• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Best driver on the market

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Obviously this is only one man's opinion, but lately I've been convinced that there simply isn't a better/more useful driver on the market than the Thunderbird. The damn disc does everything. It can be ripped for max power and still not flip over. It can be finessed nicely for shorter, accurate drives.

I've been bagging a 175 champ Thunderbird for a few months and I'm finding myself reaching for it more and more often. The disc goes where I want it with deadly accuracy. It has no high speed turn, yet will hold a flat line for the great majority of flight. For being a speed 9 its surprisingly zippy and long, just a hair shorter than my star Destroyer or Boss. The Thunderbird works very well in headwinds, cross winds, or even downwind. Wind doesn't seem to affect the disc at all.

The Thunderbird is a driver I'd throw with utter confidence on holes where accuracy and distance are needed. What really sells me on it is the fact that the Thunderbird can achieve very good distance without needing any high speed turn or S curve. It will never flip over randomly and not come back.

I won't claim that the Thunderbird is my longest disc. It isn't. However, it has easily become my most consistent/accurate flier. I also bag a champion Teebird, but I find the Thunderbird to be a better overall disc. Its a tad longer and less prone to flipping in headwinds than a Teebird.

Furthermore, I find the flight numbers printed on the disc to be spot on. 9, 5, 0, 2. No high speed turn and a fairly gradual late fade. Not a real sharp, dumpy fade like some other drivers. The Thunderbird is an absolute winner and I think everyone who throws Innova should make room in their bag for at least one of them.

I do agree it's a winner, but it's impossible to name a best disc. I don't get the distance out of it that some claim relative to my high speed drivers, but the consistency, predictability/ranging, and versatility make it a go to every time I'm playing. Plus with its life cycle and bit of stability range without being in the Destroyer range of "any disc possible" it is throwable by so many players. A lower power player can use a fresh Thunderbird like a pro would use a thrower Firebird. A higher arm speed player can use it for anything. It's also one of the best FH discs for me with the combination of speed, glide, HSS, and wind resistance. I'm surprised I don't see pro's in tourney footage FH'ing them more often, at their power I would think it would be a go to for 300-350' straight shots.

DISClaimer: I know a lot of people like Thunderbirds, and that it's objectively a pretty good mold.

--BUT--

I tried one last year, and it just wasn't for me. Seemed like it was trying to fill a basically non-existent gap between my Firebird and my XCal/OS Destro slot. I was looking for something that would sit right between the FB and SW/RR slots, but the Thundie was not that, even after a few months of bashing it against sandstone. When I lost it, I wasn't even sad, even tho it was a very nice looking disc. It just never added any usefulness to my bag; nothing I couldn't do at least as well with another disc.

Watching James Conrad rip a star Thunderbird in Nashville makes me think you are spot on with that theory.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

'Tis a good disc, and I've been using it a bit more. It's too beefy, imho, to be the "best driver" on the market. If you want me to take one versatile driver for a round, I'd take a Star Beast over a Thunderbird. But it's a nice mix of usable overstability.

I do agree it's a winner, but it's impossible to name a best disc. I don't get the distance out of it that some claim relative to my high speed drivers, but the consistency, predictability/ranging, and versatility make it a go to every time I'm playing. Plus with its life cycle and bit of stability range without being in the Destroyer range of "any disc possible" it is throwable by so many players. A lower power player can use a fresh Thunderbird like a pro would use a thrower Firebird. A higher arm speed player can use it for anything. It's also one of the best FH discs for me with the combination of speed, glide, HSS, and wind resistance. I'm surprised I don't see pro's in tourney footage FH'ing them more often, at their power I would think it would be a go to for 300-350' straight shots.

The forehand thing is interesting to me too. I bet Nate could use it some of the shots where he uses his Sextons. Paul seems so comfortable with his Destroyers that he seems to forehand little else, and why mess with success?

Watching James Conrad rip a star Thunderbird in Nashville makes me think you are spot on with that theory.

Yes but he threw his Scorpius longer. Doubt I could do much with a Scorpius.

There is no 'best disc on the market'.

Yes but he threw his Scorpius longer. Doubt I could do much with a Scorpius.

There is no 'best disc on the market'.
Oh for sure he does!! That pink Scorpius is deadly! It was more the control aspect with the thunderbird, and how much he leaned on it on some longer drives that most people were throwing max D drivers. I know last year he was throwing a G star thundy in the woods because it was a little more "flippy" for him. Anyone else experience this? I've never ventured outside of star/champ.

I had the best driver ever. Had. White 170 Legacy Icon Cannon. They don't call them Cannons for nothing! Got it worn in to perfection. Would turn flat and glide forever .... then I lost it. So if anyone finds it, it's the best driver ever and yeah I want it back! Haven't taken the time to wear in another Cannon. Went with Star Terns now.

I enjoy the Thunderbird as well. My label of 'best driver' would go to the Valkyrie. Just more useful for wider range of players. It's been around for so long and to this day is a great seller. My favorite Valyries are the production Champion Glow they put out lately. I hope they keep making them. Flat & they stay stable for so long.

What sold me was the fact that the Thunderbird will perform at least adequately in any wind condition. It holds steady in headwinds and cross breezes and does surprisingly well downwind. The Teebird is an honorable mention for me, but I like the Thunderbird better. The extra speed really shows up when you need a 410' rip vs the 375' I can reliably get with a Teebird.

FWIW, I'm throwing my Thunderbird a tad over 400'. I can see guys who only throw 300' not liking it as much. The Thunderbird takes a pretty good rip to flatten out for long flights. I'm really digging it because you can absolutely lean on a Thunderbird and not flip it. Same straight flight at 100% power.

I could probably use the Thunderbird for all the shots I currently use a star Destroyer for and lose maybe 10' of distance. That said, I really do like the star Destroyer and throw it often. I've had the same Destroyer in the bag for a long time and its also a very consistent, accurate flier.

Last edited:
I enjoy the Thunderbird as well. My label of 'best driver' would go to the Valkyrie. Just more useful for wider range of players. It's been around for so long and to this day is a great seller. My favorite Valyries are the production Champion Glow they put out lately. I hope they keep making them. Flat & they stay stable for so long.

I may have to give the Valk another try. Probably been years since I threw one. Champ Valks are pretty mellow and seem to be able to handle pretty big rips.

My thunderbird is great but I just barely don't have the arm for it. Probably a few months (getting better fairly fast). For now my teebirds and rivals will hold down that slot

Tried different types of 9 speed drivers and I find myself throwing my Eagles (EX) just as far if not further.

EDIT: 350 range or so. I get that speed 9's fly a lower line but I notice the difference between them and the Eagle negilible.

Last edited:
I tried one last year, and it just wasn't for me. Seemed like it was trying to fill a basically non-existent gap between my Firebird and my XCal/OS Destro slot.

Honestly this is pretty true for my arm speed too. In calm conditions it's same distance as a beat in XCal or straight to fade Destroyer, but it lets me back off a little more and the shot gets out there on glide and sweep hyzer rather than speed then dump fade. I started leaning on the Thunderbird way more than the Destroyer, it took over so many shots that don't require a spike angle or hard skip. However in wind the Destroyer is necessary. Although it didn't appear to be a big gap for me, I definitely gained a ton more consistency and over time I just kept grabbing the Thunderbird for those shots.