anchor Bar was the birthplace but Duffs perfected it. There slogan of "our mild is their medium, our medium is their hot", couldn't be more true. Amazing though. Nice and crispy with the best Buffalo Sauce you'll ever sink your teeth into. And the wings are huge.

Quaker State - Shlt, disgusting, doesn't even compare. I can say that too because I live in Harrisburg PA now and work across the street from a Quakerstate. I even gave their wings a chance and ordered them twice. Just can't do it. Not after eating at Duffs.

Dude, awesome info. I really appreciate it.

You confirmed my guess as to what Hawk's Landing was really about. I think if I opt to head north, Black Diamond will be the way to go. Right now I'm thinking I'll try to hit Punderson on the way up and one of these Buffalo courses on the way back.

As for the wings: it's been a long, long time since I've had Quaker St (close to 15 years), so I can't really defend them. There's definitely an element of nostalgia for me. But, I've been to the original, before they expanded so much (I had no idea how much they'd grown until looking just now), so I wonder if that has something to do with my fond memories. Expanding like they have rarely helps with quality.

Duffs is officially on the radar, first chance I get to visit.

Pymatuning State Park and Lake Shore are probably good bets. Oil City kind of frustrated me.

Latest posts