• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best discs for rollers

Champion is best for rollers imo.

Gator is a good sidearm roller. Eveything else have to play with, its like everything. Sometimes you might want to roll the most stable thing you can roll for straighter rolls or throw something flippy so you can get some S.

Whatever mold you choose, stick with firm plastics. The softer the plastic the quicker it will slow down. Softer plastic will also be more susceptible to obstacles and may not roll right over a branch or root for instance.

Rollers are tough to learn to trust, the more faith that the disc is going to do what it's told, the easier they are to work into your choices. And if you're just learning and don't have 10 DX stingrays to practice with you're going about learning the slow way. And if you're just learning and haven't watched the DGmonthly video of Joe Mela showing you how to throw a backhand roller at Seneca you're also learning the slow way. (I bet Joe still has a stingray in his bag . . . )

I'm definitely looking at the videos to learn how to throw rollers. I'll be taking several discs to the range this weekend for some practice...

I like a Champ Mamba for loooooonnnnnn air rollers that get out quite a bit before hitting the ground.

Forehand utility rollers are more of a Champ Firebird or Champ Gator depending on distance.

I love FH rolling a Z Nuke OS... for a loong straight roll
and I'm still learning backhand rollers, but for now I like a mongoose and star tern

for shorter coltrolled rollers I haven't a clue because I suck at those

I like to FH roll my Serpent to get out of trouble. Or in a heavily wooded greens w/o a clear line. Throw the disc on the ground, vertically; perpendicular to the plane, and plan for a 90-100 degree turn.

Last edited:
I have a hard evo like sobek/Honey that I am currently working on getting to be a roller for shorter distances and to get out of trouble.

I roll a bunch of discs.

Backhand rollers
For short (under 200) I use a super soft gateway magic

For short-medium (under 300) I use a discraft esp meteor

For medium-long rollers (under 350) I use a dynamic discs lucid thief

For long rollers (350+) I use a beat up star destroyer or a prodigy d3

Forehand
Star Gator
Opto Xxx (got a roller ace with this one)
Lucid Felon
Goldline Enforcer

To the OP, what hole is it and where?

#17, Alexander Park, Lawrenceville, GA. OB lake to the left, big oak tree branches over fairway create a tunnel with fairway past the tree. If one is to the right of center and the basket is in the farthest back position, an air shot is possible but difficult, and I thought a roller might work better....

Oooh, learning to roll near water - very brave! I would definitely start w base plastics; as much as you field practice before playing that hole, the OAT monkey is sure to be calling the Lady-O-the-Lake!

Oooh, learning to roll near water - very brave! I would definitely start w base plastics; as much as you field practice before playing that hole, the OAT monkey is sure to be calling the Lady-O-the-Lake!

The shot(s) I'm thinking of won't really have the water in play, as the fairway beyond the tree with the overhanging branches doesn't have the lake to the left that far down. Apologies if the way I said it earlier was misleading.

And yes, I do intend to practice, and a lot, before trying a roller on any hole in an actual round...

I dont roll mids often but use a tournament tursas on the rare occasion I do. I find that my tournament underworld is the best driver for rolling.

Latest posts