• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best driver for straight shots?

Elite Z XL, the most controllable driver on the market.

I do own a TeeBird, and while I do like it, and it does fly straight, I can't get it to perform the same way forehand as it does back hand. My average throws are around 250 to 275, and the TB is one of the few discs I've gotten out to 300'.

When I throw it forehand with hyzer, it will roll over to the left and turn into a roller. One of the reasons, I like my beast, it works the mirrored when I throw it BH or FH.
I think you are torquing it over if a Teebird is turning into a roller under 300' (unless it's very very beat dx). It might do you well to practice your forehand form with the teebird until you can get it to fly straight. Getting way more overstable discs to compensate a form flaw is going to hurt in the long run.

I would try a Stalker. Mine goes almost dead straight. I also have a beat in Pro D Destroyer that goes pretty straight now that its beat in.

1. I've tried my Wraith and Beast with pretty much the same flight.
2.I've never paced it off accurately, I'm guessing 250' before it breaks to the right, which is about a normal throw for me.
3. Never paced it, but 50 to 75', 100 tops.

I don't think I have answered those questions. Thanks for asking!
Donald

The Wraith and Beast should work fairly well for a "straight" FH shot. It may not actually be straight, but since you need the extra distance it should be alright.

If you're getting about the same distance throwing down the hill then you are most likely throwing it too high. Going down hill should give you a pretty large gain in distance. The key is to throw down the hill. You're right when you say it stalls out. Basically, you want to throw so that the disc is still going parallel with the ground (maybe not quite, but you get the point), no different than if the hill was flat. This is a lot easier if the tee is on the slope, but if the slope starts in front of the tee then you want to get as close to the lip as you can without hitting the ground. If you do this than an additional 50-75 feet over your flat land distance shouldn't be too difficult to get (assuming the hill doesn't have a really gentle slope).

Don't worry about keeping the nose down too much. Nose down on a FH throw is a little different than a BH. Basically, if you just try to keep the throw low, you should have pretty good success with it.

TL's and Leopards are the straightest fairways out there, by straight i mean, flip up flat and hold that line. The XS is also a good disc for that and lest we forget the XL. All these discs do basically the same thing, with the XL and TL being longer and the Leopard and XS being a tad bit shorter (like 10 - 15 feet maybe). It really comes down to what feels good in your hand. PS below is a list of other strong contenders.

JLS
Beat in Teebird
Beat in Eagle
Eagle L
Beat in Stalker
ESP Cyclone

Which driver is straight? Well, that really depends because the answer changes depending on the thrower. As others have noted, it might be a matter of technique for you right now as it sounds like your discs are stalling out at around 200-250' and then fading off to the right on an RHFH throw. A little less elevation on your throw (either flatter or even a bit downhill) might help.

That said, here are some of my favourite straight throwers:

1. Aero. The first disc designed for disc golf and I still keep two of em in my bag because they are without a doubt the most dependable discs in there. Hard to flip them over but at the same time there's no low speed fade in them really (unless you stall them with too much elevation). Why there isn't one in everyone's bag is beyond me (other than for dedicated FH throwers).
2. Eclipse. Especially when new and as long as you don't overpower them and flip them over.
3. Leopard. Again, if you start throwing with a lot of spin they will start turning over. I can fairly accurately throw them straight out to 300'. That said, I'm also overpowering this one and flipping it a bit much lately so I'm moving on to Viking and Stalker.
4. Pro Firebird (which uses the FL mold). Has a bit of fade, but if you get a lot on it and keep it fairly low you can get a lot of straight distance.

For me the beast and wraith haven't been go to straight discs. I found (and really remember here that each player has their own preferences) that the beast wasn't as predictable as many of my other discs. A friend of mine hated his eclipse while I love mine (of course his was a very beat in understable one that flipped too easy). For many players a Roc is a great straight disc with little fade at the 300' range. For me the wraith almost always has a fair bit of fade unless there's a cross wind left to right (as a LHBH thrower).

Another possibility to consider as a right hander wanting to finish right is an understable disc that isn't flippy for you and backhand it with a bit of anny and throw it hard. I use an eclipse and stratus generally for those duties although an aero will hold whatever edge you give it.

I think you are torquing it over if a Teebird is turning into a roller under 300' (unless it's very very beat dx). It might do you well to practice your forehand form with the teebird until you can get it to fly straight. Getting way more overstable discs to compensate a form flaw is going to hurt in the long run.

I have the same problem with my Leopards, and it's in under 100' to 150'. It's kind of pretty to watch and now that it's predictable, I might actually be able to use it to my advantage sometime.

I have tried to throw them forehand without getting them to roll. I normally give a pretty good flick of the wrist. I have to hold my wrist stiff, and focus on not flicking it to get them to fly with out turning into a roller.

I maybe wrong, but I don't think I have any OAT because I'm putting my middle finger on the inside lip, and my index finger on top of it. I used to play a LOT of racquetball and it's pretty much the same as a low forehand drive with a racquet. If I was turning my hand over and I would know it, the motion seems totally unatural to me. One of the reasons I loved RB and not tennis, which requires the hand to turn over to keep the ball from sailing out of bounds.

I may have to try and video tape it, put it on youtube and start a thread asking for thoughts on how to fix my throw?

Thanks!
Donald

Champ Groove works great for FH in my opinion.

RHBH, however, my go to disc for long straight shots is the STAR MAKO. Second choice - star valkyrie. Both of these are easily annied for the dogleg right.

I like to throw a pretty beat TeeBird for these. Just throw a gentle hyzer-flip and it usually flips up pretty straight and finishes without much fade.

Latest posts