• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best DG in the Country (2017 Edition)

I live in the Chicago area, been to delwood (highland is still better) and we recently added squaw gold, but those two are over an hour away from each other. It's gotten better but not top ten worthy.

Highland is rated at 4.03 and Canyons is rated at 4.44, just sayin'

What was used for Reedsville, WI? The best I have been able to get was in the 400's only.

There ain't **** in the city of Chicago. If you said Joliet, that would make more sense. Also, The Canyons blows away Highland and its not close. Leaving off hotspots like Davenport, IA (Quad Cities) or Des Moines, IA and having Chicago on this list makes it just nonsensical. If you were in Chicago it would take over an hour drive to find a course that is 4 stars.

Folks, it's New's formula, not his judgment. This site has one, he has one, you can have one too, if you want to take the time.

"The city listed is either the biggest city near the X...."

Yes, but the goal was the best place to live for high quality disc golf. I had an internship in Chicago for 3 months and to try to get a round of disc golf in somewhere was absolutely BRUTAL.

she came up with the best places to live for high quality disc golf based on a 30 mile radius?

There are hundreds of cities that would be preferable over Chicago if you are looking to play a lot of disc golf.

There ain't **** in the city of Chicago. If you said Joliet, that would make more sense. Also, The Canyons blows away Highland and its not close. Leaving off hotspots like Davenport, IA (Quad Cities) or Des Moines, IA and having Chicago on this list makes it just nonsensical. If you were in Chicago it would take over an hour drive to find a course that is 4 stars.

I'm not trying to change your mind I just like highland better because it's a more challenging course (and yes I've played the blues at both courses. You have your opinion I have mine, but to say it's not even close is a stretch imo

...but those two are over an hour away from each other....

That's the trouble with using "within a radius". You tend to find places with a ring of courses out near the edge of the radius.

Use a radius of 125 miles and you'd think a boat in the middle of Lake Michigan is the best place.

The following is the Top 25 places for super high quality disc golf. If you don't like how this is done I super don't care it's a list it's made for us to argue about. So argue.

Well, in claiming that your list is a ranking of the top place for "super high quality" disc golf, you are advertising a ranking whose method really doesn't add up to that. However, it makes more sense given your number one and your location.

If you truly want to tease out the "super high quality" of a location, then you should start by not limiting it to 30 miles or using any component in your equation that simply counts the number of courses. Why would a course with a 2.5 rating be factored into such a calculation at all other than to just allow the quantity of courses to affect the ranking? Also, why would you care about overlap? Either a location fits the criteria or not?

With so many factors unrelated to quality in your formula, it almost looks like you designed it specifically to make one location look better than others . . . . .

A better way to measure would be simply counting the number of courses rated 3.75 or higher within a 60 mile radius. Why 60 miles? Because, in most cases, that is going to be about an hour drive. It is also a more realistic criteria for a traveling golfer which makes this method less about how awesome you think it is where you live as opposed to where you might like to travel to play. 60 miles also eliminates any Lake Michigan ferries.

So the admittedly incomplete, non-Charlotte-biased list that only counts high quality courses within 60 miles of a location comes up with:

1. Portland, ME 19
2. Denver 16
2. Lansing 16
4. Dallas 15
5. Philadelphia 13
6. Tahoe City 12
6. Charlotte 12
8. Hartford 11
8. Worcester 11
8. Milwaukee 11
11. Baltimore 10
12. Chicago 10
13. Detroit 10
14. Springfield, MA 9
14. Columbus, OH 9
14. Muskegon 9
14. Buffalo 9
18. Austin 8
19. Madison 8

Last edited:
Suck it DFW! CLT 4 lyfe! No really, DFW crew, I land in DFW at 5:55pm on Wednesday night. Where should I play that night (after I grab my rental car)?

Bear Creek, it's right next to the airport and it's closing on Sept 5. plays quickly so you should be able to finish before dark.

got a plan for the rest of your time? i highly suggest The Jaranator south of Dallas if you can get on the course. hit up the facebook page to see when it's available (private course) or send a message to Matt Jara.

If you truly want to tease out the "super high quality" of a location, then you should start by not limiting it to 30 miles or using any component in your equation that simply counts the number of courses. Why would a course with a 2.5 rating be factored into such a calculation at all other than to just allow the quantity of courses to affect the ranking? Also, why would you care about overlap? Either a location fits the criteria or not?

i too would like a higher minimum rating and don't understand why overlap would matter. i think including the number of courses in the calculation is good though. options are important and that should be factored into the score, but perhaps it's weighted a bit heavily.

Bear Creek, it's right next to the airport and it's closing on Sept 5. plays quickly so you should be able to finish before dark.

got a plan for the rest of your time? i highly suggest The Jaranator south of Dallas if you can get on the course. hit up the facebook page to see when it's available (private course) or send a message to Matt Jara.

i too would like a higher minimum rating and don't understand why overlap would matter. i think including the number of courses in the calculation is good though. options are important and that should be factored into the score, but perhaps it's weighted a bit heavily.
I wish I could get another round in Thursday before I fly out but my full day has meetings booked back to back.

My thought was that if you are looking for the number of high quality courses, then just list the number of high quality courses. I can usually only pay 3-4 courses, at most, on my typical trips so 100 courses rated below 3.75 is no lure to me. In fact, 3-4 4.5 courses is better for me no matter the total.

The Texas rankings should have an asterisk next to them. People from Texas always think their stuff is better. I mean...people who say Whataburger has the best burgers in the world are using a way different scale for rating things ;-)

I was with you until the Whataburger comment...

I said the same thing on the original thread - DFW players way overrate these courses. Heck I played a 2.5-star that had stray dogs and used needles all over and people hooking up with prostitutes in the parking lot.
Had nice teepads tho...